Author Topic: anyone else mad that the 930 cares more about money than  (Read 13848 times)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
Re: anyone else mad that the 930 cares more about money than
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2003, 03:38:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kosmo:<BR><B> this most of have been a good one... seeing as it's disappeared    recap anyone?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>sorry, my personal stenographer couldn't make it through the snow to get to the club.  the conversation took place in between loading in vince gill's gear and loading it right back out.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2003, 03:46:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>It is not their job to make sure people can get to shows, fun as it maybe getting thatguy to give you a piggyback to the club from Alexandria.<P>Giddy-UP!!!!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>that would require me to be able to get to alexandria.  despite being able to get to the club and back in one piece on sunday, i could not get off of my street today.  after a 20 minute ordeal even getting my front door open, i was ready to roll, but it wasn't in the cards.  <P>100 yards or so from my house the road was clear, but snow drifts and a 4 foot wall of snow deposited at the end of my street by the plows were a bit more than even my jeep could handle.  i bottomed out after about 10 feet and had to have my neighbors push me back into my spot.  still no sign of the plows 12 hours later.  hopefully i'll be free by work time tomorrow.<BR>

eddie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2003, 04:53:00 am »
You're still fired.

Sir HC

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2003, 05:18:00 am »
What are you doing up at this hour?  Do you ever sleep?

J'Mal

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2003, 05:25:00 am »
Sleep is for wussies.

Medic

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2003, 10:20:00 am »
Hey Eddie- if thatguy's fired... uh i could make it on the schedule!  

Sir HC

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2003, 10:37:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eddie:<BR><B>You're still fried.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Too many shows?

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2003, 02:27:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eddie:<BR><B>You're still fired.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>great.  now i don't have to find a ride.  i'm still snowed in.  <P>i hear you guys are hiring.  can i come down for an interview later this week?

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2003, 02:28:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Medic:<BR><B>Hey Eddie- if thatguy's fired... uh i could make it on the schedule!   </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>you don't wanna do that.  too many people would ask you how you got your ears to close up so fast.

lesallyn

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2003, 01:09:00 am »
I am not really understanding the argument here...I worked for a promoter for eight years, and I dont recall the company ever giving away refunds for snow, and it was in Denver, where a couple feet of snow is a normal winter day. If you buy tickets for a show in the middle of winter, what can you expect? Snow has nothing to do with the 930 caring more about money than thier patrons. Have you ever bought tickets for a show before? Buyers beware.I've lost out on tickets because of work, ect, and anyone that has ever been to a show knows if you cant get there, youre just fucked I guess.

Fiona

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2003, 04:47:00 pm »
I agree that the show should have been cancelled. You can't compare it to a person having the flu, having to work etc. because those situations affect only a few people while the 18 inches of snow affected a majority of the people who had tickets to the show. I don't really blame the 9:30 Club as much as I do the band. It seems to me that if I was in a band I would want to play for the largest possible number of people and have them hear my music and would show some consideration for my fans. My friend and I had tickets. We did not go even though we live only about ten blocks from the 9:30 club, so this did not just affect people living in the suburbs. The sidewalks were too snow covered and icy to walk as well as the temperature being sub freezing. We were worried that we would not be able to get a taxi since I heard that it was very difficult, if not impossible. I think this situation was handled very poorly. I agree that in most cases a concert should not be cancelled for bad weather if the band is able to get there. But this was an unusual circumstance involving a historic snow storm. I am a part-time yoga instructor and I cancelled my classes earlier in the evening and I don't understand why the 9:30 club and/or Ladytron couldn't have done the same thing.

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2003, 04:52:00 pm »
The band gets paid if they pay, they don't get paid if they cancel. If they had to pay travel expenses and all to get here, chances are they're not going to want to cancel the show and lose out on meal money. Did you get paid for the yoga class you didn't teach?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fiona:<BR><B>I agree that the show should have been cancelled. You can't compare it to a person having the flu, having to work etc. because those situations affect only a few people while the 18 inches of snow affected a majority of the people who had tickets to the show. I don't really blame the 9:30 Club as much as I do the band. It seems to me that if I was in a band I would want to play for the largest possible number of people and have them hear my music and would show some consideration for my fans. My friend and I had tickets. We did not go even though we live only about ten blocks from the 9:30 club, so this did not just affect people living in the suburbs. The sidewalks were too snow covered and icy to walk as well as the temperature being sub freezing. We were worried that we would not be able to get a taxi since I heard that it was very difficult, if not impossible. I think this situation was handled very poorly. I agree that in most cases a concert should not be cancelled for bad weather if the band is able to get there. But this was an unusual circumstance involving a historic snow storm. I am a part-time yoga instructor and I cancelled my classes earlier in the evening and I don't understand why the 9:30 club and/or Ladytron couldn't have done the same thing.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

twangirl

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2003, 06:06:00 pm »
Many bands already have their year mapped out for them. In Ladytron's case there was no chance to rechedule in the foreseeable future. If they had decided to cancel the show, Marvin "Cockchowder" Mooney would have posted a vitriolic diatribe about there not being a reschedule date, and a similar dicussion would have ensued anyway, with just as much whining if not more. Bottom line, we had a major weather event, and a lot of people didn't get to do things they wanted to do because of it. Everything in life is subject to change without notice, learn to live with it.

Shadrach

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2003, 07:18:00 pm »
Fiona,<P>You would have served yourself better by not admitting to living only ten blocks from the club, yet being to scared or lazy to walk to the show.<P>When I hear people say things like that it always reminds me of some older person talking about how they had to walk 10 miles to school, in 3 feet of snow, uphill, both ways. How lazy and jaded are we as a society that a ten block walk in bad weather is too much?<P>It's clear to me that there were plenty of folks who just didn't have a chance to make it to the show. Perhaps they live far and maybe they hadn't been plowed out yet. Those people are the ones I have sympathy for.<P>As far as your situation, well it seems to me that you made a concious decision to swallow the ticket price and miss the show. My only hope for you is that next time Ladytron comes through town we don't have fog or mist or a solar eclipse.

not too shabby

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2003, 07:41:00 pm »
I understand completely why the show went ahead.  I had a ticket, but was trapped in another city.  Oh well.  I hear that the show was pretty good and a lot of people made it out.  I'm sorry I couldn't be one of them, but I'm not bitter about it!