Author Topic: Belle and Sebastian  (Read 20987 times)

courtcrum

Re: Belle and Sebastian
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2003, 01:16:00 pm »
Actually, I've been to a few shows were there's a first and second set, it's like the band takes a break...only this time you pay another $30 to see the second half of the show!   ;)  [/QB][/QUOTE]

That is what I am screaming! That sucks..

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by CourtneyCrummett:
  Sorry for bringing this up, I suppose people have already dealt with this.
 Who is Seth?

As in Seth Horowitz who owns the club...

Previous Discussion

Secondly it's two shows verses two sets... the band will mostly likely perform the same setlist at both shows.  Lots of Jazz and Blues artist will perform two or more sets, but for B&S it will be like performing the same concert twice in one night.

If Eddie Izzard had not been already booked at the Warner, B&S would have probably done one concert there. There aren't that many theatre sized venues in the area.  And we all know what a resounding success the show at Constitution Hall was.  

Of course they could be playing any of the  Fieldhouses (i.e. Bender) in the area... Where the sound would have be lousy and the beer seletion would be lousy. You are getting the change to see a great band in a great intimate venue.  In the UK it would be an arena or festival
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2003, 01:28:00 pm »
This reminds me of the mid-80's at the old 9:30.  It wasn't that uncommon to have 2 shows each night.  They cleared the club after the first set.  Everyone who bought advance tickets for the second set was then let inside.  If the 2nd set wasn't sold-out, they'd let the crowd from the first set back inside (free).  If the 2nd show was sold out in advance, you were SOL. I seem to recall that if there was an opening band, they got another set too.  I may be wrong about that though.

That made for some VERY late nights.

courtcrum

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2003, 01:29:00 pm »
I highly doubt the two "shows" will have the same setlist.. which is the source of my frustration. I don't care about the other venues and come on.. the 930 is not a great venue.. the sound sucks.. yes I enjoy the massive amounts of shows I can see there.. but this is ridiculous

Bags

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2003, 01:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by CourtneyCrummett:
  I don't care about the other venues and come on.. the 930 is not a great venue.. the sound sucks...
I just have to assume you haven't been to that many shows in that many venues, because that is just plain not the case.  

And I'll put $10 down that the two 'sets' don't vary by more than 2 or 3 songs.  Which you'll probably be back here to complain about because those will be your TWO VERY FAVORITE B&S SONGS...

mankie

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2003, 01:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

In the UK it would be an arena or festival [/b]
Which personally is one of the things I love about the 930.

Echo & The Bunnymen
 Waterboys
 Beautiful South
 The Verve
 Radiohead
 Shane MacGowan
 UB40
 James
 Morrissey
 Psychadelic Furs

Those are just bands that I can think of that I've seen at the 930 who would be in MCI type venues at home.

chatondouxx

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2003, 01:38:00 pm »
I am extremely irritated by this second show in one night. True B&S fans have been waiting for months for this show. We planned ahead. Bought tix ahead of time. Paid Ticketmaster's bloody fees (btw, Ticketmaster doesn't even seem to know about this stupid 2nd gig on their site..seems a lil' shady). And now we're all getting the short end of the stick..the shorter show with no chance of encores, kicked out in time for a second set! Generally bad PR. Pissing off their hugest fans. Not impressed. I want to turn my $30 ticket in for the second show. I saw B&S at DAR Const. Hall last year and they sang forever. It was grand. Hours they sang...not a mere hour and "make way for the next show, my dear." This is greedy and I am disgusted. Open to suggestions.

Bags

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2003, 01:39:00 pm »
Is there anyone here who can attest to how long the DAR set was?  I was there, and I don't remember this 3 - 4 hour marathon y'all keep referring to.

courtcrum

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2003, 01:40:00 pm »
Hey, it is more of a question of how many shows have you been to besides the 930. But hey, who really cares. I thought the poor sound was a general opinion. I guess I am wrong and with that I suppose I am finished complaining and on my way to the health center to get my ears cleaned out. Thanks for listening.

ggw

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2003, 01:44:00 pm »
Man.  You Brits are a crotchety bunch....

MaLo

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2003, 01:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by chatondouxx:
  Ticketmaster doesn't even seem to know about this stupid 2nd gig on their site..seems a lil' shady
ticketmaster doesn't sell 930 club tickets..its tickets.com

and really people, if you are so pissed at this band for scheduling a second show...stop buying tix for them or buying their albums...that'll show those greedy bastards  :roll:

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2003, 01:46:00 pm »
second show is onsale at tickets.com... the band must have used ticketmaster for their presale because the 930 club only uses tickets.com for their shows.

tickets.com
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2003, 01:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Man.  You Brits are a crotchety bunch....
....and this weather brings out the best in us.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2003, 01:50:00 pm »
the constitution hall show was over by 11pm at the latest...

secondly just because it says doors open at 10:30 for the second show doesn't mean its actually gonna happen.  thatguy can control lots of things at the club, but opening doors at a scheduled time is not always one of them.  if the band decides to run long during the first show then the people outside will have to wait a little longer.  for the second mighty wind show, the first show didn't even letout until 10pm, which is when the doors were suppose to open for the second show.
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2003, 01:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
   the first show didn't even letout until 10pm, which is when the doors were suppose to open for the second show.
So it all balances out. They piss off the first show crowd but just to be fair, decide to piss the second show mob off too by making them wait outside for longer than is posted. Class, pure class.