Author Topic: bands that SHOULD retire? definitely!  (Read 10995 times)

Sage 703

Re: bands that SHOULD retire? definitely!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  rush is ripe for retirement.  they haven't done anything relevant in years.  
Rush released something after Moving Pictures? I  didn't get the memo. [/b]
Do you not get  Billboard?

TheREALHunter

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheDirector217:

Originally posted by bnyced0:
  All rap artists not from one of the five boroughs of New York or West of Nevada

You're buggin' right???? I wouyld expect that someone else on the board, but not you B.  You're an educated hip-hop fan.  

Ever heard of this little group called OutKast???

8Ball & M.J.G.???

Scarface, maybe???

T.I.???

UGK????

Nah, none of 'em are anything special.  Just 4 certified legends & one dude who seems well of his way . . . You disappoint me, B. [/b]
An educated hip hop fan would know that T.I. fucking sucks, Scarface and the rest of the Geto Boys are definitely underrated though.
 At least you didn't put fucking godawful Lil' Wayne on your list of certified legends, thanks for that haha

distance

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Smashing Pumpkins
Their live show still completely kills and packs the house. If the fans like it, as clearly we do by buying up tons of tickets, then why should anyone else care[/b]
packs the house for part of the set?
 sorry, but i can't see what's so great about the 3+ hour shows, especially when 25+ minutes of that is fucking gossamer.  come on.  the floor was half empty by the end of gossamer in dc, people were flooding out by the end at the first four asheville shows and i heard similar things about the SF shows.  over-extending your welcome?

sonickteam2

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »
  they're supposed to release a new album before the end of the year.  was that a serious comment/observation?  are there any rumors out there of a break-up?
it was a joke. but do they have a record label yet?  last i remember hearing they were label shopping, which puts them at LEAST 6 months from a full release, and i cant believe they would release one themselves.

Sage 703

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:

Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Smashing Pumpkins
Their live show still completely kills and packs the house. If the fans like it, as clearly we do by buying up tons of tickets, then why should anyone else care[/b]
packs the house for part of the set?
 sorry, but i can't see what's so great about the 3+ hour shows, especially when 25+ minutes of that is fucking gossamer.  come on.  the floor was half empty by the end of gossamer in dc, people were flooding out by the end at the first four asheville shows and i heard similar things about the SF shows.  over-extending your welcome? [/b]
I still don't understand the complaint about a show being "too long."  If you want to leave, then just leave.

Ticket sales remain the telling point here: the vast majority, if not all, of the dates the Pumpkins have played in the States have or are sold out.

Sage 703

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 03:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:

they're supposed to release a new album before the end of the year.  was that a serious comment/observation?  are there any rumors out there of a break-up?
it was a joke. but do they have a record label yet?  last i remember hearing they were label shopping, which puts them at LEAST 6 months from a full release, and i cant believe they would release one themselves. [/b]
why wouldn't they release it themselves?  you're telling me Radiohead can't get a distribution deal apart from a record label?  they don't need a publicist, and I'm sure they can get a booking agent...

distance

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007, 03:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  I still don't understand the complaint about a show being "too long."  If you want to leave, then just leave.

Ticket sales remain the telling point here: the vast majority, if not all, of the dates the Pumpkins have played in the States have or are sold out.
a) if i'm recording the show, which i was at the sp shows i went to this year, i don't really want to leave.  i also don't really want to leave and miss out on billy pulling some random obscure song out of his ass that might actuall be decent.  i would rather not have to sit through 'heavy metal machine', 'blue skies bring tears, gosammer or most of the material from zeitgeist, though.

b) all/most of the shows have sold out, yes, but how small have the venues been?  they've only played 1 headlining show bigger than the fillmore in this country, right? (i'm not counting live earth).  and the fall dates are mostly ~3k capacity, yes?  it's not really that close to the size venues they were playing before.  i would wager that if SP played a 930-sized venue just about anywhere it would sell out based on the size of the fanbase that would travel just for that one show.  there's a lot of rabid fans that went to 5+ shows.  that eats up a lot of tickets.

sonickteam2

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »
 why wouldn't they release it themselves?  you're telling me Radiohead can't get a distribution deal apart from a record label?  psh
because getting a distribution deal involves much more work and risk than having a cushy contract with a large record company. Radiohead is one of the few bands that could easily throw out their own records, but have chosen not to. so why would they start now? just saying, Radiohead seems to want that major label to do everything for them (and then bitch about them later).

they'll get a deal when they want one....presumably when the record is done and their deal will be "release the record AS IS"

see Thom likes having the label promote the fuck out of them, he just doesnt like them peering over his shoulder as he's recording the record.

Sage 703

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:

a) if i'm recording the show, which i was at the sp shows i went to this year, i don't really want to leave.  i also don't really want to leave and miss out on billy pulling some random obscure song out of his ass that might actuall be decent.  i would rather not have to sit through 'heavy metal machine', 'blue skies bring tears, gosammer or most of the material from zeitgeist, though.

b) all/most of the shows have sold out, yes, but how small have the venues been?  they've only played 1 headlining show bigger than the fillmore in this country, right? (i'm not counting live earth).  and the fall dates are mostly ~3k capacity, yes?  it's not really that close to the size venues they were playing before.  i would wager that if SP played a 930-sized venue just about anywhere it would sell out based on the size of the fanbase that would travel just for that one show.  there's a lot of rabid fans that went to 5+ shows.  that eats up a lot of tickets. [/b]
a) Tough shit.

b) You proved my point.  You're saying they've got to play arenas to matter?  And they're playing multiple dates at most 3k size venues (take the Tower in Philly).

Sage 703

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

why wouldn't they release it themselves?  you're telling me Radiohead can't get a distribution deal apart from a record label?  psh
because getting a distribution deal involves much more work and risk than having a cushy contract with a large record company. Radiohead is one of the few bands that could easily throw out their own records, but have chosen not to. so why would they start now? just saying, Radiohead seems to want that major label to do everything for them (and then bitch about them later).

they'll get a deal when they want one....presumably when the record is done and their deal will be "release the record AS IS"

see Thom likes having the label promote the fuck out of them, he just doesnt like them peering over his shoulder as he's recording the record. [/b]
Getting a distribution deal is NOT that hard.  If Clap Your Hands Say Yeah was able to do it, I'm sure Radiohead won't have much of a problem.

You really believe that EMI had any creative control over Amnesiac or Hail to the Thief?  Seriously?  

They haven't done it before because they were locked into a multi-album deal with EMI, which expired after Hail to the Thief.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001017730

sonickteam2

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

b) You proved my point.  You're saying they've got to play arenas to matter?  And they're playing multiple dates at most 3k size venues (take the Tower in Philly).
lets see what happens after they've toured once around, see how many people see them a second time around, once the novelty of everyone 21 and under whos never had the chance to see them is over.

their new album is boooooring.

Sage 703

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

lets see what happens after they've toured once around, see how many people see them a second time around, once the novelty of everyone 21 and under whos never had the chance to see them is over.

their new album is boooooring. [/b]
Time will tell.  I just happen to think you're wrong.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 03:18:00 pm »
Since someone else brought it up there's an article in the new Spin (with Rilo Kiley on the cover!) about this entire Smashing Pumpkins situation.  Basically it says:

1.)  When Billy toured the "The Future Embrace" everyone was bored out of their minds and would only perk up when he'd throw a Pumpkins riff in there.

2.)  Soon after Billy makes a statement "The original four will never be on a stage again."

3.)  Soon after THAT he puts a statement out saying The Smashing Pumpkins are getting back together

4.) Everyone wonders "What's up?"

5.) James Iha and D'Arcy are never contacted.

6.) Butch Vig says D'Arcy and James Iha never really played on Pumpkins records.

7.) The article veers off for a bit to say what a dick Corgan is for releasing four versions of his album.

8.) Article concludes with "Zeitgeist" debuting at #2 and the Asheville/SF shows selling out.

Brian

distance

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

their new album is boooooring.
exactly.  i saw them several times pre-breakup and i've seen them several times this year.  i was extremely disappointed overall with the end result, especially with the new material.  it wasn't that bad taking a chance when the tickets were $20-30.  i definitely wouldn't have spent $50 and not what the prices are for the upcoming fall dates.  i actually won't ever spend a dime to see them again.

distance

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »
  a) Tough shit.

you brought up the feeling about 'not leaving' and i gave you my reason.  yeah, it is tough shit and i dealt with it.

i didn't say they had to play arenas to matter.  you just said 'OH THEY'VE SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE THEY'VE PLAYED'.  if they played 100 capacity bars they would have sold out those shows too!  i don't think that the sell-outs show much of anything.  these shows had a lot of hype around them, especially with them being a bunch of shows in the same city over 2-3 week periods.  these were the first major shows outside of chicago within the US since corgan abruptly announced 1 week before the end of the US tour in 2000 that the band was breaking up.  i am sure there were a lot of people other than myself that would have put forth effort to see more on that last tour, had they known prior to the tour that that was 'it' (or at least 'it' at the time).

the asheville and SF shows were a chance that the majority of people never had -- the chance to see the band in a relatively small setting.  the last time they toured clubs... ~93? (i'm not counting the very short '99 tour or other random one-off small shows).  there was way more going on with these shows than just "smashing pumpkins played some shows that sold out".

if they continue to tour, i guaratee you that you'll see less sell-outs.