Author Topic: Virgin Music Festival @ Pimlico  (Read 66578 times)

bnyced0

Re: Virgin Music Festival @ Pimlico
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »
For all the confidence that "This to sell fast so get your tickets early," why would they make it so scalper friendly by allowing someone to buy 8 tickets at a pre-sale?  Now there are some people with 7 other friends, even those willng to pay $800 plus upfront to ensure the whole gang get tickets, but are there that many of them?  Scalpers will get their hands on tickets in any case but do we have to make it easy for them?  A confident promoter would do 2, or at most 4 tickets during a pre-sale and I would argue for only 4 per person in any case.  This is just a useless rant, they could care less who buys the tickets or who actually goes, just as long as costs are recouped profit is made, I understand capitalism so I'm not MAD at them for that, just wish they'd make those bastards work a little harder, TicketBastard is firmly entrenched in Hell but collectively ticket brokers are the Devil incarnate.

ggw

« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by fooschae:
  I cringed when I heard the WTOP news reporter introduce Seth as "Jeff Horowitz" this afternoon. Seth politely corrected him, and the reporter then said "Seth" at the beginning of every sentence thereafter.
When I heard the story on WTOP, they got the first name correct, but Frank Herzog referred to him as Seth "Horowitz" - twice.

Mobius

« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2006, 08:02:00 pm »
Looking at the V Fest lineup reminds me of looking at someone's fantasy football team after the draft who quietly put together a solid team, even you didn't think any of their picks were particularly impressive.  Consistently strong talent, some underrated guys no one's talking about, and can't miss warhorses.  Didn't get the "Larry Johnson"-superstar . . . i.e. Radiohead . . . and the Studs are technically past their prime.  BUT think about it:  The Who, RHCP, and Jack White were arguably THE best live acts of their eras.  Flaming Lips and Thievery Corporation are huge.  Gnarls Barkley and CYHSY may disappoint in this setting . . . but they're cool . . . and you need lowlights to get beers.  The NME darling wildcards - Killers - anthems are conducive to the festival atmosphere if you're not close enough to see that the music is emanating from a Douche on a sparkly keyboard; Keane - also solid anthems; Kasabian; Scissor Sisters - never seen them but supposedly they're fun; Wolfmother - ditto.  Throw in some hall of fame djs in Carl Cox and Digweed; and then throw in DBT, NPs, Brazillian Girls, and RJD2 and you've got a squad that can really do some damage.

andyrichter

« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2006, 08:12:00 pm »
I don't know about calling RHCP one of the best live acts of their eras or any eras for that matter.  I've heard a lot of people say their live show is just ok, if not unimpressive.

ggw

« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2006, 08:48:00 pm »
Although they wouldn't rank in a listing of my favorite bands, I have seen RHCP 5-6 times over the last 20 years and I think they do put on a good show.  Kiedis's schtick gets a little tired, but Flea and Frusciante are great.

anarchist

« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2006, 08:59:00 pm »
with 2 stages going on simultaniously you probably get to choose between rhcp + the who at the end.  didn't the who retire over 20 yrs ago? can't tell sell their songs to make commercials?  some day i would like to see them at the black cat.

Mobius

« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2006, 10:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by andyrichter:
  I don't know about calling RHCP one of the best live acts of their eras or any eras for that matter.  I've heard a lot of people say their live show is just ok, if not unimpressive.
Granted they are a polarizing band, but you could argue in good faith there was no better live band in the 87-91 era.  Of course you could (and probably should) argue that Jane's Addiction was better . . . or whoever else.  The Chili Peppers show at Richie Coliseum in 1990 on the Mother's Milk tour was as intense/fun/exciting show as I've ever seen.  I heard they were even better in the Hillel era.   The last time I saw them was headlining that tour with Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins and it was an incredible show.   A lot has changed since then (I assume - and it may be hard to remember the energy they had back then (as it may be hard to remember how great Jane's Addiction was while watching Dave Navarro host Rock Star Supernova).

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2006, 10:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  Flaming Lips and Thievery Corporation are huge.  

As for The Flaming Lips being huge, they played in Philly this weekend for FREE and there were only a few hundred people there.

saintangelsin

« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2006, 11:07:00 pm »
i feel like i've been living under a rock or something. usually i know about these festivals around the same time all the "insiders" do. but then again, I am in western maryland for the summer.

I think this is a great thing for those who don't go to many concerts. I wish I could go, but it's hard to tell if it's possible. (As a family, we don't do vacations, we go to music festivals and concerts.) If my family and I didn't go to many concerts, I think my parents would be more than alright with paying 97 bucks. well, my dad agrees with me that 97 for both the who and RHCP is just amazing. my mom on the other hand, isn't too thrilled with the idea of paying that much.

Anyways, I think it's wonderful something this huge is happening. Let's face it, WHFS is pretty much dead. well, it's dying slowly from what i've heard and been told. It's about time that this area gets a huge festival to happen again. I miss going to all day events and seeing a crap load of bands. Not to mention, as a music journalist, this music festival makes me drool. granted, i'm not into the over hyped bands (ie- the killers and clap your hands and say yeah), but i like the fact that there's variety and the possibility of more events to happen like this.

chaconas

« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

As for The Flaming Lips being huge, they played in Philly this weekend for FREE and there were only a few hundred people there. [/b]
I'd say there were at least 3000 people.  There should have been more, but it was poorly advertised.

As for their overall 'hugeness,' they do tend to play toward the end of the night at these festival things.

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2006, 11:15:00 pm »
I'm kinda bummed. This old fart has tix to see Roger Waters already, on the very same night as the V Fest. Ah well, there's always next year ....

SPARX

« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2006, 01:25:00 am »
Originally posted by chancegardener:
  I'm kinda bummed. This old fart has tix to see Roger Waters already, on the very same night as the V Fest. Ah well, there's always next year ....
You should get a good show though. The venue Nissan is what kept me away. Still debating this VFEST. I've seen the RHCP more than I ever needed to  and it's hard to get too excited about The Who at this stage of their game. They did an ace job with the rest of the lineup, no doubt about that. Whats up with the VIP? If I'm willing to shell out the 100 and drive 3 hours 1 way,I hope there's some info on whatever extra perks that may be available at addl. cost anounced sometime this week.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2006, 07:28:00 am »
Originally posted by chaconas:

Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

As for The Flaming Lips being huge, they played in Philly this weekend for FREE and there were only a few hundred people there. [/b]
I'd say there were at least 3000 people.  There should have been more, but it was poorly advertised.

As for their overall 'hugeness,' they do tend to play toward the end of the night at these festival things. [/b]
hmmm...my estimate may be a little low, but 3000 seems a little high.  I didn't see 3x a 9:30 capacity-crowd there.  Still, even 3000 at a free show hardly qualifies as "huge" IMHO.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2006, 07:57:00 am »
Having seen The Who live three times, the last being the Quadrophenia tour, I'd more excited to see Pete solo then them.  Unless of course it was a hot sweat show with them at club then we are talking...

So can we start putting requests for next years festival?  Robbie Williams is my first choice...
T.Rex

lbcardoni

« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2006, 08:00:00 am »
Thievery Corporation are huge.
Last time, they were in Baltimore, there was maybe 150 people there.