Author Topic: The National  (Read 13490 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The National
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2007, 12:12:00 am »
meh.
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2007, 12:37:00 am »
eh.

mrpee

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2007, 01:25:00 am »
Yeah, but don't any of you punks remember the original National?

Run here, my towhead grandchillen, and let this geezer dandle you  upon his knee.

The National (newspaper)

Founded   January 31, 1990
 Ceased publication   June 13, 1991

The National Sports Daily, or The National, was a short-lived sports newspaper in the United States which debuted January 31, 1990 and folded after 18 months. The newspaper was published daily (Sundays through Fridays) and had a tabloid format.

Among the columnists that appeared on its pages were Chris Mortensen, Ivan Maisel, Mike Lupica, Dave Meltzer, Steve Rosenbloom, Jay Mariotti and Tracy Ringolsby.
 The National used the Wall Street Journal's distribution network to send out separate editions in each time zone.

Unfortunately, the distribution method turned out to be too expensive to justify disappointing circulation numbers.

Fans simply chose to continue to receive their sports news from local newspapers, local sportscasts, and ESPN. This, combined with one of the slowest economies in the post-Carter era, led to the quick end of the publication.

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2007, 01:57:00 am »
I think the show merits more than an "eh."  I thought Mr. November and Abel were both fantastic.  It was a little low energy at times but I enjoyed myself.  Talkdemonic was great, I really liked them.  Shapes and Sizes (Sizes and Shapes?  Can't remember) were better than they sounded on myspace like sweetcell predicted but still not fantastic.  I thought they were a little bit like a poor man's animal collective at times.

brennser

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2007, 07:06:00 am »
I can't speak for the openers but gawd that was a BORING show. I think the time might be ripe for a National backlash. Lets face it, Boxer is a complete snoozer of an album but many folks, including (incredibly) Pitchfork are afraid to say so because the conventional wisdom is/was that Alligator was such a 'grower'.

Rarely have I been to a concert where I have been so bored/underwhelmed. And I liked Abel and Mr November as well but 2 songs do not a good show make.....

Vas Deferens

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2007, 07:44:00 am »
Not underwhelmed at all here. Probably the best show I've seen them play. The guitar work was way better live than the recorded stuff. And the violinist/keyboardist was a great addition (I guess he's the unofficial member of the band) to the live show.
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2007, 09:16:00 am »
Now I don't feel so bad for having missed this.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2007, 09:26:00 am »
Feel bad cause it was great. Here's a review from chromewaves. I agree with his assessment on Shapes and Sizes as well:

http://www.chromewaves.net/index.php?itemid=2647

Originally posted by bearman:
(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2007, 09:30:00 am »
As I just said to Joe over IM:

me: oh come on

"made a compelling argument for themselves as best goddamn band in the world right now"

even if he calls out his own hyperbole, that's fucking absurd

talk about buying into the hype

jesus

that's why i hate fucking blogs

Originally posted by wanderlust aka j. marshmallow:
  Feel bad cause it was great. Here's a review from chromewaves. I agree with his assessment on Shapes and Sizes as well:

http://www.chromewaves.net/index.php?itemid=2647

Originally posted by bearman:
[/b]

allmy$to930

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2007, 09:33:00 am »
I went with high expectations and was not disappointed.  I don't think Boxer is as good as Alligator, but I thought the new stuff sounded great live.  I would have liked to hear "Karen", but other than that, I thought the setlist was what it should be.

It was certainly the best $16 I have spent in quite a while.

...obviously the backlash has begun, though. Please keep me informed about when it is okay to like the National again.

froggylizzard

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2007, 09:39:00 am »
Er, Marshmallow ... that review is of the Toronto show, not DC?

nkotb

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2007, 09:40:00 am »
Didn't Pitchfork already give the ok?  :D

I kid!

Originally posted by allmy$to930:
 ...obviously the backlash has begun, though. Please keep me informed about when it is okay to like the National again.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2007, 09:41:00 am »
Yea, sorry, forgot to  mention it   :)   But it's the same tour.

I'm sure dcist will cover it later...

Originally posted by froggylizzard:
  Er, Marshmallow ... that review is of the Toronto show, not DC?
(_|_)

brennser

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2007, 09:48:00 am »
hey, to each his own - I'm glad some of you like it

but to me it was one big snoozefest

and to not play anything from sad songs for dirty lovers is borderline criminal....

nkotb

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2007, 09:50:00 am »
Didn't the National open for someone at the Black Cat a few years ago?  I remember seeing them, and Markie, Lulu and Econo being there, but I'll be damned if I can remember who it was now.  Any help?

Originally posted by brennser:
  hey, to each his own - I'm glad some of you like it

but to me it was one big snoozefest

and to not play anything from sad songs for dirty lovers is borderline criminal....