Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 400819 times)

gavroche

Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #1500 on: July 10, 2020, 01:16:17 pm »
And that’s the thing..a ton of Americans agree with Trump..even liberals are going on vacations - with extended families (I see the posts on FB)- and just saying Fuck it I ain’t old ain’t going to kill me...my kids need our traditional vacay with their cousins

It's been clear for two months, or more, that the Republicans were committed to starving the economy into opening. The country cannot stay shut down without programs like UI that allow low wealth households to survive while the economy is shut down. Governors cannot stay shut when Trump is riling up his supporters.

The country could make it fine if it wanted to for a good long while.  It would require redistribution of some wealth from the top to the bottom.  Instead, the bailout worked the other way, shuffling money to the uber wealthy so they could buy distressed assets on the cheap.

So of course liberals aren't going to chip in.  Why bother sacrifice for a lost cause?  Especially if you are being forced into a crowded office and so aren't safe at work?   

hutch

« Reply #1501 on: July 10, 2020, 02:28:11 pm »
It’s too easy to just blame Trump and Republicans

The people I see on my FB at the beach..getting together with extended family...are wealthy...and liberal

Space Freely

« Reply #1502 on: July 10, 2020, 02:50:48 pm »

The people I see on my FB at the beach..getting together with extended family...are wealthy...and liberal

I'm not at the beach and don't plan to be but you don't get COVID outdoors at the beach. You get it when you go into the bars, shops, and restaurants after your day at the beach.

« Reply #1503 on: July 10, 2020, 02:59:34 pm »
yeah, seems like the issue is indoor prolonged exposure
after ALL these protests, there has been very little indication that those events were spreading things
but a lot has been traced to bars/parties/churches

that's where the school thing is an issue...spending the entire day with other indoor is not the same as a 1 hour visit to the grocery store once a week

*I'm not a doctor and my advice should be taken at your own risk
slack

hutch

« Reply #1504 on: July 10, 2020, 03:03:54 pm »
Right

Nobody is getting it when they go out to dinner with family, hang for hours in beach houses, drive together in cars

hutch

« Reply #1505 on: July 10, 2020, 03:05:18 pm »
And we don’t know 100% how people get it

We have heard many cases of people at the beach picking it up and going back to their community and spreading covid

But some people just want to argue

Space Freely

« Reply #1506 on: July 10, 2020, 03:07:31 pm »
yeah, seems like the issue is indoor prolonged exposure
after ALL these protests, there has been very little indication that those events were spreading things
but a lot has been traced to bars/parties/churches

that's where the school thing is an issue...spending the entire day with other indoor is not the same as a 1 hour visit to the grocery store once a week

*I'm not a doctor and my advice should be taken at your own risk

I guess regarding indoor spread in schools, workplace, etc. is how much will 100% mask compliance help prevent spread.

gavroche

« Reply #1507 on: July 10, 2020, 03:15:32 pm »

It's just a prisoners dilemma.  Once you know that there is nothing to gain by working together, you of course start taking care of yourself first and foremost.  Trump made it clear that we wouldn't be working together.

hutch

« Reply #1508 on: July 10, 2020, 03:24:40 pm »
Huh? Nothing to gain by avoiding covid?

That’s a weird thing to say

And the idea letting this thing get out of control isn’t going to impact us?

This keeps going the way it is there are going to be serious repercussions for everyone
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:26:31 pm by hutch »

« Reply #1509 on: July 10, 2020, 03:46:47 pm »
So isn't massive testing the solution.
Shouldn't the state have all staff and students take a test before returning to the classroom?
If you keep out those who are infected, you are lowering the risk substantially

I think there was a lot of mistrust of the results of the tests, but I think a lot of people are confusing it with the Antibody tests

It seems like the scientific community has a lot of faith in the current testing

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-accurate-are-covid-19-diagnostic-and-antibody-tests#Two-tests-that-diagnose-an-infection

statements like this make you feel good
If performed correctly, RT-PCR swab tests “would be pretty close to 100 percent accurate,”

although this statement has me concerned.
To get the most accurate results, RT-PCR tests should be conducted 8 days after suspected exposure or infection, to ensure that enough viral material is present to detect.

So you could have been infected/exposed, but have to wait 8 days before they can see it in test results

This also happened to me, when I had two different tests
“If you’ve had this test and it wasn’t uncomfortable, it wasn’t done correctly,” Schaffner told Healthline.

I was happy with the first test, as they only put a regular Q-tip in, but the other test was the brainstem touch one
not painful, but uncomfortable

slack

hutch

« Reply #1510 on: July 10, 2020, 03:59:14 pm »
So you test kids and teachers every day before they go to school or just before the first day? Every week?

Going back to school worked if we had this under control but the way it’s going...it may not be feasible in many places...of course Trump will insist...

But what about teachers?

I kind of think it’s like sports...not workable unless we really get this under control

« Reply #1511 on: July 10, 2020, 04:11:02 pm »
So you test kids and teachers every day before they go to school or just before the first day? Every week?
I have no idea, but I don't hear a single person talking about it

At a minimum, tests a few weeks before the start and you have to submit your results prior to start
Obviously anyone showing the slightest symptoms would be sent home for 10 days and required to take a test before returning

then periodic testing?

I think the same should be for any staff/3rd party people that work at nursing homes/hospitals/dr's offices

I'm just spitballing (although I'll keep my spit on this side of the computer screen)

...of course Trump will insist...
he can insist all he wants, the states/counties run the schools, not the federal gov't

while no chump change, the Fed's only fund about 8% of pubilc schools
(costs about $13k a year per pupil )
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:16:06 pm by Abolish the Side-burbs ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #1512 on: July 10, 2020, 05:21:05 pm »
The point is it’s not really very realistic unless covid is under control

The first case of a school having an outbreak would be the end of it...

We already see outbreaks happening in camps...

Most states aren’t even able to do contact tracing...way too many cases

« Reply #1513 on: July 10, 2020, 07:29:36 pm »
slack

« Reply #1514 on: July 11, 2020, 08:39:38 am »
70k in on day
So much winning
slack