Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 67765 times)

Jaguär

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #345 on: August 28, 2003, 12:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  I thought you hated the stills?
I love The Stills.

I hate The Thrills.

SPARX

« Reply #346 on: August 28, 2003, 12:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

I love The Stills.

I hate The Thrills. [/b]
I don't care much for The Kills either.There just seems to be something lacking with most of the 2 member bands IMHO.

thirsty moore

« Reply #347 on: August 28, 2003, 12:54:00 pm »
Nice one Jag.  

I love The Stills.

I hate The Thrills.

Jaguär

« Reply #348 on: August 28, 2003, 12:57:00 pm »
  Nice one Jag.  

I love The Stills.

I hate The Thrills.
[/b]
;)

ggw

« Reply #349 on: August 28, 2003, 01:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  HO HO HUM  10/10 , 930 club i think.

mankie

« Reply #350 on: August 28, 2003, 01:13:00 pm »

I love The Stills.

I hate The Thrills. [/b]
What about Pills and Bellyaches?

Bags

« Reply #351 on: August 28, 2003, 01:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  HOT HOT HEAT  10/10 , 930 club i think.

can you really get enough of these guys?
I went to the last show, and I really enjoyed it.  The lead singer reminds me of a new wave Mitch Easter with his hair and apparent little lisp (he sticks his tongue out a lot).

Bags

« Reply #352 on: August 28, 2003, 01:52:00 pm »
Actually, he seems to play at least a couple times a year, but I could be mistaken.  Not sure I'll get a crew together for the show, but I may have to go anyway.  He is so marvy.  

I actually drove him around in my car, interviewed him on air at my college radio station and went to his soundcheck back in Poughkeepsie in 1988.  WOW.  They were opening for The Radiators, which of course made no sense, and there were like 10 people there for his part of the show.  After they played, the band came and sat with us until the Radiators came on (and we all left).

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

Originally posted by bags:
  So Saturday, Sept 6th is:

Bob Mould, Fletchers, (Sat, 9/6)
 Tommy Keene, Iota (Sat, 9/6)
 Stellastarr & Raveonettes, BC (Sat, 9/6)

What's a gal to do?  I want to see all of them (except the Raveonettes).  When it rains, it pours.
Tommy Keene... the lad is a power pop legend who only makes a once a year appearence in these parts.   and rarely does more than a dozen dates in year.  i would go but have parental units in town that weekend     :(  [/b]

Bags

« Reply #353 on: August 28, 2003, 01:55:00 pm »
No, but I have thoughts on their show.  BORING.  And I'm not as picky as some on the board.  But the two of them just stood there and sang, so out of it.  The only guy who made the show worth while was this crazy guitarist, who's really just a session guy touring with them.  He was a riot, standing and playing then suddenly bursting into a spastic fit.

I was completely unimpressed with them as a band.  And as it is, I find their EP kinda boring to listen to, so I was counting on the show livening things up.

I'd love to see Stellastar, but I think I *have* to go to Tommy Keene.

Originally posted by SPARX:
  Ant thoughts on the new Raveonettes?

ggw

« Reply #354 on: August 28, 2003, 02:01:00 pm »
 Tommy Keene... the lad is a power pop legend...
Places That Are Gone was definitely one of the best albums (EPs) of the Eighties, and Run Now was okay, but he just never seemed to live up to his early promise.

Bags

« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2003, 02:08:00 pm »
Have you seen his show, ggw?  I have a couple friends who aren't all that keen on his albums, but have really emjoyed his show.

I think Run Now was better than okay, and loved Based on Happy Times.  I have bought almost all the new stuff, but rarely listen to it.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Tommy Keene... the lad is a power pop legend...
Places That Are Gone was definitely one of the best albums (EPs) of the Eighties, and Run Now was okay, but he just never seemed to live up to his early promise. [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #356 on: August 28, 2003, 02:12:00 pm »
The shows I saw when he was playing with a band a couple of years ago were fantasic...  Recently he had gone the solo acoustic route which I didn't checkout.  His songs would work well that way though.
T.Rex

Jaguär

« Reply #357 on: August 28, 2003, 02:18:00 pm »
I have to agree that Tommy's live shows are completely different from his recordings. Of course, I haven't even seen him since the early to mid 80s when he was full of life and had a great band and following. Does anyone know if Ted Nicely is still playing with him? They were all very nice guys (at least to me, they were) and made for a good night for everyone.

Bags

« Reply #358 on: August 28, 2003, 02:25:00 pm »
Last time Keene played Iota, he played two nights; one with a full band and one solo.  I saw the full band, which rocked.  Don't know how the solo show was, though I wanted to go so much after the first show, but had tickets for something else I think.

I recognized at least one of the band members from the mid-80s, but can't rememember which one or who he is now.

andyrichter

« Reply #359 on: August 29, 2003, 12:06:00 am »
sorry if this has already been posted but: marilyn manson-october 25