Author Topic: V-Fest Prediction / Wishlist  (Read 80064 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: V-Fest Prediction / Wishlist
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by saintangelsin:
 Okay so how does one join this circle? (I try to post on a regular basis on here!)
I'll get you an application to join the posse. To begin, you can start collecting some things you'll need to attach to the appy: a headshot, a copy of your taxes, and a photo to confirm your jeans size.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, gay agenda ILLUMINATI:
  Thievery in the dance tent at the same time as Jack Johnson or Kanye's set would be PERFECT, btw.
Psh. MSTRKRFT would cap off the night perfectly in the dance tent.

They just dropped their new single and theyre doing a festival in NYC near the end of july..... ya never know!
‼‼?‼‼

sonickteam2

« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »
fmom your list, i'll say these are the ones i could actually see being listed (as much as i would like to see JAMC, i just doubt it)

In terms of other bands or artists I still am hoping for maybe...

List of dream bands/artists that would be cool to see somwhere in the line up (in no order in particular): Underworld

Realistically what I would like to see (as in these bands seem more possible than not): Vampire Weekend, QOFSTA or EODM, MGMT,  The Black Keys,  Cat Power, Hot Chip, The Cool Kids or Lupe Fiasco, Spank Rock,  Beach House, Diplo

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, gay agenda ILLUMINATI:

Okay so how does one join this circle? (I try to post on a regular basis on here!)
I'll get you an application to join the posse. To begin, you can start collecting some things you'll need to attach to the appy: a headshot, a copy of your taxes, and a photo to confirm your jeans size. [/b]
Trust me, you do NOT want to get within fifty feet of Julian's "circle."  He's just playing hard to get because he found out you are a female.  If you don't want to hear someone pontificate endlessly about the "genius" of Billy Corgan and/or Hillary Clinton, then stay FAR away from Jules.

However, your list of concerts that you attended last year is pretty good.  Very current.  I'll even forgive you for liking the Cure.  Everyone has a cross to bear.  Everyone has something they should be ashamed of.  Liking the Cure.  That's yours.

Brian

saintangelsin

« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  Trust me, you do NOT want to get within fifty feet of Julian's "circle."  He's just playing hard to get because he found out you are a female.  If you don't want to hear someone pontificate endlessly about the "genius" of Billy Corgan and/or Hillary Clinton, then stay FAR away from Jules.

However, your list of concerts that you attended last year is pretty good.  Very current.  I'll even forgive you for liking the Cure.  Everyone has a cross to bear.  Everyone has something they should be ashamed of.  Liking the Cure.  That's yours.

Brian
Ah so it's because I'm a girl. Figures! I like Billy Corgan and Hillary Clinton, so perhaps Jules and I could get along. But I will take your word for it.

Thank you for liking my list of concerts. It's not that I try to be current. I just love listening to all sorts of stuff and if a band I really like is coming to town, I try to go see them. I really enjoy seeing live music. For me, going out to see bands play at the 9:30 Club or the Black Cat is far better than going to some college party with beer pong. I don't drink really. I'd prefer to rock out I suppose.

I think you're the first hip person to not give me too much flack over a few of the bands I've seen! So Thank you for that. And As for the cure, I didn't know it was more shameful to like them than say Justin Timberlake or Maroon Five. I usually get teased for being such a depeche mode fan so it's actually a nice change to be teased for liking Robert Smith. But anyway, Thank you for forgiving for liking the Cure.

sonickteam2

« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2008, 11:01:00 pm »
she just called Brian Wallace hip.   :p

saintangelsin

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2008, 12:59:00 am »
I figured he's like one of those hipster type kids I work with at wmuc. By the way, I don't know what hip seriously is. I just figure he's some what of a musical elitist. Am I right on that?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2008, 01:47:00 am »
 Chemical Brothers (might as well say them for the dance tent too)
no no no, they have a light show second only to daft punk's.  they belong on a big stage.

Trust me, you do NOT want to get within fifty feet of Julian's "circle."
and trust me, you do not want to trust a single thing that brian wallace says.  he's the board's village idiot.  

and there is no shame in liking the cure.

I just figure he's some what of a musical elitist. Am I right on that?
unfortunately you're not.  wallace has no musical opinion other than "IF IT'S MORE THAN 2 YEARS OLD IT'S AUTOMATICALLY PURE CRAP" (hence his indictment of your appreciation of the cure).  of course he isn't serious about this opinion, it's just a shtick - one that the majority here wishes he'd update with some new material.
<sig>

saintangelsin

« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2008, 03:45:00 am »
About the Chemical Brothers - I didn't realize that they have a crazy light show. I haven't seen them live unfortunately. So if that's the case, then good point. Chemical Brothers would be pretty damn sweet I must admit.

And now about Brian... Thank you sweetcell for the heads up. I figured there was something funny about him. I've seen the jokes around on the board before but just wasn't sure what the humor was exactly.

And believe me, I know there's no shame in liking the Cure. I was just being sarcastic. Really I wanted to go off about that, but that would've been unnecessary and a total waste of my time. He's not worth ranting at since this whole "i hate old music" thing is just a gimmick.

So should I get in Julian's circle? (just kidding)

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2008, 08:00:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  and trust me, you do not want to trust a single thing that brian wallace says.  he's the board's village idiot.  

unfortunately you're not.  wallace has no musical opinion other than "IF IT'S MORE THAN 2 YEARS OLD IT'S AUTOMATICALLY PURE CRAP" (hence his indictment of your appreciation of the cure).  of course he isn't serious about this opinion, it's just a shtick - one that the majority here wishes he'd update with some new material.
Originally posted by manimtired:
  brian wallace cannot be a real person. he just cant. no way.
I don't get that.  I'm dead serious about my opinions.  What makes you think this is all a "schtick?"  I honestly believe blind nostalgia for Bruce Springsteen, The Beatles, The Cure, etc. kills popular music and killed the music industry.  You're all sheep to believe there is some sort of "alternative music canon."  Keep it up.  Or you'll wind up with a V-fest line-up that's a magical time warp to the wonderful world of 1996!  I can't help it if I live in 2008.

They want to listen to Flo Rida on their cell phones.  Not Lou f'ing Reed.

Brian

Cali

« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2008, 10:43:00 am »
b/c how can one person have soo much hate and disregard for the past. it just cant be real.

and what's wrong with '96? btw, i dont want to listen to flo rida or reed on my cell.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »
 I honestly believe blind nostalgia for Bruce Springsteen, The Beatles, The Cure, etc. kills popular music and killed the music industry.
and if that was the message you got across, brian, i could respect that.  but you don't take issue with people who worship only nostalgia - you go off everytime somebody mentions anything not made by an angry 19-year-old.  it's as if anyone over 40 couldn't possibly produce good music.  that's a blindness far worse than nostalgia worship.  your logic that anyone who had a hit 10 years ago must automatically be unable to write good music today is faulty and prejudiced.

Speaking of Radiohead, in the new issue of Q (with a gold-painted Michael Stipe (?) and the rest of R.E.M. on the cover continuing their hopeless campaign of "Yeah, we know we sucked the last ten years but we've made a GOOD ALBUM this time.
a case in point: the new REM album is indeed good, and i think that you realize this.  had some unknown mascara-wearing snots produced the same album, you'd be hyping it.  but because of who the band is - or, more precisely, was - you can't enjoy it.  

you say everyone else is a prisoner of nostalgia, yet REM's track record (i.e. the fact that they have one) colors your judgement.  newsflash: we're not prisoners of the past, brian.  you are.
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »
and yet, you people still let him ruin every last thread with his nonsense.  he has nothing to say about Vfest, so ignore people, please.

sheesh.

so were Sharon jones and the Dap Kings confirmed too?: or was that a dream?  if not we have 7 or 8 bands now, right?

bearman🐻

« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »

your logic that anyone who had a hit 10 years ago must automatically be unable to write good music today is faulty and prejudiced.
We all know he's a douche anyway...people like him just fill a quota for the board of trendy folks who think they're hip but instead are ignorant of what was made before they were 10 years old. They trash older people with different tastes simply because he doesn't value or identify with the things that came before him. He's like the rambunctious puppy who can't stop humping your leg. After a while he'll get housetrained, go to obedience school and then go find a chew toy to pleasure him in his older age.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »
  a case in point: the new REM album is indeed good,
No, it's not but...

mascara-wearing snots
Do you yell at kids to get off your lawn, too?

but because of who the band is - or, more precisely, was - you can't enjoy it.  

That's the important part about R.E.M.  "was."  Past tense.

you say everyone else is a prisoner of nostalgia, yet REM's track record (i.e. the fact that they have one) colors your judgement.  newsflash: we're not prisoners of the past, brian.  you are.
1.)  Your argument makes no sense.  Their "track record colors my judgement?"  WTF?  Thank you pimply, Pitchfork critic.  Thank God you weren't on a debate team or anything.  You'd suck.

2.)  I've finally heard "Accelerate" and it really, really sucks hard.  If the best they can do after a dozen albums is "Living Well is the Best Revenge" then I feel sorry for them.  Enjoy the snoozer at Merriweather.  The Rolling Stones aged more gracefully than R.E.M.  It's just all "look! we have a guitarist in the band!"  Just pathetic.  The Raconteurs album is a billion times better.  So is the Panic At The Disco one.  Oh, and the Fall Out Boy live album is a LOT of fun.  John Mayer and FOB doing "Beat It?"  Choice.

Brian