Author Topic: Virgin Music Festival @ Pimlico  (Read 66576 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Virgin Music Festival @ Pimlico
« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by myuman:
 Pimlico?  I go to preakness every year, and usually watch the race from the street.
have you met rhett?  you guys would be the bestest of friends!
(o|o)

« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2006, 12:24:00 pm »
This concert may not be conducive to Rosh Hashana, but it is conducive to that other sacred Jewish tenet, capitalism.

Originally posted by lbcardoni:
  From the Baltimore Sun...

"The event falls on Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, and Pimlico is near Jewish communities in Northwest Baltimore....  He said Rosh Hashana is a day of introspection when many people don't drive, and that traffic from the show could be dangerous for pedestrians.

..."When Pimlico has concerts, we can hear it quite loudly in our neighborhood," Nachlas said. "Frankly, I'm not sure the Red Hot Chili Peppers are conducive to a day of introspection."

PigIron

« Reply #182 on: July 18, 2006, 12:32:00 pm »
Its funny that everyone, including myself, would love to have a great big festival on the east coast, but when we get one there is so much bickering.  Its the V Festival, for chrissakes.  The prices are the same as they are in Europe (for a one-day pass).  The lineup looks similar to the British ones as far as quality goes.  Its going to be big and glossy and corporate, like the Brit version.  Personally, I think its nice to have a festival so close - I've always hated the WHFS festival lineups and I've never gone.  I might not go to this either, but maybe next year I will if the lineup is right.

sonickteam2

« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2006, 12:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:

Compared, however, to a fest like Lollapalooza or ACL or even Coachella/Bonnaroo, this does seem pricey.  Those festivals last three days, and cost about $50 to $60 more - featuring more bands and bigger headliners. I can appreciate that they have to cover costs, but $100 for a one day event, when you consider the other festivals that it can be compared to, is pretty steep.
but for people in Baltimore, DC, Philly and areas in between, you have to think about the plane, hotel, days off work factor that it takes going to Coachella.  the ticket may be pricey, but this show is going to be 1/4 of the price of my Lollapalooza trip next month.

(and no one is a bigger headliner than the Who, imo)

squidbitz

« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »
Has anyone checked the police reports for the Preakness race.  10 car jackings/ 22 stolen cars/ 174 car break ins (yes 174)/ 13 muggings/ 2 rapes/ 73 disorderly (fighting & drunken)
  ...Pimlico welcomes you with open arms.

paul3mac

« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by squidbitz:
  Has anyone checked the police reports for the Preakness race.  10 car jackings/ 22 stolen cars/ 174 car break ins (yes 174)/ 13 muggings/ 2 rapes/ 73 disorderly (fighting & drunken)
A large farm in Baltimore County would have been serene... but 60,000 people trying to find a place to park in one of the most crime ridden areas of Baltimore sounds fun though

ggw

« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2006, 01:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by Big KC:
  the password is: BARBARO
I thought it was "Shana Tova"

Bags

« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2006, 01:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by myuman:
 but I won't be taking the 45 minute drive to see this "premier music festival"... just not worth it....  
WHOA, 45 minutes.  That IS insane.  Gotta bag this whole notion...

Sage 703

« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by corporal clegg:

Originally posted by callat703:

Compared, however, to a fest like Lollapalooza or ACL or even Coachella/Bonnaroo, this does seem pricey.  Those festivals last three days, and cost about $50 to $60 more - featuring more bands and bigger headliners. I can appreciate that they have to cover costs, but $100 for a one day event, when you consider the other festivals that it can be compared to, is pretty steep.
but for people in Baltimore, DC, Philly and areas in between, you have to think about the plane, hotel, days off work factor that it takes going to Coachella.  the ticket may be pricey, but this show is going to be 1/4 of the price of my Lollapalooza trip next month.

(and no one is a bigger headliner than the Who, imo) [/b]
Yep, this is true.  I lucked out and got the $45 tickets to Lollapalooza.

And again - thrilled that the festival is happening.  It would just take a different lineup for me to head out to it for that price.  I hope that its wildly successful and continues on for years to come.

Bags

« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2006, 01:58:00 pm »
  oh my god stop the bitching. do you realize what a bunch of whiny whiny whiny people you sound like?

good fucking lord.

Good fucking Lord is right.

I've never seen the Who, but I love them.  I'd assume I was paying $100/ticket to see just them.  Okay, I realize I'm not in the majority (in that I'm a Who fan who's never seen them -- back when they were last touring I really stayed away from stadium shows).  

But come on -- this is a huge festival meant to appeal to 60,000 people.  I guess I'm not surprised the indie Pitchfork "too bad DBT are playing 9:30 Club instead of Galaxy Hut" crowd isn't in to it here.

I pray that the thing sells out, Seth is victorious and we might get another big show again.  I'm not sure I'm going, but I'm thinking about it.  It's a valiant effort.

sonickteam2

« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2006, 02:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by paul3mac:

Originally posted by squidbitz:
A large farm in Baltimore County would have been serene... but 60,000 people trying to find a place to park in one of the most crime ridden areas of Baltimore sounds fun though [/b]
if you come in from 83 and northern parkway you'll have no problem.

they DO have a tremendous parking problem though.  and i hope for their sake they set up busses to run to and from the grounds from a larger/safer parking lot.  because the Preakness gets 100,000 people but MOST of them come in on busses. too bad i dont know anyone who works at a bus company anymore.

paul3mac

« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2006, 02:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

oh my god stop the bitching. do you realize what a bunch of whiny whiny whiny people you sound like?

good fucking lord.

Good fucking Lord is right.

I've never seen the Who, but I love them.  I'd assume I was paying $100/ticket to see just them.  Okay, I realize I'm not in the majority (in that I'm a Who fan who's never seen them -- back when they were last touring I really stayed away from stadium shows).  

But come on -- this is a huge festival meant to appeal to 60,000 people.  I guess I'm not surprised the indie Pitchfork "too bad DBT are playing 9:30 Club instead of Galaxy Hut" crowd isn't in to it here.

I pray that the thing sells out, Seth is victorious and we might get another big show again.  I'm not sure I'm going, but I'm thinking about it.  It's a valiant effort. [/b]
What I don't understand, as someone posted earlier, how people can bitch about the price of this, but be fine with $50 for Belle and Sebastian?!?

My only gripes, I wish the Who wasn't on it, because I'm not all that interested in seeing them and I feel they added significantly to the ticket price, but I understand they probably were needed in order to sell 60,000 tickets.
 The location is also a bit strange to me, but I assume other locations were considered and this was deemed the best.

I think overall the lineup is very solid though and I'm thrilled to see something like this come to the East Coast, much less Baltimore.

paul3mac

« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »

they DO have a tremendous parking problem though.  and i hope for their sake they set up busses to run to and from the grounds from a larger/safer parking lot.  because the Preakness gets 100,000 people but MOST of them come in on busses. too bad i dont know anyone who works at a bus company anymore.
A shuttle bus from a light rail stop would be cool.

sonickteam2

« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2006, 02:20:00 pm »

A shuttle bus from a light rail stop would be cool. [/b]
not cool, fucking excellent. it would solve all my problems  :)    and anyones really considering theres a light rail stop right at Camden Yards so DC people could just drive right there and head up from the stadium

(and since i live so close, stop by the sonick canadian pre-party!)

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »
  What I don't understand, as someone posted earlier, how people can bitch about the price of this, but be fine with $50 for Belle and Sebastian?!?

Because, let's face it, the company is better.  It's like the difference between going to a nice restaurant and McDonalds.  I don't know which is worse, hanging out at a race track with useless, balding (but still rocking the ponytail!) baby boomers hoping to "rock out" with The Who or drunken, moron frat boys wanting to see RHCP do "some crazy shit."  I wouldn't be caught dead hanging out with SIX of either of those types of fans, let alone 60,000.

Brian