Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10597968 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #25665 on: March 09, 2012, 11:35:33 am »
Same night as Chuck Berry at The Howard, so I'm out.  Sorry but I'll have to bow to a rock and roll legend over some halfway decent contemporary acts.

Commence hater-isms

Chuck Berry is a must see; the most important person in the history of rock and roll. I love Cub Koda's essay at the All Music Guide so I'll repost the first paragraph here...

Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers. Quite simply, without him there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, nor a myriad others. There would be no standard "Chuck Berry guitar intro," the instrument's clarion call to get the joint rockin' in any setting. The clippety-clop rhythms of rockabilly would not have been mainstreamed into the now standard 4/4 rock & roll beat. There would be no obsessive wordplay by modern-day tunesmiths; in fact, the whole history (and artistic level) of rock & roll songwriting would have been much poorer without him. Like Brian Wilson said, he wrote "all of the great songs and came up with all the rock & roll beats." Those who do not claim him as a seminal influence or profess a liking for his music and showmanship show their ignorance of rock's development as well as his place as the music's first great creator. Elvis may have fueled rock & roll's imagery, but Chuck Berry was its heartbeat and original mindset.

He played virgin fest a few years back or so people say.  I watched 20 minutes of his set and it was some japanesse beatles cover band.  His set time was only an hour.  So how long did chuck play 15 minutes?

don't know how long he played .. my friend filmed it so i watched some of it.. seth comes out and plays the drums on a song or two with chuck berry! go seth!

the japanese band you speak of was the silver beats... a japanese beatles cover band.. one of my favorite shows was when they played the 930 club.... excellent stuff... unfortunately they broke up a while back

wml7

« Reply #25666 on: March 09, 2012, 11:41:39 am »
Yes, I was at that Vfest with Sethy and Chucky Berry
Pretty good showing
 ;D

atomicfront

« Reply #25667 on: March 09, 2012, 11:48:04 am »
I got tickets to polyphonic spree.  I am amazed they didn't sell out instantly as that place is small. 

killsaly

« Reply #25668 on: March 09, 2012, 12:11:15 pm »
I dont think they are that popular at the moment.  Its been a few years since they have had an album out or toured.  I am going to guess that tickets will be available for at least a week, if not longer.

28 April
Ceremony, Tone, and the Orchid
Velvet Lounge

Vas Deferens

« Reply #25669 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:11 pm »
is this the shoegaze Ceremony?

I dont think they are that popular at the moment.  Its been a few years since they have had an album out or toured.  I am going to guess that tickets will be available for at least a week, if not longer.

28 April
Ceremony, Tone, and the Orchid
Velvet Lounge

(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #25670 on: March 09, 2012, 01:04:02 pm »
Yeah. The punk Ceremony are in DC on the 22nd.
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #25671 on: March 09, 2012, 01:17:13 pm »
Yes, the shoegaze and MOST AWESOME, Ceremony. Of course they are the one true Ceremony.

May 4
Lower Dens and Violens - Rock & Roll Hotel
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:45:37 pm by killsaly »

azaghal1981

« Reply #25672 on: March 09, 2012, 01:26:18 pm »
Wait. That Ceremony is on Matador, too? That is funny.
I think the punk Ceremony are also on Matador.
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #25673 on: March 09, 2012, 01:45:22 pm »
Oops... I think that is the only Ceremony on Matador (punk one).  I should have read the article I saw a while back a little closer... I thought that was a weird label to pick up the shoegazers.  How is it possible for two US bands to have the exact same name, some measure of fame (I dont know the punk guys, but being signed to Matador and mentioned in Spin seems like they are doing ok) and dont have to change their name? Heck, shoegaze band Whirr used to be called Whirl until a name dispute... For months I have been thinking the shoegaze band were getting some label love, should have known better.

I edited the incorrect info out of my above post.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #25674 on: March 09, 2012, 01:55:49 pm »
Yeah the shoegaze Ceremony > the Matador Ceremony
(_|_)

travelinbeat

« Reply #25675 on: March 09, 2012, 02:18:37 pm »
Same night as Chuck Berry at The Howard, so I'm out.  Sorry but I'll have to bow to a rock and roll legend over some halfway decent contemporary acts.

Commence hater-isms

Chuck Berry is a must see; the most important person in the history of rock and roll. I love Cub Koda's essay at the All Music Guide so I'll repost the first paragraph here...

Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers. Quite simply, without him there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, nor a myriad others. There would be no standard "Chuck Berry guitar intro," the instrument's clarion call to get the joint rockin' in any setting. The clippety-clop rhythms of rockabilly would not have been mainstreamed into the now standard 4/4 rock & roll beat. There would be no obsessive wordplay by modern-day tunesmiths; in fact, the whole history (and artistic level) of rock & roll songwriting would have been much poorer without him. Like Brian Wilson said, he wrote "all of the great songs and came up with all the rock & roll beats." Those who do not claim him as a seminal influence or profess a liking for his music and showmanship show their ignorance of rock's development as well as his place as the music's first great creator. Elvis may have fueled rock & roll's imagery, but Chuck Berry was its heartbeat and original mindset.

He played virgin fest a few years back or so people say.  I watched 20 minutes of his set and it was some japanesse beatles cover band.  His set time was only an hour.  So how long did chuck play 15 minutes?

don't know how long he played .. my friend filmed it so i watched some of it.. seth comes out and plays the drums on a song or two with chuck berry! go seth!

the japanese band you speak of was the silver beats... a japanese beatles cover band.. one of my favorite shows was when they played the 930 club.... excellent stuff... unfortunately they broke up a while back

Chuck Berry played a 40 min set at Virgin Fest on Aug 9, 2008

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25676 on: March 09, 2012, 02:22:08 pm »
JUST ANNOUNCED! 2nd SHOW!
Friday April 27 - TED LEO AND THE PHARMACISTS
$15 Mainstage / Doors at 9:00

tix on sale now @ ticketlaternative
<sig>

reggie

« Reply #25677 on: March 09, 2012, 02:53:29 pm »
JUST ANNOUNCED! 2nd SHOW!
Friday April 27 - TED LEO AND THE PHARMACISTS
$15 Mainstage / Doors at 9:00

tix on sale now @ ticketlaternative

first they announce the sunday night gig (and i buy tickets) and then they announce a friday night gig? shitty.

manayer

« Reply #25678 on: March 09, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »
seems some black keys tickets were released.  just pulled two up in section 120.

Yada

« Reply #25679 on: March 09, 2012, 04:52:05 pm »
seems some black keys tickets were released.  just pulled two up in section 120.

They've been available all day.

Can't wait to score a pair for about $40 in front of the verizon center this evening.