Author Topic: Belle and Sebastian  (Read 20982 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Belle and Sebastian
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2003, 01:57:00 pm »
i have nothing let to say on this matter...
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2003, 02:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  i have nothing let to say on this matter...
Me neither! Other than I shouldn't have expected anything else from a damn jocko, so it's my own fault.

Okay, now I have nothing else to say..bye bye!

Fico

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2003, 02:24:00 pm »
Only Rhett could give a proper response to this quagmire...

twangirl

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2003, 03:42:00 pm »
Each show will be 90 minutes long, per B&S' contract. As previously explained, they are not taking one show and splitting it in half, they are doing 2 full shows. If the second show hadn't been added, the first show would still have been 90 minutes. No one is getting less bang for their buck here.
 Some of you have made the assumption that first show ticket-holders are being screwed because the second show will somehow be better. I would bet money that, had the late show been onsale first and an earlier show added, these same people would be bitching that the first show would be better because the band will be too tired for the second show. If you don't like the situation, please take Seth up on his refund offer, and for god's sake quit whining.

mankie

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2003, 03:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by twangirl:
   I would bet money that, had the late show been onsale first and an earlier show added, these same people would be bitching that the first show would be better because the band will be too tired for the second show. If you don't like the situation, please take Seth up on his refund offer, and for god's sake quit whining.
I see the 930 club is very big on customer service.......  :roll:  You must make Seth very proud.

Had I known there were two shows on the same evening I personally WOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT A TICKET FOR EITHER FUCKING SHOW!

It's not the money that is the issue with me, it's the principal..and I stand by my opinion that both performances will be inferior than if there was just one show during the evening.

Fico

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2003, 04:19:00 pm »
Question:

When Phil Collins played the Live Aid in Britain and then took the Concord to America to play a gig the same day... which show was better?? did the Americans complain about getting a jet-lagged Collins on stage?? or did the Brits feel he would half arse the UK show so he wouldn't be too tired to play the America gig after crossing the Atlantic??? hmmmm

ratioci nation

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2003, 04:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:
  Question:

When Phil Collins played the Live Aid in Britain and then took the Concord to America to play a gig the same day... which show was better?? did the Americans complain about getting a jet-lagged Collins on stage?? or did the Brits feel he would half arse the UK show so he wouldn't be too tired to play the America gig after crossing the Atlantic??? hmmmm
who cares, it was Phil Collins

mankie

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2003, 04:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:
  Question:

Looks like the surgery to get your head out of your arse was a failure.

First of all, he sang what? Three songs at each performance. Second, you can't compare live-aid with a single band concert. Live aid was more of a circus than a serious show, albeit for a very good cause.

Bad analogy Fico, even worse than some of GGW's.

Bags

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2003, 04:41:00 pm »
You guys need to watch "The Joe Schmo Show" -- Kip was the king of analogies!!    ;)

Sir HC

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2003, 04:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by CourtneyCrummett:
  Hey, it is more of a question of how many shows have you been to besides the 930. But hey, who really cares. I thought the poor sound was a general opinion. I guess I am wrong and with that I suppose I am finished complaining and on my way to the health center to get my ears cleaned out. Thanks for listening.
I am sorry I can not let this one stand.  Poor sound, what shows, what bands, when, and compared to what venues?  Look I have been to many venues and have worked with many artists and their soundmen at the 9:30 and 95% of them mention that this spot is the highlight of their tour as the staph and sound is so good.  Remember most bands now have their own engineers and often all their own equipment (yep they hang their own PA in the club, a real pain in the ass), so it is the band that sucks and not necessarily the venue.

So again, what are you comparing the sound to and for what shows.

bearman🐻

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2003, 05:03:00 pm »
I've seen Belle and Sebastian 3 times...first time the set was probably about 1 hour and 20 minutes (that was at the Metro in Chicago), second time was at the Black Cat (roughly the same time frame) and at Constitution Hall the show was a good 1 hour and 45 minutes. I can't imagine they're going to do radically different sets. I would imagine maybe 2 or 3 songs might be different. Hopefully folks will write down the setlists and we can compare.  I doubt we'll be getting a 2-hour set a piece, but if we get 90 minutes I'll be happy.  I know it's not exactly fair, but hey...I don't think B&S are going to screw their fans. They're a great band, nice people, and they're going to do their best to keep everyone happy. If you've ever seen them live, you'll know that the love flows like honey.  When I saw them in Chicago, I was sitting in the balcony during the opening band's set and Isabel sat down behind me. We started talking and she offered to put me on the guest list for the DC show at the Black Cat, which was WAY WAY WAY sold out by that point. I was ecstatic that she remembered to do it, so she got me and a buddy into the show. So needless to say, they try their best to make everyone happy.

Bags

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2003, 05:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  If you've ever seen them live, you'll know that the love flows like honey.
Yeah, but do their fans know that?  As I mentioned recently in another thread on something or other, the one time I was most in danger of being punched was at a Jellyfish show, where the love and actual flowers were flowing freely, except in the crowd.

If everyone relaxes, a good time can be had by all.  At one of the best venues in the country, folks!

courtcrum

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2003, 05:36:00 pm »
I can't speak for the sound board set up.  What I can say is that hearing about the great sound at the 930 for years, I had high expectations.  Having now been here for a year, and having seen a  lot of shows at 930, I can say that I am generally disappointed.  This is not to trash the vibe of the 930, b/c it is solid.  The point I am making is that for a epic venue, which 930 is, the sound should be more uniform and of a higher quality. And now with the crap going down surrounding B and S, I am generally disappointed.

Bags

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2003, 05:37:00 pm »
So where do they have better sound?

courtcrum

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2003, 05:44:00 pm »
Cats Cradle  NC
 Sapphire Supper  FL
 State Theater  FL
 Garage UK
 Higher Ground VT