Author Topic: spoon cancels so they can play with the shins at merriwe  (Read 27073 times)

frazman

Re: spoon cancels so they can play with the shins at merriwe
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  well

thing is...spoon was booked at club...then shins got booked at merriweather...so it seemed stupid to have both shows same night

so I figured we'd combine them and offer the people that already bought spoon tickets the chance to simply go to merriweather for no extra money, or upgrade to a pavilion seat for a discount, or get their money back

not sure how we screwed anyone except for the disappointment of Spoon not playing the club

but you can all blame me not them
I really appreciate the explanation. However, I remain very disappointed indeed. I was really looking forward to seeing them at the club, playing a full set.

Seeing them just do a support slot for a band that I don't like at a less desirable venue that is impossible for me to get to is not a good alternative.

Anyways, I'll get over it but when I got the email i was absolutely raging and i definitely won't be going to Merriweather.

It is my belief that they shouldn't cancel unless for reasons of illness or bereavement, i don't think that is fair to fans.

Just my $.02 . .

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »
I'm thrilled!.  Bought my Shins tix and now extra bonus of seeing Spoon.  Thanks Seth!

azaghal1981

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2007, 10:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust featuring j. marshmallow:
  I guess people are disappointed because they wanted to see Spoon in a smaller setting and do a longer set.
yep
احمد

sonickteam2

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by reggie:
  i'd be curious to find out how many people upgrade their spoon tickets to see this gig at merriweather.

pros:
 i get to see spoon

cons:
 driving to merriweather.
 driving to merriweather on a monday.
 seeing spoon play for (probably) an hour - they just have too many good songs, that's not enough time.
 seeing the shins and their boring ass stage presence try to captivate a big crowd.

i'll pass. maybe spoon will play a proper headlining gig in dc after they finish the fall tour.
lets not forget that it will be Merriweather, outside, a week before Halloween, so you may just freeze your ass off in the process!

sch2383

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »
  well

thing is...spoon was booked at club...then shins got booked at merriweather...so it seemed stupid to have both shows same night

so I figured we'd combine them and offer the people that already bought spoon tickets the chance to simply go to merriweather for no extra money, or upgrade to a pavilion seat for a discount, or get their money back

not sure how we screwed anyone except for the disappointment of Spoon not playing the club

but you can all blame me not them
It screws the people who cannot get to Merriweather or those who have to leave their house before 7 to make it to work on time.  It screws the Spoon fans who actually want to see the band play a full set to a packed house instead of a short one to a mostly disinterested audience.  

I was incredibly excited to see Spoon (it was going to be my first time) but now that it is at Merriweather on a weeknight, it is totally impossible (or rather incredibly impractical) for me to go.  

I'm sure it makes sense financially and I appreciate you being a stand up guy, but I believe there are more people pissed about this than are happy.

lukiedookie89

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2007, 01:06:00 am »
Yeah, I'm dissapointed too.  I'm headed to the Birchmere on Shins night, but I was probably gonna see Spoon on their other 9:30 date.  
 At least this means that they'll probably be back soon....?

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2007, 04:11:00 am »
Thoroughly disappointed. I was really looking forward to them playing here, and selling out the club. Instead they'll be playing to a bunch of disinterested fans, as someone already said, and more probably only 40-or so minutes.

I know there are a lot of Spoon fans who are loathing this.

(BUT, is Spoon still playing the 10/23 date?)
Woof.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2007, 09:49:00 am »
they are playing a full set, there's a band on before them so you don't have to get there too early, and most people I know that like one band llike the other

there will be the people who used to like the Shins but now they're "too big" and not their proud little secret discovery anymore but, as everyone knows from my previous posts, I have no time for people like that

I am sorry that people are disappointed...I would be too if I were looking forward to seeing them at 930...but there's a big difference between that and being "screwed"

hopefully it will be a great show that people will enjoy as a chance to see 2 great bands for less than if they had paid to see both

frazman

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »
  they are playing a full set, there's a band on before them so you don't have to get there too early, and most people I know that like one band llike the other

there will be the people who used to like the Shins but now they're "too big" and not their proud little secret discovery anymore but, as everyone knows from my previous posts, I have no time for people like that

I am sorry that people are disappointed...I would be too if I were looking forward to seeing them at 930...but there's a big difference between that and being "screwed"

hopefully it will be a great show that people will enjoy as a chance to see 2 great bands for less than if they had paid to see both
Is there any reason that they can't play the date on the 23rd?

That seems to me like it would be a neat solution that would accommodate all fans preferences . .

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »
What kind of solution is that? It would take away from ticket sales to the Merriweather show.

Originally posted by Fadger:

That seems to me like it would be a neat solution that would accommodate all fans preferences . . [/QB]

reggie

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »

i dont think this is it. the shins still make good records. but whats the point of seeing them at merriweather when you've seen them at a smaller venue? it just wont be as good. it's not like they are a massive live force like my morning jacket.

frazman

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2007, 09:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  What kind of solution is that? It would take away from ticket sales to the Merriweather show.

Originally posted by Fadger:

That seems to me like it would be a neat solution that would accommodate all fans preferences . . [/b]
[/QB]
It would accommodate fans preferences, who I'm sure don't really care about ticket sales for Merriweather. Ticket sales for a Shins show in MD was a long way from my mind when I bought my tickets to see Spoon at the 930.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »
  ...a massive live force like my morning jacket...
ROFL

reggie

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2007, 10:39:00 pm »
Julian, good manners you are soooo edgy and controversial   :roll:

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »
  Julian, good manners you are soooo edgy and controversial     :roll:  
At least I was laughing and rolling politely and in a gentleman-ly manner.