Author Topic: Even More Crappy Lists From Music Magazines  (Read 21974 times)

PR_GMR

Re: Even More Crappy Lists From Music Magazines
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2003, 06:31:00 pm »
posted by ggw

I never realized that I lived in a malaise in the '90s and that technology and globalization had made me apathetic.

Maybe I need to listen to OK Computer more.
That's because you don't belong to our generation, ggw. You're from another planet. But even so.. Radiohead wrote a song about you. It's called 'Subterranean Homesick Alien'.... Of course, it's on 'OK Computer'.    :p

mankie

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2003, 06:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by PR_GMR:

And why do you refer to your home country as 'that rainy island'? Man, you don't even like where you come from?! At least be proud of your origin.    :p  [/b]
HUH! Why is that a negative statement? It's a fact...and you'll find many people enjoy walking in the rain like they do on beaches.

Just think how miserable the music world would be without our rainy island, We'd all be here discussing wether Kiss or Aerosmith are the better band.

bearman🐻

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2003, 06:43:00 pm »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but I would say you have to have balls of brass to insult Joy Division and the Velvet Underground. You're entitled to your opinion, but I just disagree and here is why. Personally, I think Ian Curtis' voice was perfectly suited for Joy Division. On the live JD songs that Bernard Sumner sings on, he does an adequate job, but Ian Curtis was perfect for stuff like "Atmosphere" and "Transmission".  And Lou Reed? Come on now. The whole point of "alternative" rock is that people like Iggy Pop and Reed COULDN'T sing...but somehow what they lacked in their voice they made up for in passion, honesty, and their delivery. And hell...the fact of the matter is that they CAN sing, but they march to the beat of a different drum. Who needs another Jim Morrison? Gimme Iggy. Who needs another Roger Daltrey? Gimme Lou.  That, in my opinion, is what makes a great band...nobody cares how polished the Velvets or Joy Division were. They were there because they believed...they were being honest.  If they stumble upon a huge audience that loves them, then great. But I always admired Lou and Ian for the fact that they got up there, did their thing, and wrote some amazing music. They laid groundwork in their music that was imitated again and again. But that's just my opinion, not that it counts for anything.

PR_GMR

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2003, 06:43:00 pm »
posted by mankie

Just think how miserable the music world would be without our rainy island, We'd all be here discussing wether Kiss or Aerosmith are the better band.
Good point. And I agree. Just seemed that you were knocking down your own birthplace.. but glad that you cleared up the point.   :cool:

SPARX

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2003, 06:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but I would say you have to have balls of brass to insult Joy Division and the Velvet Underground. You're entitled to your opinion, but I just disagree and here is why. Personally, I think Ian Curtis' voice was perfectly suited for Joy Division. On the live JD songs that Bernard Sumner sings on, he does an adequate job, but Ian Curtis was perfect for stuff like "Atmosphere" and "Transmission".  And Lou Reed? Come on now. The whole point of "alternative" rock is that people like Iggy Pop and Reed COULDN'T sing...but somehow what they lacked in their voice they made up for in passion, honesty, and their delivery. And hell...the fact of the matter is that they CAN sing, but they march to the beat of a different drum. Who needs another Jim Morrison? Gimme Iggy. Who needs another Roger Daltrey? Gimme Lou.  That, in my opinion, is what makes a great band...nobody cares how polished the Velvets or Joy Division were. They were there because they believed...they were being honest.  If they stumble upon a huge audience that loves them, then great. But I always admired Lou and Ian for the fact that they got up there, did their thing, and wrote some amazing music. They laid groundwork in their music that was imitated again and again. But that's just my opinion, not that it counts for anything.
Well said Bunnyman,and I agree wholeheartedly.You saved me alot of typing,thanks!Lou and Ian were both fantastic songwriters who's outlook and perceptions  connected with alot of people.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2003, 06:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by PR_GMR:

And why do you refer to your home country as 'that rainy island'? Man, you don't even like where you come from?! At least be proud of your origin.     :p   [/b]
HUH! Why is that a negative statement? It's a fact...and you'll find many people enjoy walking in the rain like they do on beaches.

Just think how miserable the music world would be without our rainy island, We'd all be here discussing wether Kiss or Aerosmith are the better band. [/b]
kiss by a mile!!
o/\o

Celeste

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2003, 06:53:00 pm »
  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but I would say you have to have balls of brass to insult Joy Division and the Velvet Underground...But that's just my opinion, not that it counts for anything.
I don't have balls at all and I did "insult" them, though I wouldn't bother doing so on this board.

We should all make a pact that we won't say "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" or "that's just my opinion"...I understand this may be a way of not starting fights or whatever, but we should all know this...the vast majority of what is expressed here is opinion and doesn't count for anything...

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2003, 06:55:00 pm »
 ...all be here discussing wether Kiss or Aerosmith are the better band.
AC/DC !

Celeste

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2003, 06:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:

...all be here discussing wether Kiss or Aerosmith are the better band.
AC/DC ! [/b]
from a less rainy island

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2003, 06:58:00 pm »
The whole point of alternative rock is that the singers can't sing? I always thought "alternative rock" was a phrase coined in the mid-80's to describe bands that existed outside the mainstream, primarily on indie labels. Didn't realize that not being able to sing was a qualifier.

I don't see how anybody who isn't fucked up on drugs could sit and listen to the monotone voices of Lou Reed and Ian Curtis and hear "passion" in their voices. Give me a fucking break.

mankie

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2003, 07:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB]
   I don't see how anybody who isn't fucked up on drugs could sit and listen to the monotone voices of Lou Reed and Ian Curtis and hear "passion" in their voices. Give me a fucking break.

...I listened to the penis brothers..not exactly the three tenors now. Wilco...fucking awful voice.

Give me a weak voice singing a great song over a great voice singing a shit song any day.

Celeste

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2003, 07:05:00 pm »

...I listened to the penis brothers..not exactly the three tenors now. Wilco...fucking awful voice.

Give me a weak voice singing a great song over a great voice singing a shit song any day. [/b]
what the hell? Joe Pernice sounds a bit like Morissey...and Jeff Tweedy at least carries a melody...you've just listed two examples of groups in which the singer's voice is melodic and pleasant AND the songs are solid...

SPARX

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2003, 07:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  The whole point of alternative rock is that the singers can't sing? I always thought "alternative rock" was a phrase coined in the mid-80's to describe bands that existed outside the mainstream, primarily on indie labels. Didn't realize that not being able to sing was a qualifier.

[
[/QB][/QUOTE]                                                                                             You are correct in the use of the term alternative.Although i think what he meant(correct me if i'm wrong)was that a great vocal range was not required for the type of music being played by them.It was more important to get the "message" of the song to listeners rather than showing off how many octaves could be reached.In Lou and Ian's  case it is almost spoken word rather than singing.They both could see the plight of their fellow man and relayed it to a generation of likeminded souls.

Celeste

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2003, 07:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:
 It was more important to get the "message" of the song to listeners rather than showing off how many octaves could be reached
and that "message" would be...I'm a fuck-up who can't sing but the scenesters love me anyway because they buy into my rock and roll image?

there is a nice middle ground between having an outright unpleasant voice and being a cheesy diva...

now, don't even get me started on the musicianship

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2003, 07:09:00 pm »
ok, y'all school me...give me some inspirational lyrics my Mr. Curtis and/or Mr Reed. Everything I've heard by Reed is depressing shit about drugs, trannies, and hookers. Not exactly stuff I want to sit around an pollute my mind with. But maybe I'm missing some more interesting stuff? Mr. Curtis...you can't hear what the fuck he is singing anyway.