Author Topic: bands that SHOULD retire? definitely!  (Read 10989 times)

RonniStar

Re: bands that SHOULD retire? definitely!
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »
Guns-N-Roses: It's Axel Rose and bunch of hired guns touring under the GNR name. I'm in no rush to get chinese democracy, considering that album have more delays than metro in a 2 day period.

Kiss: how many more farewell tour do they need to do?

P. Diddy: stick with producing artists and sampling your parents' record collection

Limp Bizkit: The rap/rock thing is over

Scott Stapp: Enough Said!

smakawhat

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »
the one...

the GRAND DADY of them aLL...

Metallica.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2007, 02:09:00 am »
Originally posted by ayates:

Originally posted by danknugz:

jimmie's chicken shack - arent they playing in gaithersburg @ the fairgrounds pretty soon? i know someone last weekend was asking me if i wanted to go. do they even "tour" outside of Maryland????

I saw them in Chambersburg, PA one time.  A crowd of maybe 100 people...this was less than a year ago. [/b]
Where did they play? The Hitching Post? Where else would they have shows up there?

danknugz

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by smakawhat:
  the one...

the GRAND DADY of them aLL...

Metallica.
yes, they should have retired like 15 years ago.

bearman🐻

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »
The Aragon Ballroom in Chicago holds 5500 people.

My vote would be for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bjork, and Rage Against the Machine so they won't pollute any more Coachella lineups.

Bring back Screaming Trees, My Bloody Valentine, The Stone Roses, Ride, Pulp, Roxy Music, and Manic Street Preachers (w/ Richey, who was found alive by Goldenvoice, living in Borneo amongst natives). That would be hot.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2007, 09:31:00 am »
You know Metallica has a strange place in my musical heart. I really don't like their music at all, you couldn't pay me to go to a concert or sit through a full album. But for some strange reason I can understand why people really like them...what's up with that?

Bands that should never reunite.

Stone Roses
 Smiths
 Clash (even is Strummer was still alive)

I think it would be a major disapointment to those of us who remember them, so lets not spoil the memories.

Roxy Music

Why reunite when we already have Bryan Ferry touring....that's Roxy Music only without the costumes. I really don't see any difference.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
  You know Metallica has a strange place in my musical heart. I really don't like their music at all, you couldn't pay me to go to a concert or sit through a full album. But for some strange reason I can understand why people really like them...what's up with that?
i'm either not getting your point, manc, or your use of "for some strange reason".  

you don't like metallica, and "for some strange reason" you don't understand why others do?  doesn't seem that strange to me.  i don't like fallout boy, and i don't understand why others do - no strange reason involved. in fact, it makes sense that i don't understand.  but i'm probably missing something here...
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »
any band that is currently playing county fairs as a gig to have a gig.

not including the year i missed (and have hated myself ever since) sonic youth/magick markers/flaming lips at the allentown, pa fair.

Sage 703

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  The Aragon Ballroom in Chicago holds 5500 people.

My vote would be for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bjork, and Rage Against the Machine so they won't pollute any more Coachella lineups.

Bring back Screaming Trees, My Bloody Valentine, The Stone Roses, Ride, Pulp, Roxy Music, and Manic Street Preachers (w/ Richey, who was found alive by Goldenvoice, living in Borneo amongst natives). That would be hot.
Untrue, according to their website:

http://www.aragon.com/

"The venue can be arranged to accommodate events from 700 to 4,500 people."

nkotb

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »
Um, and WEEN...just to add salt to the wound.  Man, that would've ruled if not for the 5 hour drive each way and my lack of vacation days.

Originally posted by walkonby:

not including the year i missed (and have hated myself ever since) sonic youth/magick markers/flaming lips at the allentown, pa fair.

walkonby

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Um, and WEEN...just to add salt to the wound.  Man, that would've ruled if not for the 5 hour drive each way and my lack of vacation days.

[/b]
dude, i forgot about ween.  thanks for the salt.  i keep getting emails from the fair.  this year was the "american idol" year.

danknugz

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

i'm either not getting your point, manc, or your use of "for some strange reason".  

you don't like metallica, and "for some strange reason" you don't understand why others do?  doesn't seem that strange to me.  i don't like fallout boy, and i don't understand why others do - no strange reason involved. in fact, it makes sense that i don't understand.  but i'm probably missing something here... [/b]
he said "But for some strange reason I can understand why people really like them...what's up with that?"

notice he said he CAN understand why people really like them. which is kinda strange considering he doesn't like them.

metallica had a really good run at the beginning of their career. they were putting out consistantly good albums from 1983-1988. they were touring big arenas, and had good album sales without "selling out." then in the early 90s, they got the idea that they had to go mainstream, and put out the acceptable "black album" which was good, but not great. when they released Load, i lost a lot of respect for them, and it keeps dwindling year after year.

i saw them live in 94 @ merriweather, which as it turns out was a good time to see them, because Load (of shit) wasn't released yet and none of those "songs" had been put into the setlists yet.

i'm not a huge metal fan, but i still stand by the 80s metallica albums as being some of the finest albums of the entire metal genre.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by danknugz:
  notice he said he CAN understand why people really like them. which is kinda strange considering he doesn't like them.
doh.  fingers faster than eyes/brain.  thanks for clearing that up for me, all makes sense now.
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

Originally posted by nkotb:

[/b]
dude, i forgot about ween.  thanks for the salt.  i keep getting emails from the fair.  this year was the "american idol" year. [/b]
My sister lives in Allentown.  My Chemical Romance played last year.

I read an article about that line-up.  Believe it or not, it was all set in motion because Gnarls Barkley suddenly raised their price and the Allentown fair couldn't afford them anymore.

Brian

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »
  Roxy Music

Why reunite when we already have Bryan Ferry touring....that's Roxy Music only without the costumes. I really don't see any difference.
Supposedly, Roxy was going to reunite with Brian Eno to do an album and then a tour but the last I heard of it was maybe a year ago. I would love for that to happen since I've never had the opportunity to see them with Eno though I would fear a semi-limp reinactment.

Mankie, you are either forgetting or totally missing the talents of several of the other members such as Phil Manzanera and Andy McKay.