Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 260580 times)

BrettnotBritt

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #1050 on: January 18, 2023, 04:33:08 pm »
Pearl - Mia Goth deserves an Oscar nod for her performance. It's a prequel to X (which is currently streaming on Showtime). While X is a great straight-up slasher film, Pearl is more psychological thriller but they're both great flicks.

Goth's 9-minute monologue alone makes her worthy of a nomination. While i love a good slasher flick and X delivers, Pearl is a superior technicolor nightmare. Can't wait for Maxxxine, which Goth just claimed has the best script of the trilogy.

Yep, I was glued to the screen the entire time she delivered that. Just a masterclass in acting. Between that and the final scene she really deserves some recognition!

Space Freely

« Reply #1051 on: January 18, 2023, 05:06:43 pm »
Pearl - Mia Goth deserves an Oscar nod for her performance. It's a prequel to X (which is currently streaming on Showtime). While X is a great straight-up slasher film, Pearl is more psychological thriller but they're both great flicks.

Goth's 9-minute monologue alone makes her worthy of a nomination. While i love a good slasher flick and X delivers, Pearl is a superior technicolor nightmare. Can't wait for Maxxxine, which Goth just claimed has the best script of the trilogy.

Yep, I was glued to the screen the entire time she delivered that. Just a masterclass in acting. Between that and the final scene she really deserves some recognition!

Pearl was one of my favorite movies of the year. It may have been the only one I watched twice.

« Reply #1052 on: January 18, 2023, 05:09:16 pm »
Pearl was one of my favorite movies of the year. It may have been the only one I watched twice.
I just watched the trailer and am already having nightmares
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1053 on: January 18, 2023, 05:12:35 pm »
I just watched the trailer and am already having nightmares

I generally dislike slasher/horror films (didn't like X at all), but Pearl was genuinely great, imo (probably because it wasn't a slasher film.)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1054 on: January 18, 2023, 11:12:56 pm »

Whoa.

Space Freely

« Reply #1055 on: February 07, 2023, 03:10:01 pm »
Streaming on Netflix now, it's excellent.

Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song

Space Freely

« Reply #1056 on: February 24, 2023, 09:45:42 am »
Being cheap means you don't pay $15 a pop to see a movie in the theater, because your movie dollars are already going to five different streaming services and a two DVD at a time Netflix subscription (yes, it still exists, there are numerous (but dwindling) new releases that come out on DVD that don't come out on my five streaming services.)

Having a kid means never seeing Oscar nominated movies or any top notch foreign or indie films at the theater. Because why pay $45 for a movie when you're going to see it on a streaming service or Netflix DVD. Instead, it means paying $15 a pop to see Cocaine Bear on opening weekend. Sigh.

« Reply #1057 on: February 24, 2023, 10:16:27 am »
I've seen very few movies in the theaters in the last decade, but i will say it's a much different experience and sometimes well worth it

Comedy and horror are really great to see in theaters, as the crowd is a part of the experience

Scifi/nature docs also can be amazing in theaters

I've never done any of those 'live concert' experiences, but every time I've watched any concert on TV, it's been so lame and nothing like a live show.  But could see those one-day-only live ones could be cool

When my kids go to the theater, I also have to budget $25 for a snack and drink...that always stings
And now they sell beer at lots of theaters, so I'm like I'll get one or two.  Next thing you know it cost over $100 for the 4 of us to see a movie
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1058 on: February 24, 2023, 10:30:30 am »
Yeah ,I hear ya on the in person aspect.

I'd just rather buget my entertainment dollar toward live shows and crafy beer than the mall cineplex.

My wife and daughter sometimes sneak snacks into the movie, but sometimes buy the crap popcorn. Me, I feel no need to eat anything. And beer at the movie would just make me have to pee during the movie.

GAY,GUY

« Reply #1059 on: February 24, 2023, 10:33:24 am »
Wakanda Forever, was the biggest pile of Marvel shit I have ever seen. The worst. Wow. Were people just pretending to like it because of the death? Even the way they killed him off in the beginning was bullshit.

Boo, this movie.

Space Freely

« Reply #1060 on: February 24, 2023, 11:05:37 am »
Wakanda Forever, was the biggest pile of Marvel shit I have ever seen. The worst. Wow. Were people just pretending to like it because of the death? Even the way they killed him off in the beginning was bullshit.

Boo, this movie.

I assume we were supposed to like it because black people.

Note: I didn't see it, though I like black people. At least as much as I do any other people.

« Reply #1061 on: February 24, 2023, 11:15:59 am »
#alllikesmatter
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1062 on: February 24, 2023, 04:11:31 pm »
This made me LOL more than once

Brent Terhune in Des Moines April 7 & 8
@BrentTerhune
If bears actually did cocaine

https://twitter.com/BrentTerhune/status/1629134093353877508?s=20
T.Rex

« Reply #1063 on: February 24, 2023, 06:12:06 pm »
oh that is so good
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1064 on: February 24, 2023, 07:17:42 pm »
This is one of the best Best International Feature races in a while. EO and Close are spectacular.

All Quiet In The Western Front was pretty good too and (sadly) will likely win.

Argentina 1985 bored me to tears, no shade at Hutch intended. 
LVMH