Author Topic: How much do you spend on concert admission per year?  (Read 9927 times)

bnyced0

Re: How much do you spend on concert admission per year?
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
Originally posted by 6949:
  My friend and I decided to cut back on shows because we've been to so many good ones that we're now hard to impress.  Do any of the big spenders here or you well connected kids find yourself getting bored just because you go to so many shows?
I don't know if I go to all that many, in a raw number sense, probably average three a week over the year, but I hit more festivals than the average person which I would count as one each.

There really isn't anyone I want to see that I haven't seen, so I try to find new bands, as well as reliable favorites.  

I love to travel so that's a big part of it, so going someplace new with a show being the excuse is common.  

I also don't have as much free time as most so it's about convenience over cost, so if someone I want to see is playing in NY on the weekend and DC or Baltimore during the week I'll likely opt for NY with the added bonus that post show options are o'plenty.  

Plus I usually consider a show as the beginning of the night, I like to go dancing and generally party pretty hard so weeknights are again not optimal cause I leave for work pretty early.  

My spending is large mostly because of those constraints and prerequisites, not so much because of sheer number of shows, I'm at a point in my life where time and convenience is far more scarce/valuable than cost/money so that always takes precedence.

So no boredom is not a problem, I'm pretty selective, I don't have time just to go to a show because I don't have anything else to do, it's pretty calculated and I'm always planning 6-9 months ahead of time, especially for setting up festival runs.

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2007, 09:20:00 am »
That's my thought. The less is more theory. The less I go to, the more I enjoy those that I do so. Or at least moderation.

And like you, having gone to so many shows makes me tough to impress!

My friend and I decided to cut back on shows because we've been to so many good ones that we're now hard to impress.  Do any of the big spenders here or you well connected kids find yourself getting bored just because you go to so many shows?

sonickteam2

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2007, 09:22:00 am »
Originally posted by thatguy:
  i can't remember the last time i paid to see a show, and i go to a fair amount (not counting shows i work).  one of the perks of being in the business for a while is good connections.
no lamb of god show for you last night? fun times...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2007, 09:29:00 am »
Originally posted by bnyced0:

Originally posted by sweetcell:

Speaking of denial, am I the only one who has noticed that the biggest spenders, and most obsessive, are boardies of color?  
*ahem*:

boardee trivia: what do all three have in common? (other than an addiction to live shows, of course...)
i guess this means you win the prize, sort of...     :(
<sig>

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2007, 09:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  That's my thought. The less is more theory. The less I go to, the more I enjoy those that I do so. Or at least moderation.

And like you, having gone to so many shows makes me tough to impress!

[/b]
ok I'm a little flustered now. I thought I would get the ol' "no, your taste in music just sucks" response so I came back here ready to defend my statement. But you agree with me. Wow.
xoxo

nkotb

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2007, 09:35:00 am »
Looking at some of these totals, I had two thoughts:

1) I think I need to revise my guess.  I have a feeling I'm way too low, and I probably don't catch more than 4-6 shows a month at the most.

2) Having a trust fund must be awesome   :D  

3) Christ, after typing #2, I think I'm turning into Rhett   :eek:

bnyced0

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2007, 09:45:00 am »
You're not white, you're canadian, haven't you read the rule book?

[/b]
I was including Joe.....so that makes four
so according to you, i don't make the cut into the big spenders club? not even as the token whitey?   :(

TheDirector217

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2007, 09:46:00 am »

so according to you, i don't make the cut into the big spenders club? not even as the token whitey?      :(     [/b]
You're a little more soulful than the average Canadian I've encountered.  I'm considering giving you an honorary black person pass.  Just don't forsake it/us while you're driving.       ;)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2007, 10:15:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
   I don't go to very many "big ticket" shows
Ummm...unless you count the tickets I bought today.
   :(

SalParadise

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2007, 10:24:00 am »
about a $1000

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

I don't go to very many "big ticket" shows
Ummm...unless you count the tickets I bought today.
      :)
xoxo

bnyced0

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2007, 10:30:00 am »
Originally posted by TheDirector217:

so according to you, i don't make the cut into the big spenders club? not even as the token whitey?        :(       [/b]
You're a little more soulful than the average Canadian I've encountered.  I'm considering giving you an honorary black person pass.  Just don't forsake it/us while you're driving.         :(

andyrichter

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
so far this year i figured about $120.  an average year probably $300-$400.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2007, 11:29:00 am »
 Do any of the big spenders here or you well connected kids find yourself getting bored just because you go to so many shows?
For a lot of the bands that I've seen multiple times, with the exception of maybe Daft Punk or Massive Attack, their setlists change (sometimes radically) from show to show, which keeps me on my toes. I don't really get bored at shows. Tired sometimes, but not really bored.
Woof.

sonickteam2

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2007, 11:40:00 am »
  You're not white, you're canadian, haven't you read the rule book?

omg