Author Topic: Virgin Music Festival @ Pimlico  (Read 66574 times)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
Re: Virgin Music Festival @ Pimlico
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2006, 03:32:00 pm »
Do you get it?  The point I'm trying to make is that yeah, there are different types of people into different stuff everywhere.  You shouldn't just lump people together like that.  Nobody should.

sonickteam2

« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2006, 03:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  Do you get it?  The point I'm trying to make is that yeah, there are different types of people into different stuff everywhere.  You shouldn't just lump people together like that.  Nobody should.
we have the same point for chrissakes, i am sorry you misunderstood mine as something else.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2006, 03:47:00 pm »
Okie doke.  Just making sure.

PigIron

« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2006, 03:49:00 pm »
Whoa there!!!  I agree with you for the most part, but I think its perfectly fair to say that all Phish fans are filthy hippies.  Its a simple and scientific fact.  But nice try.

« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2006, 04:02:00 pm »
I bet you won't find many Belle and Sebastian fans in poor white rural areas or inner city black neighborhoods.

Belle and Sebastian fans typically wear whatever the fuck they want because they are, like, totally, maybe, kind of, actually human beings.

Sage 703

« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by PigIron:

Whoa there!!!  I agree with you for the most part, but I think its perfectly fair to say that all Phish fans are filthy hippies.  Its a simple and scientific fact.  But nice try. [/b]
Watch it.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2006, 04:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  I bet you won't find many Belle and Sebastian fans in ... inner city black neighborhoods.
no no, you're way off on that one ... there are TONS of belle & sebastian fans in inner city black neighborhoods, what do you think all the white gentrifiers listen to!?
(o|o)

lily1

« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2006, 10:18:00 pm »
i highly doubt that. they sold out nearly every date on their us tour last year, including 3 back to back nights at the 930 club. and if i'm not mistaken, sold out every night of their european tour last year as well.

Originally posted by lbcardoni:

Thievery Corporation are huge.
Last time, they were in Baltimore, there was maybe 150 people there. [/b]

lily1

« Reply #218 on: July 18, 2006, 10:25:00 pm »
*giggling*

furthermore, as gay white men are typically the first of the "urban pioneers" to move into aforementioned neighborhoods, and according to someone (don't remember who) who posts on here, b&s have a significant following the gay community, then you are indeed, spot on hoya!

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  I bet you won't find many Belle and Sebastian fans in ... inner city black neighborhoods.
no no, you're way off on that one ... there are TONS of belle & sebastian fans in inner city black neighborhoods, what do you think all the white gentrifiers listen to!? [/b]

lily1

« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2006, 10:36:00 pm »
so i'm sitting here debating whether or not to go to this festival. i don't think $100 is a lot of money for an all day festival at all. i was expecting at least $75. and even better, you can buy at the 930 and avoid the stupid fees!

regardless of whether i choose to attend or not, i hope they get a good turn out. hell, if it does sell out (though i don't think it will), i'll be thrilled for seth.

we've been bitching for years that all the good music festivals are in europe, and all we get stateside is coachella to their multiple festivals. so you know what, hats off to seth for putting this together and bringing it to a city nearby.

this is the inagural attempt so obviously there are going to be some bumps and a few glitches. but who the fuck cares, that's expected! we have a music festival, FINALLY! and it ain't crappy hfstival! and a festival, that i'm sure one, if continued in 2007, that seth will defintely look to his boardies for suggestions to make it even more successful. (ie, band suggestions, of which, i second robbie williams!). future v festivals have the potential to be as rockin' stateside as they are in england.

Bags

« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2006, 10:43:00 pm »
Robbie
 Williams!

Robbie
 Williams!

Robbie
 Williams!

:p

sonickteam2

« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2006, 11:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:
  so i'm sitting here debating whether or not to go to this festival. i don't think $100 is a lot of money for an all day festival at all. i was expecting at least $75. and even better, you can buy at the 930 and avoid the stupid fees!

regardless of whether i choose to attend or not, i hope they get a good turn out. hell, if it does sell out (though i don't think it will), i'll be thrilled for seth.

we've been bitching for years that all the good music festivals are in europe, and all we get stateside is coachella to their multiple festivals. so you know what, hats off to seth for putting this together and bringing it to a city nearby.

this is the inagural attempt so obviously there are going to be some bumps and a few glitches. but who the fuck cares, that's expected! we have a music festival, FINALLY! and it ain't crappy hfstival! and a festival, that i'm sure one, if continued in 2007, that seth will defintely look to his boardies for suggestions to make it even more successful. (ie, band suggestions, of which, i second robbie williams!). future v festivals have the potential to be as rockin' stateside as they are in england.
yay lily

you are correct all over the place. yes, there will be glitches.  the big one i see is parking and getting in and out of the venue.
  Preakness has 100,000 attendees, but every bar in Baltimore and 30 miles out rents busses to take dozens of drunks to the track. I would imagine that 2/3 of the infield at any given preakness doesnt actually drive there.  I really hope they thought of this, busses from the harbor, DC, the light rail stops, etc will help ease traffic.

and also true that festivals, like clubs or bars, get reputations for being good or bad. HFS could have crapped in a bag and set it on fire onstage in 1995 and they could have sold out RFK. but now, Radiohead might not have sold out Merriweather, cause people think HFS is crap.

that said, they need a big ole turnout for their first show or two, then once they can get people to be like "i am going there every year" (like Coachella has) they can put some acts on the bill that have more diversity and appeal to the indie kids

i have never been to europe but a friend of mine went last summer, went to V Fest, Glastonbury, some fest in Germany and one in Belgium and she said that despite americans thinking all European festivals are like way cool and everyones nice, most of them are just like HFStival, bunch of drunk jerks throwing beer around and flashing their boobies.

i know , i know Coachella isnt like that, but hey, its California. people are too cool to get drunk  :)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #222 on: July 19, 2006, 07:39:00 am »
For me there are very few acts which can headline a large festival that I'm interested in seeing and most of them are classic rock like Stooges, Bowie, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, and AC/DC.  Depeche Mode or Madonna doing a extended set she did at Live 8 would be something to see. Just haven't been a big festival type of person for several years now...

My fingers are crossed they'll add six Voxtrot quality acts to the bill, because as it stands right now I'd rather take the risk the Raconteurs hit this area on their own later in the year.  Sparklefest, my kind of festival, takes place in Raleigh the next weekend and I'd rather there be sharing tea with hopefully The Shazam and The Mockers.
T.Rex

MaLo

« Reply #223 on: July 19, 2006, 08:30:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Robbie
 Williams!

Robbie
 Williams!

Robbie
 Williams!

:p  
Woot!  I'd be there then.

« Reply #224 on: July 19, 2006, 08:38:00 am »
Who is sponsoring The Who's tour anyway, Metamucil?  See The Who and die.

If The Who can tour, what's next?

A Beatles tour to support the new album?

A Ramones tour?

How many surviving members does a band have to have in order to form a "We're broke we need fast cash" tour?

There was a fake commercial on the old Saturday Night Live, back when that program was funny, where Elvis' jacket was on tour crooning the hits. Maybe now even Elvis will make a comeback?  

If The Ramones did decide to tour, who would they get for lead singer...John Paul Rodgers is already taken?