Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 67747 times)

Bags

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2003, 09:25:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I much prefer the Black Cat and Iota lineups over the bands the 9:30 brings in.
I find they vary -- some months, there are multiple shows that are fantastic at Black Cat.  But another month, it will be the 9:30 Club that brings in a bunch of bands I want to see.  Thank goodness for them both.

Barcelona

« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2003, 08:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Andrew WK:

Originally posted by Barcelona:
 [I went to both shows. Nothing against them but not my type of music. I left both shows after a few songs. [/b]
Alright, you win.....

Sorry I gave you a hard time. I wasnt particularly struck by Q and not U live or by Lunas recorded material either....

I do like Ballboy and Interpol......

So does that mean you will go to see the fall and idlewild? [/QB]
That is exactly the main reason why I try to visit the 9:30 board as much as possible. This is the only place I have to check out new bands. I remember back at home I used to watch MTV's 120 minutes. Back in the early nineties, (along with a Spanish magazine called Ruta 69) that was the best way to check out new bands in that part of Europe. Unfortunately, today everything is Eminem, Britney, Radiohead, stupid new punk bands... so basically this is the only way I have to get new good albums. I apologize for my ignorance, but I don't know Idlewild. I will check them this week before. As for The Fall, I only have a couple of their albums, but will probably see them. Lots of respect for them.

Bags

« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2003, 11:32:00 pm »
[/QB][/QUOTE]That is exactly the main reason why I try to visit the 9:30 board as much as possible. This is the only place I have to check out new bands. I remember back at home I used to watch MTV's 120 minutes. Back in the early nineties, (along with a Spanish magazine called Ruta 69) that was the best way to check out new bands in that part of Europe. Unfortunately, today everything is Eminem, Britney, Radiohead, stupid new punk bands... so basically this is the only way I have to get new good albums. I apologize for my ignorance, but I don't know Idlewild. I will check them this week before. As for The Fall, I only have a couple of their albums, but will probably see them. Lots of respect for them. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm with you *exactly* Barcelona.  But there are still so many bands, and it's still hard to get a feel for what kind of bands the folks on the boards like, so you know who's on your musical 'wave length.'   Enough folks have mentioned Idlewild that I definitely want to check them out.

As an FYI, 120 Minutes has been on MTV2 all along, and it's still a great guide -- although last month they changed the name, time and running time.  Now it's "Subterranean," on Friday nights and it's only an hour (which really, really pisses me off).  But, there are videos by lots of bands that come through town.  Watching that show got me to Soundtrack of our Lives (which was awesome), and kept me away from Bright Eyes (just not my cup of tea).

See ya on the boards!

PS, if you like sunny power pop, the Fountains of Wayne show at 9:30 on Tuesday, July 8, should be good.  Their new album is as catchy as hell.

markie

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2003, 10:48:00 am »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  I apologize for my ignorance, but I don't know Idlewild. I will check them this week before. As for The Fall, I only have a couple of their albums, but will probably see them. Lots of respect for them. [/QB]
I too have found great things through the board... But these days I listen to more independant internet radio stations like woxy and kexp to avoid losing touch.

idlewild are Scottish rockers, rapidly becoming poppier. They normally put on a great show although familiarity of their material is recommended for an enjoyable concert experience.

Get copies of the remote part and 100 broken windows....

Dandy01

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2003, 07:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by paige:

Originally posted by Dandy01:
  hey, do you know a guy named Drew who works there?
yep, his desk is right next to mine!   :)  [/b]
hey, no way, that's funny - he's a friend of a friend.  There's another guy named Patrick he  knows also, know him?

Barcelona

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2003, 09:04:00 am »
Bags and The Scientist, thanks for the info. I think I will check both Idlewild and Fountains of Wayne. Yesterday I tried to get both albums at DCCD and the other store on 18th Street but wasn't able to get them. Will check the shows. Thanks also for the information on the radio stations and the new version of 120 Minutes.

Bags

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2003, 06:26:00 pm »
I am listening to Idlewild now, and I'm so happy.  I took the scientist's advice and got "The Remote Part" and "100 Broken Windows."  [I got them at Borders, which makes me sad, but I got to listen to them at those listening stations where you just scan the barcode.]

Now I will absolutely not miss the show, like I did for Longwave, Ash and The Oranges Band.  I so regret all those shows I've missed!!  

Thanks. by the way, Scientist, I forgot who you used to be...I hate that folks can change their displayed name.    :D

markie

« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2003, 06:40:00 pm »
my name is Markie, with an RRRRRRRRRR not mankie, and I am a scientist. I am British, not British wannabee like half the board, and Mankie.

I am glad you all liked idlewild. The albums took a while to grow on me, listen plenty of times before the show to maximize your enjoyment.

CD game exchange on 18th by columia has 2 copies of the remote part, but they are in the indie section in the far right hand corner at the bottom, not the rock section.

As for other shows ash was brilliant, Oranges band were crap, we left after two songs, but they played after Mclusky, bad mistake. Mcluskys pain and sadness is so much more sad and painful than anyone else's.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2003, 07:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  I am listening to Idlewild now, and I'm so happy.  I took the scientist's advice and got "The Remote Part" and "100 Broken Windows."  
Yay! Another Idlewild convert. You will not be disappointed by their live show.

walkman

« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2003, 07:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by the scientist:
  my name is Markie, with an RRRRRRRRRR not mankie, and I am a scientist. I am British, not British wannabee like half the board, and Mankie.

I am glad you all liked idlewild. The albums took a while to grow on me, listen plenty of times before the show to maximize your enjoyment.

CD game exchange on 18th by columia has 2 copies of the remote part, but they are in the indie section in the far right hand corner at the bottom, not the rock section.

As for other shows ash was brilliant, Oranges band were crap, we left after two songs, but they played after Mclusky, bad mistake. Mcluskys pain and sadness is so much more sad and painful than anyone else's.
Two things:

1.  100 Broken Windows is fantastic.
 2.  I'm not sure that The Rolling Stones could hold my attention after a Mclusky show, let alone those Baltimore wankers.  I mean, if Mclusky take more drugs than a touring funk band, then they take waaaay more drugs than the Oranges.

markie

« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2003, 08:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkman:

1.  100 Broken Windows is fantastic.
Check

2.  I'm not sure that The Rolling Stones could hold my attention after a Mclusky show, let alone those Baltimore wankers.  I mean, if Mclusky take more drugs than a touring funk band, then they take waaaay more drugs than the Oranges. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Double check.

The oranges were really shit though, right?

I think I saw a rattlesnake that looked like you.

thirsty moore

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2003, 12:40:00 am »
If it's the Oranges Band that you are talking about, they do not suck.  I thought they were great opening for The Breeders at the Ottobar in B'more.

markie

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2003, 12:47:00 am »
sure, Oranges band might have been fine supporting a well past their sell by date Breeders, but they were not very useful following the on form, hard rocking, more songs than a song convention, Mclusky.

The oranges bands video was on subterranean the other night. The song was alright, but did not strike me as being outstanding in any way.

thirsty moore

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2003, 01:23:00 am »
The Breeders last album may not have been very good, but you can't deny that Last Splash still sounds great.  They were certainly not past their prime at the show I saw in 2002.  Other members of the board can attest to that.  

Your McLusky example is poor.  They are an incredibly strong band.  Even Andrew WK would come off as weak following them.

I still like The Oranges Band.

Bags

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2003, 10:19:00 am »
(1)  You fellas were up late talking about this shit!  I was decompressing from a fantastic Fountains of Wayne show.  Thank god the boys are back on it; after the last show I was worried.  Still, it was an odd show -- talk about a range of ages.  My friend and I actually thought there was a family reunion taking up the entire left balcony, because it looked like all kinds of kids, parents, aunts & uncles and grandparents!!!

(2)  Isn't taking long to love "The Remote Part."  I'm on my third listen, and it is great.  Woo hoo!  I also bought Ash, the Ataris and Notwist...we'll see how those fare when I have the time to listen to them as well.