Author Topic: The National  (Read 13487 times)

Re: The National
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2007, 09:59:00 am »
I agree. No, I wasn't actually at the show, but Brennser describes it as I imagine it.

Originally posted by brennser:
  hey, to each his own - I'm glad some of you like it

but to me it was one big snoozefest

and to not play anything from sad songs for dirty lovers is borderline criminal....

thirsty moore

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2007, 10:02:00 am »
I don't remember the band either!  Though I think it was a 930 gig.

Originally posted by nkotb:
  Didn't the National open for someone at the Black Cat a few years ago?  I remember seeing them, and Markie, Lulu and Econo being there, but I'll be damned if I can remember who it was now.  Any help?

nkotb

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2007, 10:06:00 am »
Yeah, Joe told me it was opening for the Walkmen and Weird War (or maybe WW opened).  

Originally posted by econo:
  I don't remember the band either!  Though I think it was a 930 gig.

sch2383

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2007, 10:12:00 am »
I enjoyed the set, but I think they were better when they opened for the Arcade Fire a few months ago.

thirsty moore

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2007, 10:13:00 am »
I never understood how people could forget the concerts they went to.  Now I'm beginning to go through it myself.

Yeah, Joe told me it was opening for the Walkmen and Weird War (or maybe WW opened).

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2007, 10:30:00 am »
meh. i think me being a grandma and going to bed at 9:30 p.m. may have been a good decision.

i'll make up for it this weekend.
nothx

grotty

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2007, 10:40:00 am »
odd how opinions vary so dramatically.

i saw them in Pittsburgh the night before. think it was my 6th time seeing them & was probably my favorite.

i thought the new songs were very good live. all amped up X2. more than erasing the mellow consideration of boxer.

i do agree that it was a disappointment that they played nothing from the first 2 records.

however - assuming you got a similar setlist:

Geese of Beverly Road was amazing. as was About Today.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2007, 11:11:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
  eh.
wait, i thought i was the canadian here?   :)  

what brennser said.  voice was completely lost in the mix, and what was up with coming back for the encore and playing the slowest, most plodding song of the night?  my reaction was "wow, you woke me up for this?"  admittedly the national's music doesn't lend itself to a crazy stage-show, but i felt they dropped the ball and didn't even try.  there were a few good songs, but not enough to make this memorable show.  it was merely OK.

unfortunately i missed both openers (at the office late), i'll have to check them out on NPR.
<sig>

grotty

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2007, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  and what was up with coming back for the encore and playing the slowest, most plodding son of the night?  my reaction was "wow, you woke me up for this?"  
what song was this?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2007, 11:23:00 am »

As I recall, it was The National-> Weird War -> The Walkmen at the 9:30 Club.   There were maybe 50 people there in time to see The National.

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2007, 11:31:00 am »
Originally posted by i'm her slave:

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  and what was up with coming back for the encore and playing the slowest, most plodding son of the night?  my reaction was "wow, you woke me up for this?"  
what song was this? [/b]
Oh I thought Daughters of the Soho Riots was one of the worst of the night, which was such a shame, because its such a beautiful song.

I've never seen them before so perhaps I didn't have the same expectations but I thought it was great.

Loveless

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2007, 12:27:00 pm »
Oh god, Shapes & Sizes were terrible. Why they got billing over Talkdemonic is beyond me. Talkdemonic was really good though. The National were just amazing.

seeking_irony

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2007, 12:28:00 pm »
I've never seen them live before, don't listen to them often (although I do like them), and ended up going at the last minute, but I thought it was a really good show. Having no expectations probably helped. But I thought the energy was good and I didn't get bored at any point.

However, I would like to take this opportunity to bitch about the people around me who a) sang along louder than the band (although one guy was pretty nice when I asked him to dial it down, which I've never done before, but man, he was loud) and b) loudly talked the entire damn time -- during the quiet songs, the energetic songs, in between songs. Granted, they were mostly talking about the band's songs and not something stupid and unrelated, but still. You loud people suck.

amnesiac

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »
I thought they sounded great. The new album is pretty slow, but they definitely rocked some songs out a bit more live. I've only seen em twice, but that was a far better performance than their Black Cat show (March) last year.

ggw

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »
I thought the show was OK (both in the good and bad senses).  The new stuff sounds pretty good live, but, like the album, it's not up to snuff with Alligator.  The show had some dead spots and some bright spots.  6.3 Z's