Author Topic: The National  (Read 13485 times)

ChampionshipVinyl

Re: The National
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »
I thought the show was okay and agree with the comment that the band seemed a bit better when they opened for the Arcade Fire last month. I too agree with the vocals being lost.

I enjoyed all of the songs and really like the way the band amps up the recorded tracks when they perform them live (as was said)

I arrived toward the beginning of Shapes and Sizes and could not get into them at all. It was as if they had all of these ideas and dismissed any editing or revision process prior to recording their songs.

Taster

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »
I don't think their live show will convert anyone.  It's mainly for people who were fans going in, espeically last night because the vocals were lost.

And there was almost a fight near me in the middle of Soho Riots, which was odd.

thirsty moore

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »
This is good to know.  When I saw them with Weird War a few years back I wasn't impressed.

What's a good album to start with?

Originally posted by Taster:
  I don't think their live show will convert anyone.  It's mainly for people who were fans going in, espeically last night because the vocals were lost.

Bags

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Originally posted by nkotb:
  Yeah, Joe told me it was opening for the Walkmen and Weird War (or maybe WW opened).  

As I recall, it was The National-> Weird War -> The Walkmen at the 9:30 Club.   There were maybe 50 people there in time to see The National. [/b]
Yup, I was there with Lulu, Markie and Pollard.  That was my first time seeing them, and after they played "Murder Me, Rachel" I asked Markie if I could yell out for them to play it again.  After all, with only 50 people there, they would have heard my request.  That buzzkill, Markie said no.  I pleaded, "but I always listen to it twice!?!"

As for last night, I enjoyed the show -- some songs were great and built to strong crescendos, but not all -- but it wasn't one of the best.  Here are my issues:

- I'm with Brennser, it is a CRIME to play nothing from "Sad Songs..."  If they never play songs from that album again, I may be finished with my National shows.

- The crowd was for shit.  You can definitely tell that The National has tipped in to 'buzz band' status.  A bunch of fratty-type guys who shouted and drank (and spilled beer) all throughout the show, and their accompanying posse of girls in white tube tops OR tight white pants, who talked equally as much and marched around to get drinks and go to the bathroom in huge groups of four and five.  SO much chatter.  Granted, my alcohol-free school night approach probably lent itself to a higher degree of annoyance than usual, but I hated it.  A friend was down in the Back Bar earlier in the evening and said the conversations were quite telling.  Things like, "I hear this is TOTALLY the band to see!"

Nice to see Darth Ed...

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Taster:

And there was almost a fight near me in the middle of Soho Riots, which was odd.
hmmm.. guess seeing them in DC was completely different than their bowery shows. because there were so many people there that weren't the biggest fans, but came out HUGE fans! perhaps nyc can do that for bands. and it had been a sell-out for months which probably means it wasnt people who 'just' discovered them. they were so incredible when i saw them, and were one of my fav shows this year. and ive been to a ton of shows for anyone who thinks i must have only been to a handful of shows.

as far as talkdemonic, i have seen them several times now, and have loved them more each time. its been awhile, and i barely remember what they sound like, but any time theyre in nyc, i try my best to see them  :)
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »
Sounds like sweetcell and his posse.   :D    

But he's a geek, not fratty. jk

Originally posted by Bags:
  A bunch of fratty-type guys who shouted and drank (and spilled beer) all throughout the show, and their accompanying posse of girls in white tube tops OR tight white pants, who talked equally as much and marched around to get drinks and go to the bathroom in huge groups of four and five.  
(_|_)

thirsty moore

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2007, 04:57:00 pm »
That's nice and all, but give me an album to buy!

ggw

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
Alligator

leafblower

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »
dang, NPR only has the national's set available, looks like they didn't record the openers.  i would have liked to check out talkdemonic.

Originally posted by wanderlust featuring j. marshmallow:
  Sounds like sweetcell and his posse.    :D    

But he's a geek, not fratty. jk
heh, if only i was cool enough for a posse... when i'm lucky my girlfriend will come with me to a show.  and for the record, i'm a PROUD geek.
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »
Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers

brennser

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »
heh, if only i was cool enough for a posse  
and there was I, thinking I was in sweetcells posse last night....  :(

Bags

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers [/b]
I'm with Brennser.
 Econo, don't you have g-mail?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

heh, if only i was cool enough for a posse  
and there was I, thinking I was in sweetcells posse last night....   :(  [/b]
funny, i thought i was the hanger-on to you & your cool cats!  brennser, you can hang with me anytime.
<sig>

thirsty moore

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »
Yeh, why?

Originally posted by Bags:
  I'm with Brennser.
 Econo, don't you have g-mail?