Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258281 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #1080 on: June 06, 2023, 10:31:20 pm »
Reality
Streaming on Max.
Wouldn't be surprised if this picked up a nomination or two.
Just watched this. I thought it was merely ok. Halfway through I said “this feels like it would be better as a play than a movie.” Then three-quarters of the way through I wikipediaed it because it was losing my attention and, lo, and behold, it’s an adaptation of a play.
LVMH

« Reply #1081 on: June 07, 2023, 09:15:01 am »
blackberry
I really want to see this. Like four people have told me Glenn Howerton's performance is incredible.
LVMH

« Reply #1082 on: June 07, 2023, 12:24:58 pm »
blackberry
I really want to see this. Like four people have told me Glenn Howerton's performance is incredible.
Spoiler alert, apple wins the smartphone game
slack

« Reply #1083 on: June 07, 2023, 01:05:00 pm »
blackberry
Spoiler alert, apple wins the smartphone game
FUCK! Now the only mystery left is whether Balsillie gets to buy the Nashville Predators and move them to Ontario!
LVMH

« Reply #1084 on: August 31, 2023, 10:23:20 am »
Has anyone seen this....looks amazing and has the real deal people who were still alive in 2017
Rudeboy: The Story of Trojan Records

on a related note, this came out in 2002 and looks good
Soul Jazz Records Presents Studio One Story

but just isn't available except for the archive or shitty youtube

Studio One Story is a truly unique documentary in which the Clement Dodd gave unprecedented personal access to tell the previously untold story of how he and the many artists and musicians at Studio One literally shaped the rise of Reggae music from the 1950s onwards through to the late 1970s.

The 4 hour documentary (including over an hour of extras) was filmed on location in Kingston, Jamaica and features interviews with Horace Andy, Alton Ellis, Ken Boothe, Sugar Minott, Denis Alcapone, The Ethiopians, Sylvan Morris, Johnny Moore, Lone Ranger, King Stitt and many others. The DVD also includes rare footage of The Skatalites, Jackie Mittoo, Count Ossie, Marcia Griffiths and others.

Talk about rabbit hole...saw a post where Paul McArtney was talking about being in Jamacia 1971 and how his wife had turned him on to "tighten up" ...first thought was ..that's Archie Bell and the Drells...and we're from Huston texas
but found out Tighen Up was a great series of albums put out by Trojan and how most of the skinheads got turned on to the music
What's crazy as AB & the Ds Tighen up is...they recorded it, released it and Archie bell got drafted to go to veitnam before it became a hit
served his time and came back, but by that time the thrill was gone and they couldn't get that spark back

also TSU Toronados were the backing band...sadly creating some of the earliest Funk groves receviced no credit at the time
It was in this capacity that the group backed some studio sessions by a vocal group from Houston called Archie Bell & the Drells. Bell and his partner Billy Butler set lyrics to a funky riff the Toronados had been playing on their club dates, and the result was "Tighten Up," a number one smash in 1968. Unfortunately, none of the Toronados received writer's credit
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:40:21 am by hanky/lanky-Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #1085 on: September 27, 2023, 09:18:16 am »
Sex Pistols Documentary in Works Based on Memoir by Founding Member Glen Matlock

been meaning to read this as I hear it's pretty good, quite enjoyed lydon and jones books

he is on every track but one on NMTBHTSP, but sid seems to get all the credit for just showing up at the end and making a spectacle
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 09:20:01 am by hanky/lanky-Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #1086 on: November 28, 2023, 10:37:32 am »
Spinal Tap sequel
Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer are set to return as the members of Spinal Tap, alongside Reiner as the documentarian Martin "Marty" Di Bergi. The sequel is said to mimic the style of Martin Scorsese's "The Last Waltz," the legendary concert film
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1087 on: November 28, 2023, 11:44:41 am »
No Hard Feelings on Netflix was a lot of fun.

Yada

« Reply #1088 on: November 28, 2023, 12:15:10 pm »
As usual, the only time I get to see movies are typically on a flight.

As a huge fan of Wes Anderson, I was incredibly bummed that I couldn't even get through 30 minutes of "Asteroid City."

Utterly terrible.

« Reply #1089 on: November 28, 2023, 12:41:24 pm »

As a huge fan of Wes Anderson, I was incredibly bummed that I couldn't even get through 30 minutes of "Asteroid City."

Utterly terrible.
So I haven't seen it, but WA movies are not ordinary movies
I don't think can translate well is to a small screen on an airplane
His movies are very cinematic and spend lots of time slowly moving through an expansive environment
slack

Yada

« Reply #1090 on: November 28, 2023, 12:59:39 pm »

Utterly terrible.
His movies are very cinematic and spend lots of time slowly moving through an expansive environment

I'm aware... however, I don't think this movie would be good even at The Sphere.

Hutch

« Reply #1091 on: November 28, 2023, 01:07:31 pm »

Utterly terrible.

I saw it.
It definitely underwhelmed me but I hace just accepted I really like his style so I enjoyed it very much while I watch…

It was a bit strange and seemed to be a story within a story…didn’t leave me with much as is usual with his movies…

I just love Wes Anderson. It’s like his own universe of moviemaking. Watching his films is like eating cotton candy.

One of the last great old school Directors. Such an identity.

« Reply #1092 on: November 28, 2023, 02:28:34 pm »
I’m a long time Wes Anderson fan but I gotta say his last two films lost me a bit. I do think the “story within a story” element of their plots is part of it.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1093 on: November 28, 2023, 02:56:26 pm »
I’m a long time Wes Anderson fan but I gotta say his last two films lost me a bit. I do think the “story within a story” element of their plots is part of it.

Does anybody like that kind of plot element?

« Reply #1094 on: November 28, 2023, 05:19:56 pm »

Does anybody like that kind of plot element?
I think a framed narrative, on its own, is not a problem. That exists in many great movies. The fact that they kept pulling us out of it so dramatically for an ever expanding cast of characters we don't have any reason to care about is the problem.

For example, take Forest Gump, a movie that did not deserve a bunch of Oscars but is not "bad". The story within a story still involves the same people. Played by the same actors, for the most part. It did not feel like a shoehorned thing; it seemed like a way to start the narrative "in the middle" which is somewhat interesting.

Or Princess Bride or Neverending Story from when we were kids. The world (within the film) where the character is encountering the "story" is such a small part of the film and feels diegetic.

Wes Anderson's most recent two do neither of those things. In French Dispatch, it just seems like a way to take 3 short films and call them one conclusive whole. We do not care about anyone who works at that publication. There are no stakes. We are not given enough time with them to understand why we should care about them. The plot purpose they serve is a bunch of WA's favorites getting to hang out on set. Very similar in Asteroid City. I cannot understand any reason to tell these stories this way other than "shorts don't sell tickets" and "I want to hang out with my friends and get a paycheck."
LVMH