Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258275 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2015, 03:16:37 pm »
Also caught Paranormal Activity 2. The first one scared me pretty good, they did a great job building the tension and intensity of the film. Part 2 goes for a lot more cheap scares that come off as corny and trying to recapture what made the original so great. The eeriest parts are just the single angle shots of nothing happening and the tension building for what seems like minutes for a chilling reveal. I wasn't interested enough to catch the 3rd one.

I HIGHLY suggest VHS and VHS 2. Still haven't watched VHS Viral yet. VHS are awesome horror movies. Super crazy, super intense, insanely creepy, and some bits are truly violent.
‼‼?‼‼

K8teebug

« Reply #226 on: November 03, 2015, 09:50:54 am »
K8t, you mentioned, on this very page!, two movies that I need to get around to watching: Rosemary's Baby and Babadook. I've heard Babadook is difficult/un-fun to watch if you're a parent. I can't stand kids-in-peril movies, and this did affect me while watching Poltergeist but I knew no one dies so I wasn't that bent outta shape about it.

Oh yeah, also watched It Follows a week or so ago. A lotta hype for a perfectly fine horror movie that I'll never think about again. Interesting concept though.

Just downloaded Bone Tomahawk, a horror-western, and am looking forward to checking that out this week.

oooh! Didn't know you could download Bone Tomahawk! Legally? Really excited for that.

Babadook maybe would be tough if you're a parent? I felt really badly for the mom. But, it was good.

Rosemary's Baby was definitely the hit of the season. Just awesome. Need to get to the other 2 in the trilogy.

Relaxer

« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2015, 09:58:03 am »
Didn't know you could download Bone Tomahawk! Legally?

"Legal" is a funny word, isn't it? I mean, what really is the law? Who are we? What is all this? Where the hell is my wallet?
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2015, 10:50:51 am »
You can rent it from amazon. That's legal enough for me.

Space Freely

« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2015, 10:55:20 am »
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

That one really sucker punches you in the gut.

« Reply #230 on: November 04, 2015, 12:04:37 pm »
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

That one really sucker punches you in the gut.
really liked that one too

I expect we'll see a lot more of Olivia Cooke and Thomas Mann in the future
also think Alfonso Gomez-Rejon will have a bright future too
slack

dyecraig

« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2015, 11:36:28 pm »
roadie (2011)
fired B.O.C. roadie returns home to queens, ny.
hallmark movie love triangle drama ensues.
slight, but enjoyable for boardies.
bobby cannavale typical hothead role.
peppi from good rats cameo (r.i.p.).

Space Freely

« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2015, 10:00:54 am »
Cop Car

I will never again fantasize about stealing a police car and going for a joyride in it.

« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2015, 12:27:57 am »
director Richard Linklater returns with its "spiritual sequel,everybody wants some
slack

walk,on,by

« Reply #234 on: December 23, 2015, 06:23:14 pm »
director Richard Linklater returns with its "spiritual sequel,everybody wants some

bad link.  way to go.  you ruined . . . Christmas.

killsaly

« Reply #235 on: December 24, 2015, 02:04:59 pm »
Hateful Eight!  I am thinking about going to see it tomorrow.  Merry Christmas indeed!!!!

and in 70mm.  Quentin thinks that is important, so ok!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #236 on: December 28, 2015, 11:33:19 am »
Hateful Eight!  I am thinking about going to see it tomorrow.  Merry Christmas indeed!!!!

I went to Raleigh to see this on Boxing Day. I'm not a Tarantino guy but bought into the 70mm hype. An interesting experience. Hyper-violent.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #237 on: December 28, 2015, 12:29:26 pm »

I went to Raleigh to see this on Boxing Day. I'm not a Tarantino guy but bought into the 70mm hype. An interesting experience. Hyper-violent.
Was underwhelmed. Probably my least favorite of all of his films. Not sure why it rubbed me the wrong way. I thought some parts were great and it didn't really drag [considering it's almost 3 hour run time], and I thought it was a fun "who-done-it", but it just lacked something for me. Maybe he set up the whole "I can't trust anyone in this movie" and didn't have a character to get behind and then the movie kind of just ends. Not sure. It also was probably his least violent film.

I know after this I can't wait for him to come back to tell a story in modern times.
‼‼?‼‼

killsaly

« Reply #238 on: December 28, 2015, 12:30:01 pm »
I ended up not going.  :-[

I might still try to catch it in the theater before it leaves...

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #239 on: December 28, 2015, 12:35:31 pm »
I watched the leaked version that came out  on Christmas Eve. I was dying to see it in theaters but I just couldn't resist seeing it immediately for free.
‼‼?‼‼