Author Topic: My position on scalping...  (Read 61346 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: My position on scalping...
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2009, 12:31:37 am »
I'm pretty sure I'll buy some tix to see the last reg season Caps homegame tomorrow from some scalper...game's at 3:00 i'll buy around noon or 1:00 and get face.  So I'll even this thing out for all the outraged masses.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2009, 10:25:52 am »
Bend over assholes so I can take you for all you're worth...and you'll love every extra dollar you'll have to pay me for it.

now we're talkin

sign me up

wml7

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:25 am »
Bend over assholes so I can take you for all you're worth...and you'll love every extra dollar you'll have to pay me for it.

now we're talkin
sign me up

Well, before you sign up what the hell is the lineup for vfest???

Rknrldr

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2009, 09:26:24 am »
My head hurts from reading this.. ???

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2009, 11:25:49 am »
this just was in the news today. good news - aside for those trying to buy U2 tix.

Crackdown on ticket resellers

NEW YORK. Sen. Charles Schumer wants to crack down on sky-high ticket prices: Proposed legislation would impose a two-day waiting period before resellers snatch up face-value tickets and jack up prices.

The new rule wouldn?t be enacted before fans buy tickets this morning for U2?s fall concert, Schumer said yesterday, but he hopes to see it pass before Major League Baseball playoffs.
HeyLa

sonickteam2

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2009, 11:31:41 am »
why would a New York senator care about the MLB playoffs?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2009, 01:08:34 pm »
why would a New York senator care about the MLB playoffs?

ouch/potw.
<sig>

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2009, 01:56:18 pm »
this just was in the news today. good news - aside for those trying to buy U2 tix.

NEW YORK. Sen. Charles Schumer wants to crack down on sky-high ticket prices: Proposed legislation would impose a two-day waiting period before resellers snatch up face-value tickets and jack up prices.

The new rule wouldn?t be enacted before fans buy tickets this morning for U2?s fall concert, Schumer said yesterday, but he hopes to see it pass before Major League Baseball playoffs.

So TM el al will just hold the scalp pool for two days before channeling them to the 'brokers'.  The law is useless.
FUKIT

Venerable Bede

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2009, 02:11:05 pm »

So TM el al will just hold the scalp pool for two days before channeling them to the 'brokers'.  The law is useless.
agreed. . .i would love to see how this is enforced. . .what's ebay and craigslist to do?  a number of states already have laws on their books about the resale of tickets, but that doesn't seem to stop people.
OU812

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2009, 02:40:19 pm »

it might be useless - but at least someone is _trying_ to do something. perhaps it will work in some ways, perhaps it wont. but after the springsteen fiasco, something had to do be done.

HeyLa

Venerable Bede

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2009, 02:44:33 pm »
something had to do be done.
ahhhh yes. . .the "something has to be done" rule of lawmaking. . .it's second only to the "there oughta be a law" rule.
OU812

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2009, 02:47:49 pm »
something had to do be done.
ahhhh yes. . .the "something has to be done" rule of lawmaking. . .it's second only to the "there oughta be a law" rule.

im not implying a law needed to be made regarding this - but its nice to see _something_ being done (or at least attempting to be done).
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2009, 02:22:47 pm »
Pssst! Want a Ticket? Hey, I?m Legit. Really.

interesting read.  selected quotes:

In contrast to the popular image of the ticket trader as a shadowy hustler, the life of the rank-and-file online broker can be surprisingly humdrum. In interviews several small resellers described a job not unlike that of a low-margin day trader. Each morning they scour the Web for passwords to use for special promotions on Ticketmaster, and all day they keep close watch on their secondary-exchange listings, making numerous competitive price adjustments. One New England broker, who also sells office supplies and didn?t want his name used to protect both jobs, said that for this high-maintenance side gig he hopes to make $40,000 a year.

(...)

To reach the widest potential market most brokers list their tickets on exchanges like StubHub, TicketsNow and TicketNetwork. Special software is needed to do that efficiently, and Mr. Vaccaro?s is particularly attractive to the little guys because of one ingenious feature: it allows them to borrow one another?s listings for their own Web sites, advertising what appear to be huge pools of tickets. As a result hundreds of sites are all essentially offering the same seats.

When brokers use the TicketNetwork software, whoever makes the sale gets a commission, even if another party fills the order. This can be great for brokers adept at drawing Web traffic. But it can confuse consumers, who don?t always know whom they are buying from until their transaction has been completed.

(...)

Then, with a wheezy chuckle, Mr. Vaccaro remembered the speech he gave at the first Ticket Summit.

?I know that you?ve all heard stories,? he recalled saying, ?about box-office managers getting cash payoffs, primary ticket outlets selling their tickets directly to brokers, managers selling their tickets to brokers. And I just want to dispel those rumors right now by confirming that they?re all true. This is the way that it was.

?But I think it?s getting better.?

</quotes>
<sig>

Reod Dai

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2009, 06:50:36 pm »
Scalping is different from beer reselling -- Scalpers profit without adding value to the transaction, and are therefore essentially leeches on society (much like derivatives traders).   Bars profit because they add value to the beer they're selling -- an enjoyable atmosphere, for example.   

I'm rather surprised this obvious difference needs to be explained.   ::)
Yes, BARS do that.  But when I go to a concert venue, I have already paid for the atmosphere with my ticket.  I'm not even suggesting that concert venues should charge less for alcohol than bars; however, I don't believe that it's too much to ask that they charge the SAME.  After all, I pay to go to a concert venue, but I almost never pay to go to a bar.

I institued a simple policy long ago that I will simply not drink at a venue that charges too much (and as much as I love the 9:30, it's a prime example).  The way I see it, lower alcohol prices would be greatly offset by greater volume sold.  When I can go to a venue like Spaceland and buy a draft pint (of GOOD beer) for $5.50, I'll probably have at least one or two.  And venues like that make me see venues like the 9:30 who charge $6 for a bottle (the price of a six-pack, in some cases, such as with Woodchuck Cider) in a very poor light.  If the price for a bottle of Woodchuck were even $4 (still about four times its store price), I'd probably have one or two.  Most smaller venues aren't that bad, though.  It's the really large venues I can't stand, with their $9 and up plastic cups of crappy beer (thanks to their horrible selection).

I hold a passionate hatred for scalping, and long ago resolved not to buy tickets from scalpers no matter how much I want to see a show.  I'd rather miss a show I really want to see than pay $60 for a $20 ticket and support some lowlife out to ruin it for true fans who just want to see a band play.  However, I will say that I very often buy tickets the night of a show, but only from people who just want to get rid of an extra ticket or two.  I've gotten into many, many sold out shows that way.  I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't know what'll be going on one, two, three months down the road, and will very rarely commit to a show more than a week or two in advance.  That means that I very often have to find tickets for sold-out shows.  I'm all for instituting methods to limit and prevent scalping, but printing names on tickets and checking IDs would completely ruin that option for people like me, and for people who do commit months in advance and end up not being able to make the show.  Ticket selling between fans is completely different from scalping, and any attempt to curb scalping needs to take that into account.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:55:57 pm by Reod Dai »

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2009, 07:06:09 pm »
6 dollars for a pack of Woodchuck!? I've never paid less than 8.