Author Topic: bands that SHOULD retire? definitely!  (Read 10992 times)

Sage 703

Re: bands that SHOULD retire? definitely!
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:

Originally posted by callat703:
  a) Tough shit.

b) You proved my point.  You're saying they've got to play arenas to matter?  And they're playing multiple dates at most 3k size venues (take the Tower in Philly).
you brought up the feeling about 'not leaving' and i gave you my reason.  yeah, it is tough shit and i dealt with it.

i didn't say they had to play arenas to matter.  you just said 'OH THEY'VE SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE THEY'VE PLAYED'.  if they played 100 capacity bars they would have sold out those shows too!  i don't think that the sell-outs show much of anything.  these shows had a lot of hype around them, especially with them being a bunch of shows in the same city over 2-3 week periods.  these were the first major shows outside of chicago within the US since corgan abruptly announced 1 week before the end of the US tour in 2000 that the band was breaking up.  i am sure there were a lot of people other than myself that would have put forth effort to see more on that last tour, had they known prior to the tour that that was 'it' (or at least 'it' at the time).

the asheville and SF shows were a chance that the majority of people never had -- the chance to see the band in a relatively small setting.  the last time they toured clubs... ~93? (i'm not counting the very short '99 tour or other random one-off small shows).  there was way more going on with these shows than just "smashing pumpkins played some shows that sold out".

if they continue to tour, i guaratee you that you'll see less sell-outs. [/b]
The tour on MACHINA was comparably sized venues.  They played the Aragon in Chicago, capacity 3k.  If I'm not mistaken, they played the 9:30 on that tour.  Correct?

And of course - that's how tours work.  If you keep doing it without releasing anything new, people lose interest.  Take the Pixies or Dinosaur Jr. as perfect examples.  

My prediction?  They finish this run through the winter, maybe play a few dates in the spring, and then start recording again and put out another album.

distance

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »
  The tour on MACHINA was comparably sized venues.  They played the Aragon in Chicago, capacity 3k.  If I'm not mistaken, they played the 9:30 on that tour.  Correct?

2 shows at the aragon.
 "dc" = patriot center in 2000.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »
  My prediction?  They finish this run through the winter, maybe play a few dates in the spring, and then start recording again and put out another album.
How you refer to "they" when you talk about the Smashing Pumpkins...I think that's funny.

Brian

Sage 703

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2007, 03:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:

2 shows at the aragon.
 "dc" = patriot center in 2000. [/b]
Looking at the tour list from 2000, they played plenty of shows very comparable to what they're doing now:

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?year=2000

Two shows at the Aragon is comparable to three shows at the Tower.  And the Patriot Center, I believe, is smaller than that.

danknugz

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »
ozzy needs to retire. he's a legend, and already made his money. that guy should be enjoying the rest of his life, not touring.

smashing pumpkins should have broken up after siamese dream. now its just kinda sad. YES, i wanted tickets to the dc show, because i never bothered to see them in their prime, but after hearing the bootleg, i'm glad tickets sold out before i could get em.

the 21st century doors/riders on the storm or whatever the fuck they're calling themselves now. i'm a huge doors fan, since i was a 9 year old kid, but i'd rather see a tribute band then these guys. at least with a tribute band, you know they're doing it because they love the music. ray manzarek is nothing but a money-grubber who'd rather spend thousands recording his new solo album that'll sell 2 copies than buying back old doors tapes and releasing them. you know the REAL doors tapes - when jim was alive.

jimmie's chicken shack - arent they playing in gaithersburg @ the fairgrounds pretty soon? i know someone last weekend was asking me if i wanted to go. do they even "tour" outside of Maryland????

any band with an eddie-vedder clone as a singer, or any band that ASSOCIATES with vedder clone-led bands should retire.

speaking of eddie, PJ should retire. at least from making albums. they can still make good bread from touring their old material. not that any of that material was ever particulary good.

courtney love shoudn't retire, she should fall out of a moving car on the beltway, going 80 mph.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 09:43:00 am »
Rolling Stones
 Van Halen
 KISS

....to name just three.

In fact, retirement for rock bands should be mandatory at age 55. If the individual members want to start solo projects then fine, but old men in spandex gyrating about on stage is not only not sexy anymore, it's just out and out embarrassing for them.

ayates

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 10:24:00 am »
Aerosmith for fuck's sake.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2007, 11:14:00 am »
Originally posted by ayates:
  Aerosmith for fuck's sake.
They would've been 4th on my list.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »
I don't know what the The Beach Boys are still doing around. Now the band is just Mike Love and hired guns playing state fairs and annual Wolf Trap shows (usually two shows, the early one being for fucking kids and the late one for nostalgic idiots.) Moreover, they haven't released a good album in decades. They ought to just retire and leave performances to Beach Boys tribute bands.

However, many bands just get stuck in creative ruts. People might have thought that Dylan should have retired in the mid-eighties, but if he had there wouldn't be any Time Out of Mind or Oh Mercy. So it's good he didn't.

Two major acts that appear as though they should retire are Tom Petty and The Beastie Boys. Petty hasn't released a really good album since Wildflowers in 1994 and the B-Boys haven't since  Hello Nasty, in 1998. But I believe that if they stick it out they'll release some great late-period albums like Dylan did. So let's have faith.

The Smashing Pumpkins is a tricky question. It comes down to whether or not you accept the reunion. If you don't, the whole thing seems silly. If you do, well, enjoy it while it lasts.

jitterthug

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
 [QB] Rolling Stones
 ]
Ask and ye shall receive

ayates

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2007, 05:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by danknugz:

jimmie's chicken shack - arent they playing in gaithersburg @ the fairgrounds pretty soon? i know someone last weekend was asking me if i wanted to go. do they even "tour" outside of Maryland????

I saw them in Chambersburg, PA one time.  A crowd of maybe 100 people...this was less than a year ago.

walkonby

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2007, 10:41:00 am »
Originally posted by ayates:

Originally posted by danknugz:

I saw them in Chambersburg, PA one time.  A crowd of maybe 100 people...this was less than a year ago. [/b]
i saw them on friday in winchester, va, for the first time.  i have to admit, after the fourth beer, they're not so bad.  sorta like a frat band for middle class white folk who drink heineken over budweiser, with good sound.

martinrob

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »
whomever said Smashing Pumpkins needs to retire and to not pass go and do not collect retirement.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2007, 09:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
 i have to admit, after the fourth beer, they're not so bad.
always the sign of a superior band   :D
<sig>

Christine Moritz

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2007, 12:08:00 am »
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:

Subjected to them? You act like bands are reuniting, breaking your windows, climbing into your bedroom and playing sets while you sleep.[/b]
LOL!