Author Topic: IMP to Operate Lincoln Theatre  (Read 26981 times)

hutch

Re: IMP to Operate Lincoln Theatre
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2013, 04:06:32 pm »
Also, if he booked Wu Tang at the Lincoln Theatre, it would be all white people there.

The Howard does the best job of serving the community.. look at all the Ethiopian acts they 're booking..they're filling a niche that needs filling.

I'm sorry but many of the acts that are being booked at the Howard are acts that otherwise were not being booked in DC.. that is part of what adding to, and serving the community are about..

Of course IMP can book Neko Case anywhere.. she's been booked in DC pretty much every year going back forever.. it adds nothing.. it may add to IMPs bottom line which is fine... I love Seth, he has my dream job and he does it well but diversity is not his forte.. he admitted himself they have no clue about latin rock and really don't care (those last four words are mine: if they cared they'd get a clue).. fine, they don't have to but then they don't care about serving the latin community or rather the constituency for latin shows in DC.. that is fine.. no biggie.. the Howard will book those shows ..

Diversity is just not IMPs forte.. nothing illegal about that..nothing racist .. nothing bad..

but you better damn well know its going to be pointed out and people are going to notice.. and you can call those people all racists or you can think about it for a second

Is the Howard racist for not booking Travis, Neko Case, and Laura Marling or any band that I would ever want to see?  And if Seth's starts booking all the shows the Howard place does what will they book? 

No the Howard is not racist but you might be .. how do you like them apples Mr. toss the racist word around like nobody's business?

Why is the Howard not racist?  They should be booking bands that appeal to me?  I don't care about any of the acts that appear there.  Not one.  I don't understand your whole argument on this one.  You feel like you have to argue about something that doesn't concern you.  Are there acts that you want to see that don't play in DC because no one will book them?  How does booking an act that appeals to one race promote diversity?  How does picking acts based on the color of their skin be anything other than racism.  Why do you even think of the colour of an acts skin?  I just listen to bands who I like.  Whatever race or color or sexual orientation. It is weird how you are so concerned about this. 

well if it bothers you to think about it in terms of color of skin just think of it like this:

acts that appeal to different people... and not the same kind of people.. forget about skin color..

Yada

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2013, 04:07:50 pm »
Also, if he booked Wu Tang at the Lincoln Theatre, it would be all white people there.

The Howard does the best job of serving the community.. look at all the Ethiopian acts they 're booking..they're filling a niche that needs filling.

I'm sorry but many of the acts that are being booked at the Howard are acts that otherwise were not being booked in DC.. that is part of what adding to, and serving the community are about..

Of course IMP can book Neko Case anywhere.. she's been booked in DC pretty much every year going back forever.. it adds nothing.. it may add to IMPs bottom line which is fine... I love Seth, he has my dream job and he does it well but diversity is not his forte.. he admitted himself they have no clue about latin rock and really don't care (those last four words are mine: if they cared they'd get a clue).. fine, they don't have to but then they don't care about serving the latin community or rather the constituency for latin shows in DC.. that is fine.. no biggie.. the Howard will book those shows ..

Diversity is just not IMPs forte.. nothing illegal about that..nothing racist .. nothing bad..

but you better damn well know its going to be pointed out and people are going to notice.. and you can call those people all racists or you can think about it for a second

Is the Howard racist for not booking Travis, Neko Case, and Laura Marling or any band that I would ever want to see?  And if Seth's starts booking all the shows the Howard place does what will they book? 

I'd agree with that... There's only so much room for one or two gospel brunches in DC. Also, even the so called "diverse" acts that are at The Howard are by my guess, most likely attended by those boring vanilla white people (but that's a discussion for another thread).

that's preposterous... boring vanilla white people going to see Ethiopian acts? There weren't any boring white people at the Babasonicos... all boring latin people...

Its very simple.. either you accept that the venue has some responsibility to serve the interests of the community where it resides or not.. when Seth was only booking the 930 you could say "hey its just a rock club and that kind of music is mainly white.." but Seth has come a long way now.. and he books at many many venues in town.. and when he starts booking/running a historic african american venue he's going to get called out if he's booking the same acts -yeah white- all over again...

I once talked to the Manager of a DC venue and she emphasized that she wanted to book acts that appealed to the people of DC.. she thought it made economic sense (ie., the shows wouuld do well) AND was the right thing to do.. I tend to agree with that...  you CAN make money while booking latin rock, ethiopian acts, black acts whatever...

Ok.. that was a generalization. Maybe the latin/Ethiopian demographic supports artists of their culture more than boring vanilla white people, but I'd bet my left pinkie toe that any hip hop act in DC or anywhere for that matter has more white people attending than black people.

James Ford

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2013, 04:13:57 pm »
Since when does the history of the Lincoln Theater have anything to do with Ethiopian music?

hutch

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »
Since when does the history of the Lincoln Theater have anything to do with Ethiopian music?

You're so dense dude.. luckily you're punching out of your government job in a minute..

Since never.. the point was evidently lost on you.

atomicfront

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2013, 04:20:41 pm »
This argument is stupid.   If you think that bands aren't being booked in DC that could be profitable book them yourself.  You can rent a venue.   Seth has a limited amount of time.  He can't be an expert on every genre to the point where he knows how many tickets will sell at which price.  He seems to be doing very well and has enough bands booked that he can make more than a decent living. 

hutch

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 04:31:05 pm »
This argument is stupid.   If you think that bands aren't being booked in DC that could be profitable book them yourself.  You can rent a venue.   Seth has a limited amount of time.  He can't be an expert on every genre to the point where he knows how many tickets will sell at which price.  He seems to be doing very well and has enough bands booked that he can make more than a decent living. 

yeah except music venues are actually there to serve the community- and not just a part of the community- and not just Seth's pocket.. you probably grew up with the idea that your only responsibility is to make money for yourself so you have no idea what i'm talking about

if Seth cares about latin rock he can always email me through this board.. I'd be more than glad to help him.. on my dime. Point is he doesn't care.. and thats fine.. he doesn't have to but he will get called out for it in the City Paper and he wont like it.. he doesnt have to.

by the way the Lincoln Theatre is a CITY owned venue which is even MORE reason it should serve the community at large... however, if you read Seth's comments (WP article) he plans to book the same acts that he's booking at the 930 Club.. he says as much..talk about boring..

One last point, IMP had to BID to win.. .. they placed the best bid.. the city of DC has not divulged who the other bidders are and I have no idea on what basis prospective managers' bid.. obviously one assumes no subsidies of DC taxpayer money.

I found this quote funny:

?The new vision for the theater represents the growing diversity of our city,? said Lionell Thomas, executive director of the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities, in a press release.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 04:32:48 pm »
Wow it got thick in here quick.... And while the WCP writer has a point they could have been less snide about it.  And remember Seth can only really book acts that are available.  One offs are rare and expensive..  I suspect we'll see Alice Smith there soon, singer with local roots and a loyal following.  Probably to soon from her other area shows.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:35:31 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 04:35:46 pm »
This is very funny.. if you read Seth's quote you can tell he thinks this whole deal is to serve the interests of HIS community or the people who go to the 930 and play the 930.. if you don't go to the 930 or play the 930 currently you really don't exist apparently.. it is a very very strange way of talking about it...:

?There a lot of acts who want to work with us, love the 9:30 Club, want to play downtown, but would understandably like to try something different. And I think our audience will appreciate the variety as well,? said Hurwitz, who was reached via email while on a flight. ?My thing is to fit the right venue with the right show, and this gives us one more tool in our box to do that?a tool we didn?t have. I like to push boundaries?we will do that here, to everyone?s delight I hope.?

Hurwitz said that the venue would accommodate seated shows and comedy acts that had previously been booked at the 9:30 Club. He plans to staff the theater with employees from his other venues.

atomicfront

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »
This is very funny.. if you read Seth's quote you can tell he thinks this whole deal is to serve the interests of HIS community or the people who go to the 930 and play the 930.. if you don't go to the 930 or play the 930 currently you really don't exist apparently.. it is a very very strange way of talking about it...:

?There a lot of acts who want to work with us, love the 9:30 Club, want to play downtown, but would understandably like to try something different. And I think our audience will appreciate the variety as well,? said Hurwitz, who was reached via email while on a flight. ?My thing is to fit the right venue with the right show, and this gives us one more tool in our box to do that?a tool we didn?t have. I like to push boundaries?we will do that here, to everyone?s delight I hope.?

Hurwitz said that the venue would accommodate seated shows and comedy acts that had previously been booked at the 9:30 Club. He plans to staff the theater with employees from his other venues.

You are part of his community so what are you complaining about?  Of course, he is concerned about his business.  For some reason you don't understand why Seth books bands.  It is to make money.  Not to make you happy.  If he started booking bands that you didn't like you wouldn't go to the shows just because you cared about Seth.  He didn't agree to take over the Lincoln Theater to create a diverse place for everyone in the community to be served equally.  That is the government's job.  They give grants to venues to help them do this.

The only events that I have ever been to that had a true diverse audience was the Reggae Festival at pier 6 a few years back and the Jazz Festival in Montreal.  Most events are made up of people of a certain race, economic class, and and age group.  And a lot of time there are a lot more women at events than men that I go to. 

Yada

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2013, 04:47:22 pm »

You are part of his community so what are you complaining about?  Of course, he is concerned about his business.  For some reason you don't understand why Seth books bands.  It is to make money.  Not to make you happy.  If he started booking bands that you didn't like you wouldn't go to the shows just because you cared about Seth.  He didn't agree to take over the Lincoln Theater to create a diverse place for everyone in the community to be served equally.  That is the government's job.  They give grants to venues to help them do this.

The only events that I have ever been to that had a true diverse audience was the Reggae Festival at pier 6 a few years back and the Jazz Festival in Montreal.  Most events are made up of people of a certain race, economic class, and and age group.  And a lot of time there are a lot more women at events than men that I go to. 

women = 14 year old girls.

hutch

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2013, 04:56:26 pm »

Except the government owns this venue so I don't think its going to work very well for the government to own a venue that serves the interests of Seth's community.. something about what Seth said and the Executive Director of the DC Comisssion on Arts said just doesn't match...

of course we know the deal: the place is a money loser and the city is just glad to get essentially get rid of it (at least no more subsidies)...they can't say this though...I guess ultimately they will get some sort of canon out of it (cut) and they can use that canon to benefit the people of DC.

But for Seth to say "Yeah I'm taking over the management of this historic venue  and its just basically going to be just like the 930 except it has seats.. and yeah the acts and people coming will be the same.."

so yeah if you like the 930 and you don't give a shit about the lincoln theatre's history or its role in the african american community or the fact that Billie Holiday played there.. if that means nothing to you.. if all you care about is seeing the same acts roll through town, with the same people in the crowd.. then yeah, this deal's for you buddy.

or you can go to the Howard Theatre where they do care about the place's history and they take pride in it and they serve the general DC community...

two models..take your pick. what is so funny is that they were both arguably implemented by the same city, within a few years of each other, and are only a few blocks from each other...

atomicfront

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2013, 05:20:04 pm »

Except the government owns this venue so I don't think its going to work very well for the government to own a venue that serves the interests of Seth's community.. something about what Seth said and the Executive Director of the DC Comisssion on Arts said just doesn't match...

of course we know the deal: the place is a money loser and the city is just glad to get essentially get rid of it (at least no more subsidies)...they can't say this though...I guess ultimately they will get some sort of canon out of it (cut) and they can use that canon to benefit the people of DC.

But for Seth to say "Yeah I'm taking over the management of this historic venue  and its just basically going to be just like the 930 except it has seats.. and yeah the acts and people coming will be the same.."

so yeah if you like the 930 and you don't give a shit about the lincoln theatre's history or its role in the african american community or the fact that Billie Holiday played there.. if that means nothing to you.. if all you care about is seeing the same acts roll through town, with the same people in the crowd.. then yeah, this deal's for you buddy.

or you can go to the Howard Theatre where they do care about the place's history and they take pride in it and they serve the general DC community...

two models..take your pick. what is so funny is that they were both arguably implemented by the same city, within a few years of each other, and are only a few blocks from each other...

I like the Lincoln Theater so yeah I would like bands to play there that I actually like.  It is cool the place has history but I don't get how race should play into this.  I will pick the Lincoln thank you very much.  It has bands that I like playing there. 3 of the first 5 are bands I want to see. 

I have no idea how you are going to convince anyone that they should prefer to see bands that have zero interest in seeing is better than a place where the bands that they actually love seeing.  I don't care about how you think that a show that no one will attend would be good for the community.   And I don't get why you are fighting so strongly for something that isn't related to you. If you are going to be proud of someones heritage I would think it would be your own. 

If the bands at the Howard weren't so racist they would try and appeal to me.  Maybe they could do some music with better melodies and harmonies.. 

hutch

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2013, 05:45:09 pm »

I like the Lincoln Theater so yeah I would like bands to play there that I actually like.  It is cool the place has history but I don't get how race should play into this.  I will pick the Lincoln thank you very much.  It has bands that I like playing there. 3 of the first 5 are bands I want to see. 

I have no idea how you are going to convince anyone that they should prefer to see bands that have zero interest in seeing is better than a place where the bands that they actually love seeing.  I don't care about how you think that a show that no one will attend would be good for the community.   And I don't get why you are fighting so strongly for something that isn't related to you. If you are going to be proud of someones heritage I would think it would be your own. 

If the bands at the Howard weren't so racist they would try and appeal to me.  Maybe they could do some music with better melodies and harmonies.. 

whoaaaaa nelly!

I'm not fighting and don't care very much... its a conversation..if you don't want to have it move on down the road...this is a public forum, I think?

hutch

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2013, 06:13:34 pm »
I'm out..this is too rich for my blood! CIAO  ;D

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2013, 06:46:16 pm »
hey wait a minute . . . you all forgot about the new guy who posted like three pages ago.  my eyes hurt reading all this stuff.  stop quoting every damn post, just post your post and make people connect the lines; make them think for your logic, damn you.  and go back and say hey to the new guy.  his name was funny, i think.