Author Topic: the vines  (Read 12838 times)

Relaxer

Re: the vines
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2003, 06:28:00 pm »
I think Wingelbert is referring to The Music, which put out several EPs before their album dropped. I got an import version of You Might As Well Try and Fuck Me and thought it was great. And then Take The Long Road and Walk It, and thought it was great. And then The People and though, hmmm, kind of a pattern here. And I've heard their album, and it's so samey that it kind of loses their power. That said, I've heard their live shows are great, and I'll go to this just to see that.<P>The Vines are almost the opposite. I think their disc is pretty good. It sounds pretty when it needs to be, rocks when it should rock, and comes and goes pretty quick. Live though, they're a mess. That last 9:30 show, I thought, was subpar, and the bootlegs I have of them are pretty crappy. <BR>
oword

Guiny

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2003, 06:37:00 pm »
The live show sucked!!!!!!!! and i dont usually say that about live shows, he was just being an idiot and trying to hard to impress everyone. It just seemed to much like an act and not his instincts. We left before the encore it was that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fico

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2003, 06:45:00 pm »
When are these tickets becoming available?? price??

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2003, 07:02:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Relaxer:<BR><B>I think Wingelbert is referring to The Music, which put out several EPs before their album dropped. I got an import version of You Might As Well Try and Fuck Me and thought it was great. And then Take The Long Road and Walk It, and thought it was great. And then The People and though, hmmm, kind of a pattern here. And I've heard their album, and it's so samey that it kind of loses their power. That said, I've heard their live shows are great, and I'll go to this just to see that.<P>The Vines are almost the opposite. I think their disc is pretty good. It sounds pretty when it needs to be, rocks when it should rock, and comes and goes pretty quick. Live though, they're a mess. That last 9:30 show, I thought, was subpar, and the bootlegs I have of them are pretty crappy. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>you are correct, i was very much talking about the music. and my feelings about them and the vines seem to mirror yours fairly well. i wasn't blown away by the vines album, but i think it's fairly good for a debut. i think they shot themselves in the foot by letting the hype go to their heads and thinking they could win audiences over by going out on the road thrashing around on stage like 15 year olds playing nirvana covers in someone's basement.

lydialunchbuffet

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2003, 07:26:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingelbert humptyback:<BR><B> you are correct, i was very much talking about the music. and my feelings about them and the vines seem to mirror yours fairly well. i wasn't blown away by the vines album, but i think it's fairly good for a debut. i think they shot themselves in the foot by letting the hype go to their heads and thinking they could win audiences over by going out on the road thrashing around on stage like 15 year olds playing nirvana covers in someone's basement.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I saw The Vines live back in May and they weren't as bad as they've become. This is before Craig decided not to play the right chords and sing the right words, before he decided to wreck his instruments and just spazz out during performances. They weren't bad, when I heard their debut I was disappointed. Nothing new, sounded like everything else NME had hyped in the past six months. I have a friend who's a big fan of The Music, but I haven't gotten around to listening to them yet, I'm trying to stay away from anything NME has loved in the past six months that starts with "the."

Dandy01

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2003, 07:34:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lydialunchbuffet:<BR><B> I'm trying to stay away from anything NME has loved in the past six months that starts with "the." </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You may be missing out, depending on your taste.  I don't read NME, so my interest in The Music is not from hype.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2003, 09:26:00 pm »
The vines are an OK band, good but not special in any way, that were massively overhyped and therefore massively disappointing.
_\|/_

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2003, 09:44:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sonickteam2:<BR><B> ok really.  I have listened to the Music's CD like a LOT of times, and I have to ask the burning question...WHO did this before?????? </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Led Zep, Stone Roses, The Verve, Death Cult, Charlatans(UK), Rush among others. <P>

megs

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2003, 10:05:00 pm »
was anyone else here at the vines show in...was it july? i have to say i was completely unimpressed. i liked the album but their live show leaves a lot to be desired. that being said, i'll probably be there for this one, but largely to see the music.

markie

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2003, 10:09:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joymonster:<BR><B> Led Zep, Stone Roses, The Verve, Death Cult, Charlatans(UK), Rush among others. <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>you forgot a contribution by primal scream. <P>But mostly lots and lots of stone roses.<P>

markie

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2003, 10:11:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by megs:<BR><B>was anyone else here at the vines show in...was it july? i have to say i was completely unimpressed. i liked the album but their live show leaves a lot to be desired. that being said, i'll probably be there for this one, but largely to see the music. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>SNAP!!!!

megs

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2003, 10:17:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> SNAP!!!!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>markie is that a snap of agreement or disagreement?!

markie

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2003, 10:25:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by megs:<BR><B> markie is that a snap of agreement or disagreement?! </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, erm, I have never heard of a "snap" of disagreement before, but as much as I want to be original, yes, that was a SNAP of agreement, the regular sort.

megs

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2003, 10:29:00 pm »
just checking.

markie

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2003, 10:34:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by megs:<BR><B>just checking. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I only know of one person who enjoyed that show and they are a bit, ahem, odd.