Author Topic: OFFICIAL Virgin Mobile FREEFEST 2009 Q/A - Hype Thread! REVISED  (Read 338661 times)

hemisphire

Re: OFFICIAL Virgin Mobile FREEFEST 2009 Q/A - Hype Thread! REVISED
« Reply #720 on: August 31, 2009, 12:00:39 pm »
We parked at the mall in a garage I knew was used for concert overflow parking, and it turned out the entrance for the fest was right there, easy in and out.  My favorites for the day were Mates Of State and Weezer (who else could bookend their set with covers and still squeeze in all the hits under an hour)?

Food was good, shade and water were great, I'd definitely pay to get the same thing next year.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #721 on: August 31, 2009, 12:16:42 pm »
what cover did weezer end with?

opening up with "war pigs" was fun... and confusing: why would they open with a cover?!?  we left weezer to catch the tail end of girl talk... who played "war pigs"!  what are the chances of hearing the a sabbath song twice at a festival? :)
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #722 on: August 31, 2009, 12:28:32 pm »
Should I stay or should I go
T.Rex

Vas Deferens

« Reply #723 on: August 31, 2009, 12:34:26 pm »
"should i stay or should i go" ...

I actually enjoyed the Weezer performance except for their lame songs like pork and beans and beverly hills. Would have been great if they did "Pink Triangle" just to shut up their fans (as they did with "The Good Life").

Really enjoyed St. Vincent, last 3 songs of Holy Fuck, and the National.

Girl Talk = same boring schtick, different day.

Public Enemy = waste of time

Franz Ferdinand = best of the fest!!!

(_|_)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #724 on: August 31, 2009, 01:04:11 pm »
Was a great time. Thanks to NKOTB (although I might have the wrong forumer) for the restaurant rec. and great directions. :) I parked in the mall - and the spot was maybe a 5 min walk from MPP. I even asked mall security cop where it was, as I couldnt remember for the life of me. They were super nice. Leaving was even easier - took 3 mins or so to be out of the mall. Timed it perfectly.

Managed to see near full sets of most bands I wanted to see.

Caught a lot of Jet's set - which I was pleasantly surprised with.

Public Enemy - after about 20 mins I had seen enough. Although I just love Chuck D.

The Bravery - they sounded great and I am liking their new stuff - and considering I wont pay to see them at T5, this was good enough.

The National - amazed how no one was watching them. I got over there and managed to walk up almost all the way to the front. Just love 'Fake Empire' and thought they had a great set.

Weezer - were fun. I didnt even attempt to get into the pavilion but I did manage to find a spot in the very front of the hill and had a great view, plus the help of the screens. I took off after 'The Good Life' as I had to see Girl Talk.

Girl Talk - if I never see him again, it'd be fine with me. Was expecting a bunch more (prob seen way too many videos) and felt that it didnt come close to my own expectations.

Blink 182 - I had no intention of seeing them, but after leaving Girl Talk went back to my same spot as where I was at Weezer. I was surprised I knew almost all of their songs - I never recalled listening to them that much - Ill thank the radio. They sounded great and seemed like they were having a ton of fun.

Franz - well they never disappoint! And was a great set. I couldnt get their songs out of my head driving home which I guess is a good thing.

The drive home sucked - very long and I was tired. I guess my only real complaint was - after having read it would be over at 10pm, I prepared myself for that. 11pm was a bit rough so I had to cut out on some of Franz's set.

Overall, I had a great time. Lots of good bands and I could see a lot of near-full sets. That was a total bonus. Easy enough to walk from stage to stage.

I swear everyone was watching Weezer!
HeyLa

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #725 on: August 31, 2009, 01:36:44 pm »
Drove past the 2nd stage as Wale was on, that was disappointing. Then we sat at our spot and had a few beers. Walked about 20 minutes or so, got more beers danced a bit. I wanted the dance stage to be louder! Got free Converse size 9 left shoes, check out the booths. Didnt really catch anyone's whole set, just stayed for about 15 20 minutes for everyone. By the time Girl Talk came on we were exhausted and drunk as hell, walked back to the car and relaxed for a while before deciding to head back. Not a bad Sunday. Anyone hit the karaoke stage? Hahahahaha
‼‼?‼‼

Vas Deferens

« Reply #726 on: August 31, 2009, 02:05:41 pm »
was sweetcell wearing a red shirt yesterday?
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #727 on: August 31, 2009, 02:32:01 pm »

nope, i was wearing a black NIN t-shirt.
<sig>

mahimahi1414

« Reply #728 on: August 31, 2009, 02:36:44 pm »
I got there early and just stayed on the rail of the West Stage all day. I really liked the first band, Sunday's Roulette. They looked like they were still in high school but they rocked out and got te crowd moving enough to start a small mosh put. Does anyone know how they wound up on the bill? I thought Wale was hilarious, possibly the best show I saw there even though I typically don't like rap. Girl Talk, Hold Steady, Public Enemy, and the National were good as well. The only two weak acts I thought were St. Vincent, although she's not really my type of music, and Birthday Massacre.

Also I thought the crowd control was very good. Compared to previous Virgin Fests, there was a lot less pushing and shoving, and I was way up in the front. The only two acts where I saw any was Public Enemy and Girl Talk and that wasn't too bad.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #729 on: August 31, 2009, 02:42:12 pm »
wow me too!  with front saying 1989-2009?  :P

nope, i was wearing a black NIN t-shirt.
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #730 on: August 31, 2009, 02:44:49 pm »
yup, and the wrong dates on the back.
<sig>

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #731 on: August 31, 2009, 03:56:29 pm »
what cover did weezer end with?

opening up with "war pigs" was fun... and confusing: why would they open with a cover?!?  we left weezer to catch the tail end of girl talk... who played "war pigs"!  what are the chances of hearing the a sabbath song twice at a festival? :)
I was listening to Sabbath on the way home, including War Pigs.

I didn't stay long.  Watched the Hold Steady then Public Enemy and that was enough.

I thought the setup was really decent, there were just not that many bands I wanted to see.  But I really did think that Merriweather was a great spot for this sort of thing.  Getting in and out was a piece of cake.  A few assholes during PE's set, but nothing too bad.  We were right up front and after a few too many crowd surfers we bailed from there. 

I give the lineup a "C-", but give Seth and Merriweather an "A".

betao

« Reply #732 on: August 31, 2009, 04:26:11 pm »

it was totally possible that i said something to you, as i talked to people wearing NIN t-shirts (mainly just talking about the last shows they've done)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #733 on: August 31, 2009, 04:32:48 pm »

it was totally possible that i said something to you, as i talked to people wearing NIN t-shirts (mainly just talking about the last shows they've done)

yup, a random person came up to me at the 932 and asked me about which show(s) i saw - must have been you (i answered that i was at both T5 shows).  there were 4-5 of us sitting at a table in the near corner on the left (near the stage) as soon as you walked in the 932.

dammit, planning fail on my part.  next time i'll let y'all know what i'm wearing or some other way of ID'ing the gang.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #734 on: August 31, 2009, 04:40:28 pm »
betao, i think you spoke to me after the Holy F**k set...we also talked about MBV in Richmond....was that you?
(_|_)