Author Topic: Eels  (Read 6431 times)

Guiny

Re: Eels
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2003, 12:21:00 pm »
I never even made it to the first encore let alone the one's after.

fairfaxfinn

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2003, 01:45:00 pm »
This was my second Eels show.  Whether it was better or worse than the last one (on the Souljacker tour) is bit of a moot point, since both shows were great.  I love the fact that they come back to play for the fans who stay after the house lights come on, even if the songs are nonsensical [e.g. "Jehovah's Witness" from the Rotten World Blues EP (last tour) and ZZ Top's "La Grange" (last night)].  I also like the fact that they do try to keep things fresh.  For example, the live version of "I Like Birds" rocks!  Also, last tour they did the cover of Missy Elliot's "Get Your Freak On"; this tour they started off with country flavor (even the "I'm a Loser" Beatles cover).  The Eels are definitely one of my favorite American live bands--and not too shabby on CD either.

Sir HC

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2003, 04:33:00 pm »
I thought it was a pretty good show.  Bummed that Butch is no longer with the band, but I guess you can't expect the band to remain the same forever.  Was odd they way that they did 3 encores plus the special encore, the bra being flung on stage was a bit odd, but heck fun time.  Liked the DJ, wanted one of his shirts but all they had was small...

jadetree

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2003, 04:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  I thought it was a pretty good show.  Bummed that Butch is no longer with the band, but I guess you can't expect the band to remain the same forever.  Was odd they way that they did 3 encores plus the special encore, the bra being flung on stage was a bit odd, but heck fun time.  Liked the DJ, wanted one of his shirts but all they had was small...
Butch is still with the band, he had agreed to tour with Tracy Chapman before the eels had scheduled their tour, I believe he is supposed to be back

Sir HC

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2003, 04:55:00 pm »
Okay, their crew seemed to be like "the new drummer" ... nothing about returning.  Cool if he does come back.

Oh, and last time he started the lights up encore by doing a drum only "Novacaine for the Soul" (or was that two times ago...).  

I saw them when they were the original 3 and E's mom was in front of me for the guest list/tickets.

jadetree

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2003, 05:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Okay, their crew seemed to be like "the new drummer" ... nothing about returning.  Cool if he does come back.

Oh, and last time he started the lights up encore by doing a drum only "Novacaine for the Soul" (or was that two times ago...).  

I saw them when they were the original 3 and E's mom was in front of me for the guest list/tickets.
The butch novocaine solo was last time, it was great.

jadetree

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2003, 05:10:00 pm »
4/9/2003- LIFE'S A BUTCH:
 It's your fault. You shouldn't have clapped so loud for him. EELS drummer Butch is in much demand by rockers and non-rockers of the world these days. He is currently busy with the latter category, playing drums on Tracy Chapman's current tour which could possibly render him unavailable for the immediate EELS Tour Of Duty. But not to fear! Should Butch still be riding in the "Fast Car," then his little cousin "Puddin'" will be sitting in for him, and he rocks like a proverbial hurricane. You'll be begging for more Puddin'!

Guiny

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2003, 05:36:00 pm »
Even though i left early from boredom i did enjoy listening to the drummer, i thought he did an outstanding job.

markie

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2003, 05:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Guiny:
  Even though i left early from boredom  
guiny, have you thought that you might just have terrible taste in music?

Guiny

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2003, 09:31:00 pm »
Oh yeah, there was plenty of elbow room and I have the bad taste in music, obviously there were plenty of people not there that musta agreed with me. I did enjoy there up tempo stuff but the three slow songs in a row killed me......had to go. Where were you at anyways, i was looking for you, I didnt hear much shouting out for songs. I did hear one guy yell "Yes i am" to one of his comments, thought it mighta been you.

Originally posted by markie:

Originally posted by Guiny:
  Even though i left early from boredom  
guiny, have you thought that you might just have terrible taste in music? [/b]