Author Topic: HOLY CRAP - NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM 10/10/07  (Read 55707 times)

vansmack

Re: HOLY CRAP - NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM 10/10/07
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »
Good.  The wife and I haven't fought about Radiohead in some time.

My prediction: she loves it, I hate it, and I end up on the couch.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Good.  The wife and I haven't fought about Radiohead in some time.

My prediction: she loves it, I hate it, and I end up on the couch.
and then you'll pay through the nose for tickets to the tour, to get back in her good graces?

a modern-day love story if i've ever heard one.
<sig>

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »
Post of the week.

Originally posted by manimtired:

Originally posted by The Parkers are dead:

Originally posted by kosmo:
  First Smashing Pumpkins and now Radiohead, this place sure has gotten DULL around here...
You forgot Queens of the Stone Age and Foo Fighters [/b]
seriously...this place doesnt seem much different from a DC101 message board in terms of bands discussed. (i dont know if there is a DC101 message board) [/b]

bnyced0

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »
Well it looks like I'm subsidizing some of you deadbeats because I ordered the disc box.

I'll probably gift the 12" because the last thing I need is to get sucked back into collecting vinyl.  

I want to encourage this potential sales model of releasing shit when it's ready rather than the artificial release dates and silly marketing strategies that have strangled the industry, well those dumb moves and whack ass releases have done that.  

At least they're trying to do some unique shit to keep our interest, and if they're able to keep 60%-70% of the sales price in profit so be it.  

Keeping everything in-house,and 100% artist controlled has made Ani D financially viable, so more power to anyone following that example, except of course if the new album sucks, but I'm obviously betting $80 that it won't...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »
finally got my order in late last night, decided to go with $10.  

along with ani, don't forget prince as a pioneer of self-releasing (there's a nice visual for ya). while he got his start under a big label, he kept himself in fancy clothes through most of the 90's and early 00's via independent online sales.  

by handling ditribution, i'm willing to bet radiohead can do a better job of controlling leaks of the unreleased album.

i have a feeling that this album might be something of a watershed moment in the music industry.
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

First Smashing Pumpkins and now Radiohead, this place sure has gotten DULL around here...
seriously...this place doesnt seem much different from a DC101 message board in terms of bands discussed. (i dont know if there is a DC101 message board) [/b]
Someone has sand in their vagina.
‼‼?‼‼

bnyced0

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  finally got my order in late last night, decided to go with $10.  

along with ani, don't forget prince as a pioneer of self-releasing (there's a nice visual for ya). while he got his start under a big label, he kept himself in fancy clothes through most of the 90's and early 00's via independent online sales.  

by handling ditribution, i'm willing to bet radiohead can do a better job of controlling leaks of the unreleased album.

i have a feeling that this album might be something of a watershed moment in the music industry.
I can't imagine that Prince's foray into independent/online releases nearly successful nor lucrative enough to sustain him during the time frame you've indicated.  

I applauded his intent, and still got his albums (since I'm pretty sure I have all of them) during this time period and it was almost always after that model failed to a certain extent and he allowed more traditional distribution.  

In any case I believe his real cash cow was/is the sporadic and highly controlled touring he has done on a fairly consistent basis, but I'd love to see some numbers that support what you've said, because as you've pointed out elsewhere I'm not ALWAYS right.   ;)

Ani however, has been doing from the jump, and the quality of the product (the music) and packaging has always been top notch and reasonably priced, plus she's done alot for area in Buffalo where her studio/performance space/manufacturing etc is located.  Prince is one my all time favorites, but Ani wrote the book on how to do this shit right, though a nod to Ian and Fugazi should also be in this discussion.

manimtired

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by DeathFromAbove1979:

Someone has sand in their vagina. [/b]
someone must have sand in their ears to swoon over a shitty band like QOTSA

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »
Today has just been a great great day, especially because of this news. Seriously, I've been waiting since the end of the 2006 for some news like this, and it's GREAT. They won't disappoint, and I'm fairly confident that 2008 will be a huge year for them on the road.

----

Side note: I understand that people might not like Radiohead, but don't those of you who dislike the music at least appreciate their marketing for this? I love that they're going the DIY route with this one! (Hate the title though, "In Rainbows"...really? REALLY?)
Woof.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »
i should note that, currently, drudge has 2 links on this topic.
OU812

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:
  Side note: I understand that people might not like Radiohead, but don't those of you who dislike the music at least appreciate their marketing for this? I love that they're going the DIY route with this one!
I'm just very curious to see how it works out.  I'd like to know the average price people are paying for the downloads.   It's a ballsy move on their part for sure.

eros

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »
Has anyone else had trouble with their credit card on the site?
ʎɐʍou

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
   and please, never EVer EVER EVER compare Radiohead to the complete shite of Smashing Pumpkins,
Well since you bring them up... Corgan did beat Radiohead to the "free album online" concept by, oh, 7 years.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
 I can't imagine that Prince's foray into independent/online releases nearly successful nor lucrative enough to sustain him during the time frame you've indicated.  

I applauded his intent, and still got his albums (since I'm pretty sure I have all of them) during this time period and it was almost always after that model failed to a certain extent and he allowed more traditional distribution.  

In any case I believe his real cash cow was/is the sporadic and highly controlled touring he has done on a fairly consistent basis, but I'd love to see some numbers that support what you've said, because as you've pointed out elsewhere I'm not ALWAYS right.    :)
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2007, 02:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
 I'm just very curious to see how it works out.  I'd like to know the average price people are paying for the downloads.   It's a ballsy move on their part for sure.
It's actually a safer bet then you might think. Artists average about $1/album for traditional major label album sales. Take Radiohead's average for the last few albums as a case study: they sold around 600,000 copies of HTTT (I believe) and probably had 2 million illegally download it. So, they made $600,000 on that record (obviously the $$ is in touring).

Now, you take those same 2.6 million (hypothetical) people and they're all downloading the record, but Radiohead controls the means of distribution. Obviously alot are going to pay nothing as always. But even if you factor in costs for radiohead to run a server at $50,000, to recoup that plus make the 600,000 they would thru traditional sales, they only have to average around 24 cents per download. So my five dollars covered myself plus 19 freeloaders. Sweetcell's 10 spot covered him plus 39 others.

And any diskbox's they sell are just gravy. They're collecting $$ now, but not printing until later so they don't even have to have startup costs to do it. It's a pretty savvy plan.