Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 67748 times)

SPARX

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2003, 05:32:00 pm »
[/qb]
bought my philly tickets today, also expecting dc the next night [/QB][/QUOTE]
                                                    I wouldn't count on that!

jadetree

« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2003, 06:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:

I wouldn't count on that!
Well you cant just say that, what should I count on?

jadetree

« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2003, 11:16:00 am »
Looks like The Blood Brothers will be opening for Cursive on their september tour.

paige

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2003, 11:20:00 am »
Originally posted by Bob Pollard:
  Looks like The Blood Brothers will be opening for Cursive on their september tour.
yesssss.. arent they coming to the black cat around the 24th (aka my birthday!)?

jadetree

« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2003, 11:30:00 am »
Originally posted by paige:
  yesssss.. arent they coming to the black cat around the 24th (aka my birthday!)?
9/23

markie

« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2003, 11:41:00 am »
BTW, who are the greyboy allstars and string cheese incident? Am I missing out not having a clue who these people are?

jadetree

« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2003, 11:42:00 am »
Originally posted by the scientist:
  BTW, who are the greyboy allstars and string cheese incident? Am I missing out not having a clue who these people are?
string cheese incident are a jam band, i saw them at constitution hall last year or the year before, you would hate them, i dont regret going but I would not go again

« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2003, 11:43:00 am »
I don't know who the Greyboy AllStars are, but the String Cheese Incident is just another dumb jam band. For the life of me, I'll never understand the popularity of jam bands.So, no, you're not missing out on anything, imo.

markie

« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2003, 11:46:00 am »
Bob you like shite music.

So who are the greyboy allstars?

I dont recall ever hearing that name?

As for jam bands, they are cool if they are playing in a bar or something, otherwise, I have no idea why anyone would like them, perhaps Bob can help with this one?

jadetree

« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2003, 11:50:00 am »
The Scientist, you like shit music too.

Well I dont like most jam bands, I pretty much just like moe and Phish.   I only went to the String Cheese Incident because somebody had already bought tickets and invited me along, I had never listened to their music before that.  

As far as I can tell, a lot of the popularity of jam bands (other than Phish who are decent musicians IMHO) is due to the fans like being in the environment that comes with their live shows.  All your hemp clothing and tie dye clothes and the drugs.

markie

« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2003, 11:57:00 am »
Originally posted by Bob Pollard:
  The Scientist, you like shit music too.

Thats as maybe, but I dont like hanging out with people who have hemp tie dyed clothing and drugs, you wastrel.

Is that the appeal? Couldnt they save some money and hang out in the local head shop?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #131 on: July 11, 2003, 11:58:00 am »
from allmusic.com  (i thought there was a connection to Sublime, possibly one of the worst bands ever, but i most of having been thinking of another group)

An acid jazz band that focuses more on jazz than groove-oriented dance music, the Greyboy Allstars came together in 1993 when noted rare-groove DJ Greyboy (aka Andreas Stevens) met up with Karl Denson, a saxophone player who was then touring with Lenny Kravitz. The pair collaborated on two tracks for Ubiquity Records' Home Cookin' compilation, and then worked on Greyboy's 1994 solo album for Ubiquity, Freestylin'. After forming their own label, Greyboy Records, the duo gradually amassed members for a house band — guitarist Michael Andrews (formerly with the Origin), bassist Chris Stillwell, drummer Zak Najor and keyboard player Robert Walter. The Greyboy Allstars toured around the area and in 1995 released their debut album West Coast Boogaloo (with contributions from groove legend Fred Wesley). Tours throughout Europe and the States followed that year (as well as a second solo album from Greyboy himself), and the group released a concert document Live in April 1997. Two months later, the Greyboy Allstars released their second studio LP, Town Called Earth, recorded with a recent recruit, guitarist Elgin Park. Apart from Greyboy, Karl Denson and Robert Walter have each recorded solo LPs as well. — John Bush
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2003, 12:01:00 pm »
thanks Kosmo,

so no one on the board has heard of them then, that is quite impressive....

Although allstars does seem to be rather a misnoma.

someone must like them as their tickets are $25, do you think thye will be worth $25?

ggw

« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2003, 12:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  from allmusic.com  (i thought there was a connection to Sublime, possibly one of the worst bands ever, but i most of having been thinking of another group)

You are thinking of Long Beach Dub All-Stars.  I was listening to them last night.

And what makes Sublime "possibly one of the worst bands ever?"

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2003, 12:26:00 pm »
  thanks Kosmo,

so no one on the board has heard of them then, that is quite impressive....

Although allstars does seem to be rather a misnoma.

someone must like them as their tickets are $25, do you think thye will be worth $25?
i've heard of them before, particularily one of the members Karl Denison who plays in DC.  i'm guessing they are quite popular with the jam band set....

yeah it was probably long beach allstars i was thinking of, and i detest sublime because of their uber crap hit song.  makes me want to get on a water tower with a super soaker...
T.Rex