Author Topic: grog & tankerd  (Read 23298 times)

Re: grog & tankerd
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2003, 12:03:00 pm »
Not really. I tend to be more inspired my nature's creations than by man's creations. You know, like blue skies, green grass, beautiful mountains, placid beaches.

As far as man's creations, I'm more thankful and feel uplifted for stuff like indoor plumbing, dentist's equipment (I'm going today), and eyeglasses that help me see than I am for frovolities such as art.

I mean, art is nice I guess, but I'd much rather look down from a mountain and see the view rather than look at a picture on a wall.

Originally posted by markie:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  What do people need other than cd's, some functional clothes, household items, and good eats? I mean, what other material items are really necessary for happiness?

Why is it cool to look at overpriced stuff? I think the world is just too full of goddamn sutff.

With that kind of attitude men would still be living in caves and Cds would never have been invented. Isnt part of the human condition to always strive for something better?

Most of the things I namechecked could be described, at least loosely, as art. Does art not lift your soul? [/b]

« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2003, 12:07:00 pm »
Of course when I speak of frivolity, frivolity comes in degrees. I guess there is just too much shit produced in the world. I mean, just think of all the "stuff" that is made in the attempts to sell it and make money. There is just too much useless shit in the world.

Jaguär

« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2003, 12:15:00 pm »
Rhett, your kids are going to hate Christmas and birthdays.

« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2003, 12:21:00 pm »
Go to a flea market in Frederick and see if you don't disagree with me.

markie

« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2003, 12:29:00 pm »
The joys of living in a capitalist consumer society. If you dont like it you know where you can go.

People buy what they want. If people have bad judgement and terrible taste then that is their want.

You are stabbing at the heart of art and freedom now. Why not add a few anti-humanist jibes to complete the trilogy?

Jaguär

« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2003, 12:34:00 pm »
I think Rhett is again forgetting that not everyone wants to live his life. Not that there is anything wrong with his life, it's just not everyones' choice.

mankie

« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2003, 12:35:00 pm »

Not really. I tend to be more inspired my nature's creations than by man's creations. You know, like blue skies, green grass, beautiful mountains, placid beaches.

They have all that stuff over here in the USA so why did you waste all your money going to Europe...pretty bloody frivolous of you if you ask me.

« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2003, 12:41:00 pm »
Well why would you go th a musuem in NYC if you can go to a museum in DC? If it's something you appreciate, you enjoy the subtle differences that a different mountain has (or the nudity of a European beach) If it's something you don't appreciate, you're right...it's all basically the same.

Originally posted by mankie:

They have all that stuff over here in the USA so why did you waste all your money going to Europe...pretty bloody frivolous of you if you ask me. [/b]

mankie

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2003, 12:48:00 pm »
 [QB]

Well why would you go th a musuem in NYC if you can go to a museum in DC? If it's something you appreciate, you enjoy the subtle differences that a different mountain has (or the nudity of a European beach) If it's something you don't appreciate, you're right...it's all basically the same.

I thought only low-lifes enjoyed seeing naked women...and why not just drive to NC, WVA or PA to see their mountains...different from VA ones, and a lot less expensive to get there.

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2003, 12:53:00 pm »
Only low life PAY to see naked women, while keeping their own clothes on.

Having been to the mountains in NC, WV, and PA, I don't see them as drastically different than those in VA. Yes, they make for pleasant road trips, but they're certainly not the Alps.

[QB]

I thought only low-lifes enjoyed seeing naked women...and why not just drive to NC, WVA or PA to see their mountains...different from VA ones, and a lot less expensive to get there. [/b]

markie

« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2003, 12:57:00 pm »

[QB]
 I thought only low-lifes enjoyed seeing naked women [/b]
mankie finally admits to being gay?

The nude female form is a figure of absolute beauty. why do you think it is the subject of so much art?

« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2003, 12:57:00 pm »
  Only low life PAY to see naked women, while keeping their own clothes on. BEING nude is at least as much fun as seeing other people nude.

Having been to the mountains in NC, WV, and PA, I don't see them as drastically different than those in VA. Yes, they make for pleasant road trips, but they're certainly not the Alps.

[QB]

I thought only low-lifes enjoyed seeing naked women...and why not just drive to NC, WVA or PA to see their mountains...different from VA ones, and a lot less expensive to get there. [/b]
[/b]

« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
He was referring to my comments yesterday that losers frequent strip clubs, get with the program Markie.

[QB]
 I thought only low-lifes enjoyed seeing naked women [/b]
mankie finally admits to being gay?

The nude female form is a figure of absolute beauty. why do you think it is the subject of so much art? [/b]

markie

« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2003, 01:04:00 pm »
 [QB] He was referring to my comments yesterday that losers frequent strip clubs, get with the program Markie.

I know, it just seemed like a statement pregnant with ridicule. I couldnt help myself.

Is there any straight man that does not enjoy the beauty of a naked woman?

« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2003, 01:06:00 pm »
I don't know, I can imagine some geek scientists or statisticians or economists who are probably so into their work that they could care less about naked women.

If only nature granted us the ability to ONLY appreciate our maked spouses...I guess that's something we have to train ourselves to do.

[QB] He was referring to my comments yesterday that losers frequent strip clubs, get with the program Markie.

I know, it just seemed like a statement pregnant with ridicule. I couldnt help myself.

Is there any straight man that does not enjoy the beauty of a naked woman? [/b]