Author Topic: security in the pit?  (Read 31331 times)

mankie

Re: security in the pit?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 11:21:00 am »
Were did moshing even start? Looks daft enough to be a Brit thing to me....probably during the punk era, a descendent of slam dancing would be my guess.

I'm sure learned soul will enlighten us....(GGW takes it from here)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
the pogo was invented by the short punk in the back who couldn't see...

(i'm paraphrasing and don't know who said it first)
T.Rex

saco

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 11:42:00 am »
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/mosh

"Moshing also known as slam dancing is a type of dance which involves jumping around/pushing other people/going crazy to loud "rock" or punk music. It is very popular amongst young rock and metal fans, especially heavy metal and nu metal fans. Most participants consider it lots of fun, but it can be dangerous to people in and around the "mosh pit", and has resulted in serious injuries and hospitalisation.

"The term "Mosh" has often incorrectly been attributed to Vinnie Stigma of the hardcore group Agnostic Front as an acronym for "March Of Skin Heads", when in fact it came from Darryl Jennifer, bass guitarist for the band Bad Brains, as a mispronunciation of the word "mash".

"Moshing means different things within different genres of music. The kind of mosh you will see at hardcore punk shows is very different to the kind of mosh at grunge shows.

"Originally, there were different types of "slam dancing." One type was the slam dance itself, which is now referred to as moshing. However, there was also the pogo , where dancers jumped up and down, as if on a pogo-stick, and bumped into each other. In Germany and Brazil , pogo is the common name for all moshing.

"Although a fundamentaly violent form of dance, the participants do not partake to cause injury. The dancing is physical expression of a pacified rage."

Guiny

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 11:49:00 am »
It's just hard to stand there still during a Slayer concert, it's aggressive music which makes you want to be aggressive. I obviously have no problem with it, I've been knocked down a few times and have knocked other people down waaaay more times, I've never got in fights with anyone and usually end up striking up converstaions and high fives in between songs. Some people dance at shows, some people stand, sit, jump up and down, crowd surf.......It's all good.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 12:20:00 pm »
that's cool info on the origin of the term, thanks for that, dh00d.... I always wonderered whether there was a distinction between slam dancing and moshing, and apparently not.  Also cool that it originated with DC's own Bad Brains. We be moshin', mon.

alt.dc.music
_\|/_

MaLo

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 12:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

1. Radiohead has no mosh pits

[/b]
i saw Radiohead in London like 4 years ago and people were moshing..i thought it was very odd indeed..it was also very annoying

ChokingVictim

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 02:11:00 pm »
that's fine&dandy, but i didn't see the fucker grabbing guys smaller than me.  besides, if you're in a pit, expect to get hurt.  it's what happens when you go in.

Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  you know, small people are just as threatening to staph as big people are... whereas big people are likely to hurt others, small people are likely to get hurt, and staph is responsible for both not happening.  

just food for thought.

ChokingVictim

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 02:12:00 pm »
i'm almost 22, does that mean i'm still young?  ;]  but you're right about the pit changing.  some assholes just show up now to hurt people.  it's weak.  oh&radiohead is amazing.  
 xox

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  moshing is dumb.  Why do people still do it?
i think young people still do it.  which it seems none of use can relate to anymore!   :)  

moshing used to be ok, when people werent out to act all tough.

i cant do it anymore though

1. Radiohead has no mosh pits

2. Last time i moshed at a Dropkick Murphy's show in Boston, I hurt for 3 days!!!! [/b]

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 02:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by ChokingVictim:
    besides, if you're in a pit, expect to get hurt.  it's what happens when you go in.

[/b]
 I don't condone patrons being unnecessarily man-handled by security, but anyone else see the glaring irony in this statement?

Ravens98

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 02:25:00 pm »
So let me get this straight, you were just standing there by the pit not doing anything and this stapher decides to pick you out of all the people moshing around and manhandle you? For no reason?  Doesn't sound right. Methinks there's more to this story because typically there's a reason when a stapher takes action.

Rhett MiIIer

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 02:30:00 pm »
I bet you're a porky midget

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 02:33:00 pm »
Wait, what happened to all my posts, and how'd I become a junior member?

chaz

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 02:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett MiIIer:
  I bet you're a porky midget
Yeah!  Let's do that one again!

chaz

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2004, 02:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Wait, what happened to all my posts, and how'd I become a junior member?
I guess that was one porky midget comment too many Rhett.  You've been downsized.

Ravens98

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2004, 02:38:00 pm »
Goes to show if you call someone a porky midget your gonna get in trouble.  Them's fighting words!