Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1761322 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #3255 on: September 29, 2011, 12:36:19 pm »
I think it should be turned back into a great movie theater, with occasional shows...what a home run that would be

Do it, Seth! Do it!  ;D

That would be ideal and add yet more variety to what you have to offer. I was thinking even adding a few live theater performances as they come around. More of an off off Broadway type with either a hipster and/or an historical edge. Kind of a mini Kennedy Center for the common folk and less mainstream performers. Maybe even host a few speakers.

Congratulations Seth, on your new baby.  :D

Oh, btw... I would bet that that fool is just some FSS investor who is pissed off because the 930 Club is still blowing away their new silver spoon feed baby Huey. Just because they built it doesn't mean that they will come. You, of all people, well know it takes much, much more than that.... without the payoffs.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:45:35 pm by Jaguar »

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3256 on: September 29, 2011, 07:00:22 pm »
from CityPaper blog:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/housingcomplex/2011/09/27/do-rock-clubs-have-to-be-daytime-blights/

man, this dude hurt from my feelings...

"The 9:30 club is a dump, both inside and out.
Hurwitz should be ashamed of himself, foistering this grungy dump on music-hungry fans.
I have been to rock clubs in several cities, and some of them are very well maintained and offer fan amenities that Seth should have invested in long ago. So I welcome venues such as Birchmere and the new Fillmore in Silver Spring. I know where I will spend my money."

I have no idea in hell what he is basing his opinion on but I find that what you get out a club (or any other business) is what you go in there looking for.  I have been going to the 930 since the days of henry rollins with mother superior.  I have ALWAYS been treated like I was a guest and one that was very welcome to be there.  When it was one of my first shows and I was using my digital camera on video mode (not knowing the rules back then), Josh came up to me and told me I needed to give up the camera and pick it up on the way out.  Even in that situation I was treated well and not made to feel like I was fucking up and better be careful.  I have been to venues from Cleveland to Ft Lauderdale and many places between.  No other club is run like the 930 club and I would pick it as my venue of choice ANY time.  Lastly, when I brought my dad to a show back a while ago, Josh, Jennifer, Justin, and the rest of the staph treated him like he was a patron from the day one of the club.  They made that night an extremely memorable one for me as it was the beginning of me dad and me starting to rebuild our relationship.  So thanks to all of you at the club.  Thanks Seth for having a place where this can happen.  Thanks Josh for running the 'security' the way you do.  Thanks to Jennifer, Justin and all of the rest of you for making my dad feel like he was part of the 930 family.  This is why Kim and I drive up there from Richmond to see shows.  You treat us very well (even when Kim does start bar fights)!
FUKIT

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3257 on: September 29, 2011, 07:05:00 pm »
people who write have opinions . . . like on here.  the end.

eltee

« Reply #3258 on: September 29, 2011, 07:25:51 pm »
I think it should be turned back into a great movie theater, with occasional shows...what a home run that would be
That would be ideal and add yet more variety to what you have to offer. I was thinking even adding a few live theater performances as they come around. More of an off off Broadway type with either a hipster and/or an historical edge. Kind of a mini Kennedy Center for the common folk and less mainstream performers. Maybe even host a few speakers.

I was thinking this too..a different market...book talks or something...Like when Josh Ritter came through played some songs and read from his book...Or John Waters' Christmas, etc. Lord knows we are limited with book stores now for in-stores
Music documentaries...give AFI a run and be a part of FilmFest...
Oh and hang some artwork for sale (local or nat'l or musicians - many are also artists). Nat'l Geographic had musicians who take photos talk cost some $ too..okay, I'm stretching the ideas, but that one was a part of my coffee shop by day idea...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:28:05 pm by Nomeimporta »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #3259 on: September 29, 2011, 08:18:24 pm »
^ You and I are of the very same mind.  ;) ;D

I'd even like to see a ballet in there. A punk rock ballet would be really cool. Of course, it's up to some dance troupe to get that all together. Then Seth would host and promote the show.

Being in DC, book talks should do well. Sort of a low end and more open minded National Press Club sort of thing.

Also think that they could partner with Howard University for some good ethnic African American artsy things.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3260 on: September 30, 2011, 09:45:17 am »
Oh, btw... I would bet that that fool is just some FSS investor who is pissed off because the 930 Club is still blowing away their new silver spoon feed baby Huey. Just because they built it doesn't mean that they will come.

What makes you think people aren't going to FSS?

azaghal1981

« Reply #3261 on: September 30, 2011, 10:29:47 am »
You need a freezer and/or a fryer.

I've been to the club and have had cravings for fries and/or ice cream countless times.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3262 on: September 30, 2011, 11:16:07 am »
I've been to the club and have had cravings for fries and/or ice cream countless times.

lay off the weed, dude.
<sig>

Driveway

« Reply #3263 on: September 30, 2011, 03:10:49 pm »
I just noticed that Smashing Pumpkins are a "Live Nation" band.  How did you get them to play at 930 Club?  I'm really glad that they are!

azaghal1981

« Reply #3264 on: September 30, 2011, 03:20:24 pm »
That's true. Didn't Corgan lobby in favor of the LN/TM merger because he's having sex with Irving Azoff or something?
احمد

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3265 on: September 30, 2011, 03:27:20 pm »
it's art . . . or money.  they're both the same, you know.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #3266 on: September 30, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »
he seems to have a conscience

lily1

« Reply #3267 on: September 30, 2011, 05:19:15 pm »

That would be great! Then I would not have to trek up to the AFI in Silver Spring. I could have a beautiful historic movie theatre just a few metro stops from me.

Jesse

« Reply #3268 on: October 04, 2011, 05:35:07 pm »
Seth, How about Frank Ocean at the club? He's doing solo shows.

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/44203-frank-ocean-announces-solo-shows/

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3269 on: October 06, 2011, 12:13:10 pm »
Hey Seth - Any chance of getting Todd Rundgren's Utopia in DC or even Baltimore?  Their tour seems to end in Philly.  I'm sure you can convince them to end it down here instead. :-)