Author Topic: The famous iPod music players will soon be history?  (Read 6701 times)

markie

Re: The famous iPod music players will soon be history?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 10:31:00 am »

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:53:00 am »
Careful, Jobs might sue you guys for posting anything Apple related.  I would be very, very quiet.....
27>34

markie

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 11:56:00 am »
It was announced at the last keynote.

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 12:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Miss MArKiE?:
  It was announced at the last keynote.
Oh, you think Jobs does it because he has the right...  

Wrong.  He does it for press coverage, but he still sticks you with the legal bills.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 12:26:00 pm »
Nokia phones suck.

ratioci nation

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 12:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 Oh, you think Jobs does it because he has the right...  

Wrong.  He does it for press coverage, but he still sticks you with the legal bills.
is your anti-Jobs soapbox a sony as well?

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 12:37:00 pm »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 12:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollardteam2:
  is your anti-Jobs soapbox a sony as well?
I've actually relegated my Vaio Laptop to internet only status and replaced it with an eMachines desktop.  You know, price and functionality over expensive hardware and bloated software packages?  Actually, maybe you don't know the difference.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 12:47:00 pm »
Think Belligerent

Steve Jobs will do anything to protect his precious secrets. So he's suing Apple's biggest fans. Inside the Mac daddy's battle with the rumor blogs.
 By Tom McNichol

Nick Ciarelli is the kind of guy Apple is supposed to love. At age 6, he began using his parents' Mac Classic and quickly became a zealot. At 13, he launched a Web site devoted to all things Apple, especially upcoming product releases. Now 19, Ciarelli has turned the site, Think Secret, into a must-read for true Apple fans. Few suspect that the person writing so authoritatively under the name Nick dePlume wasn't even born when the Macintosh was introduced. Young, a bit brash, and not afraid to think different, Ciarelli has become a personification of Apple itself.

So why is the company trying to squash him? In the weeks leading up to this year's Macworld Expo in San Francisco, Think Secret published a string of exclusives about forthcoming Apple products. Ciarelli predicted the debut of the Mac mini, a sub-$500 headless iMac. He also anticipated the launch of the iPod shuffle and of iLife '05 with GarageBand 2. Think Secret was, it turns out, right about all three. Apple, led by hyper-controlling chief executive Steve Jobs, congratulated Ciarelli by faxing him a 19-page lawsuit, Apple Computer Inc. v. Nick dePlume. The suit alleges that Ciarelli violated the Uniform Trade Secrets Act by soliciting information from sources inside Apple and posting it on his site. Apple demanded that Ciarelli pay damages and hand over his profits.

The company has also hit Think Secret and two other enthusiast sites, PowerPage.org and AppleInsider, with a separate suit, filed to obtain the identities of the people who were leaking product information. In March, a California Superior Court judge ruled that the sites had no right to protect their sources or withhold unpublished material. The Electronic Frontier Foundation has stepped in to appeal the ruling, arguing that online journalists have the same right to protect sources as traditional journalists do.

Until the suits were filed, Apple seemed to be enjoying a symbiotic relationship with Ciarelli and his peers. The obsessed fans would dole out any scrap of inside dope they could gather, and Apple, in turn, would benefit from the intrigue and publicity generated. But the lawsuits sent a clear message: Apple wanted out. "I still love Apple products," says Ciarelli, now a freshman at Harvard, where he runs Think Secret out of his dorm. "That hasn't changed. But obviously, I wish I weren't involved in a lawsuit. The techniques I use to gather information are legal. This wouldn't be happening to The New York Times."

That's because the Times, along with other major news organizations, is unlikely to be intimidated by Apple's muscle - and Jobs knows that he needs the mainstream media to wage his remarkably effective publicity campaigns. In fact, Apple's crackdown on three obscure enthusiast sites may well have less to do with protecting trade secrets and more to do with creating buzz.

Viewed in that light, the lawsuits have already been a success. Apple filed against Ciarelli on January 4, seven days before the products he wrote about were formally announced. It was a tacit admission that Think Secret's information was largely accurate - and it triggered coverage not only of the forthcoming Mac mini and the iPod shuffle but also of Jobs' keynote. Two months later, news about the lawsuit was still showing up on the front page of the Times and The Wall Street Journal. "Usually, a rumor like this is good news for a company because you get the story twice," says Gary Fine, a sociology professor at Northwestern University and coauthor of Rumor and Gossip: The Social Psychology of Hearsay. "You get the rumor about the new product, and then you get the official announcement. But in this case, maybe Apple wanted to get the story three times: the rumor, the lawsuit, and then the announcement."

Even if publicity was the real motivation behind Apple's legal maneuvers, the company is not, of course, owning up to it. Apple won't comment on the lawsuits at all, except in a statement asserting that the defendants "stole our trade secrets and posted detailed information about an unannounced Apple product on the Internet. The protection of our trade secrets is crucial to our success."

It's true that any company in a cutthroat business needs to keep a tight lid on product rollout schedules. But Think Secret's scoop about the Mac mini gave rivals a mere week's notice - hardly time to gin up a press release, much less a competing product. What's more, the news wasn't exactly shocking. "We have tons of examples of people speculating about a headless Mac as far back as 2003," says Terry Gross, a San Francisco attorney who's representing Ciarelli. "So I'm not sure how they can say that's a trade secret. This lawsuit is really about intimidation."

That's a word that has become synonymous with Apple, where the urge to clamp down on information sometimes borders on paranoia. Employees must sign nondisclosure agreements; job interviewees aren't allowed to visit the rest room unaccompanied lest they get a glimpse of something unauthorized. In January, when bloggers from an enthusiast site stood outside San Francisco's Moscone Center and photographed Life Is Random posters 48 hours before the phrase was to become the iPod shuffle's ubiquitous tagline, an Apple crew rushed outside and forced them to delete their photos.

This control-freak impulse comes straight from the top. Chief executives of major companies have just so much time for the media, no matter how much they value the power of publicity. But Jobs is unique in the way he manages external communications. He rarely grants interviews or sits for photographs. When he does talk, all discussion leads back to the product he's promoting. And when he grants a photo shoot, it's with the Apple product in hand.

Ever since Jobs returned to Apple in 1997, the company has used the threat of lawsuits to try to stop magazines like MacWeek from publishing tip sheets and product speculation columns. If the control fetish has reached new heights with a war on the company's biggest fans, that's because, from Apple's viewpoint, there is no other option. Computer trade glossies are always weighing the benefits of printing inside information against the threat of losing access to Apple or its ads. "We don't do rumors," says Macworld editor in chief Jason Snell. "There's a benefit to having a good relationship with Apple; they're more open to media outlets that play ball." But the enthusiast sites don't get interviews with company officials or Apple advertising revenue, so they have few disincentives to publish speculation. As a result, Apple has turned to its last resort - the courts.

There's a risk, of course, in taking a swipe at the Apple zealots. "I've done nothing but create community for Apple, and this is what I get," laments Jason O'Grady, who has run PowerPage.org since 1995. "The shine has come off Apple for me."

Running a tightly controlled company has worked well for Jobs. But being a little out of control can pay dividends, too - by fostering creative freedom, not to mention goodwill. Jobs need only look at his own slogans. Life Is Random. Enjoy Uncertainty. At Apple, this is marketing, not a way of life.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.05/apple.html
27>34

ratioci nation

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 12:49:00 pm »
  I've actually relegated my Vaio Laptop to internet only status and replaced it with an eMachines desktop.  You know, price and functionality over expensive hardware and bloated software packages?  Actually, maybe you don't know the difference.
yep you got me pegged, the only "expensive" computer I have is my laptop, my mac is a second generation imac i got after the 3rd generation came out and my desktop which I do most of my work on was several hundred dollars under a grand

I have never been one to say apple is better than pcs no matter what, you are the one with the bee in your bonnet over jobs, again in this thread you took it down that road

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 01:04:00 pm »
Since the Onion went pay for their archives i've had to google to find them, this one was posted in a forum and the first reply was:

"I thought that's what Apple was all about.... I say give him his job back."

I love stupid people.

-----------------------------------------

Apple Employee Fired For Thinking Different....

CUPERTINO, CAâ??Brent Barlow, 27, a software analyst and beta-tester at Apple Computer headquarters in Cupertino, was fired Monday for "thinking a little too different."

Apple spokespersons said the firing was necessary because Barlow "consistently failed to adhere to the normal standards of conduct and daily routines expected of employees of Apple Computer."

Among the floutings of convention cited in Barlow's Apple employee file: developing a pulley system to store his mountain bike above his workstation, listening to Bob Dylan on his headphones while testing software, and taking barefoot walks around the Apple campus to "feel more connected to the creative energy of others."

"It's okay to think outside the box," said Avie Tevanian, Apple senior vice-president of software engineering. "In fact, we very much encourage that sort of thing here at Apple. But in Mr. Barlow's case, he went just a bit too far."

Barlow was first written up in September 1996, when he was cited for "unprofessional and inappropriate personal modifications to his workspace." In addition to taped-up pictures of Mahatma Gandhi, Albert Einstein and R. Buckminster Fuller, Barlow painted a large red question mark on the side of his monitor, scanned and displayed a non-approved desktop screen image of Jim Henson, and replaced his computer's trademarked Apple system beep with a snippet of the John Lennon song "Imagine."

"I like to explore problems from unusual angles," said the ponytailed Barlow, cleaning out the desk he has occupied since joining Apple in 1995. "And being in a free-form environment of my own creation really helps me get in the right frame of mind."

Barlow's most recent formal write-up came last Thursday, when his team supervisor caught him doing a headstand.

"I was stuck on this bug I discovered in the new Mac OS X system software that Apple's developing. No matter what I tried, nothing worked," Barlow said. "So I thought to myself, what I need to do is turn my whole approach to this problem upside-down. And what better way to do that than by standing on your head?"

In an effort to prevent such incidents of "excessive iconoclasm" in the future, Apple has developed a manual outlining the company's rules and regulations regarding individualism. Permitted will be such unorthodox activities as removing shoes when seated or within four feet of a desk; whistling when given prior written permission from a direct supervisor; and kicking puddles, provided the kicking is conducted during one's lunch hour and the puddle is one of the 35 on the Apple campus specifically designated for such a purpose. Prohibited will be such "gratuitously idiosyncratic" behaviors as singing out loud, flying kites and catching butterflies.

"Of course, we want our employees to be individuals and 'do their own thing,' so to speak," Apple director of corporate communications Michael Landau said. "But Mr. Barlow's behavior consistently crossed the line. If he wants to think that different, he can do it on his own time."
(o|o)

markie

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 01:26:00 pm »

What is wrong with you today?

Menstral Cramps? The clap?

Why take a perfectly dull thread in this direction, again?

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 01:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollardteam2:
  yep you got me pegged, the only "expensive" computer I have is my laptop, my mac is a second generation imac i got after the 3rd generation came out and my desktop which I do most of my work on was several hundred dollars under a grand
You'd buy a new one if they weren't so expensive.

I'm sorry for picking on your guys' little hero.  Believe me, when I go to Cupertino to meet with the Apple folks, we have similar discussions all the time - they actually enjoy it more than I do.  I'm just a little tired of watching Apple make the same mistakes over and over again.  

For example, anybody want to take a bet on whether the new Motorola iTunes phones will have both CDMA and GMS versions or just GMS?  I'm certain the Smart Phones will have both a GMS and CDMA version.  

Motorola stopped making new phones for Sprint customers, does this mean no iTunes phones for Sprint Customers?  Of course it does, for a while anyway.  

And here's the kicker, I fully expect a Cell phone co. to go after an exclusive deal for the iPhone (wouldn't you?)and Apple/Motorola to sign it, again limiting them to a small market.  Here's the difference this time: people are locked in to long term contracts and won't be able to change companies, giving the competition plenty of time to catch up. Oy vey.

Nonetheless, I'll buy iCon this weekend and probably won't put it down.
27>34

markie

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 01:34:00 pm »

And here's the kicker, I fully expect a Cell phone co. to go after an exclusive deal for the iPhone (wouldn't you?)and Apple/Motorola to sign it, again limiting them to a small market.  Here's the difference this time: people are locked in to long term contracts and won't be able to change companies, giving the competition plenty of time to catch up.

That is better. At least it is interesting. I guess apple are tied to motorola. My guess if they could make a good job of the phone a lot of people would switch carriers.

But from all that has been said it looks like it is just going to be a phone that handles itunes, rather than an ipod that incorporates a phone. Which in my opinion is a big mistake.