Author Topic: Stanley Cup Picks  (Read 212591 times)

vansmack

Re: Stanley Cup Picks
« Reply #450 on: May 15, 2009, 02:57:25 pm »
I only question how long the Niedermayer/Pronger/Selanne talent window stays open before a complete overhaul is needed.

Well, it's pretty obvious we're going to need a right winger.  Selanne at 38 and R Niedermayer at 34 are an ongoing problem with their decline.

I'm less concerned about the Defense.  Sure Pronger and S Niedermayer are sure bet hall of famers and impossible to replace, but that's why they went after Whitney and Wiesnewski.  Whit is signed for 4 years and Wies for 3 and if they can spend one or two more seasons with teachers like Scotty and Prong, they will be more than serviceable.

The number one line is so young (and underrated in my eyes with all this Sidney-Ovie talk) that it's ridiculous, and the rest of league should be scared.  Getzlaf is 24, Perry is 23 (and fearless at that age!), and Ryan (22)/Carter (25).

What we don't have is the reputation of a Detroit franchise where a player like Hossa will take less to play with Detroit.  He's the right winger we were missing last night...if he were willing to take a similar salary this offseason, we should have plenty of cap space with Jiggy gone and reductions in the Niedermayer load.

27>34

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #451 on: May 15, 2009, 03:24:32 pm »
#1 thing the Caps need to improve upon for next season is getting physically (and especially mentally) tougher.
No, I'm sorry, we were looking for "playing some defense, for once." "Playing some defense, for once." Too bad, but tell him what his consolation prize is, Johnny!

Can't play defense unless you play physically. Last time I checked, this isn't women's hockey.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
HeyLa

vansmack

« Reply #453 on: May 15, 2009, 03:46:24 pm »
Detroit in 6 (I was tempted to say 5, but I think they've got a few extra bruises)

Pens in 6.
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #454 on: May 15, 2009, 04:27:57 pm »
Detroit in 6 (I was tempted to say 5, but I think they've got a few extra bruises)
Yeah, I'm expecting Chicago to take game 1, if for no other reason than Chicago didn't just play Anaheim and Detroit did. I don't think the Wings are out of gas, but I anticipate a hiccup.

Detroit in 11.

No clue who in the East to be honest. The Canes are playing some great playoff hockey and Ward is back in old form (and apparently has never lost a playoff series) but the Penguins have more offensive firepower, obviously. It could go either way.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2009, 04:30:16 pm »
i think brother-in-law, father-in-law and me are going to try to make game 4 in chicago next sunday. . .

OU812

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #456 on: May 16, 2009, 03:31:54 pm »
The Winnepeg Jets to return... if Bettman gets his way?? http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278929

I'd love to see this, then Bassillie getting an expansion team in Hamilton or Kitchner in future years. Wow.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #457 on: May 16, 2009, 10:41:07 pm »
hockey
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:56:26 pm by chaz »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #458 on: May 18, 2009, 12:31:33 pm »
just got offered a ticket to game 2 and i dont think i can go :(
o/\o

chaz

« Reply #459 on: May 22, 2009, 09:45:54 am »
In a poll of 292 players, Alex Ovechkin became the first back-to-back winner [of Sporting News' player of the year award] since Pittsburgh's Jaromir Jagr (1999-2000). The top three:

1. Alex Ovechkin, Capitals 147
2. Evgeni Malkin, Penguins 65
3. Pavel Datsyuk, Red Wings 23

Note to RatBastard:  Why would a player with "no class" and "no respect for the game" be voted by his colleagues as the best in the business (by a landslide) two years running?  The respect of your peers is by far the best measure of class and respect, so put that in your bubble pipe and blow on it.

sonickteam2

« Reply #460 on: May 22, 2009, 09:46:55 am »
for someone who's just gotten into hockey, you're already a real ass!

chaz

« Reply #461 on: May 22, 2009, 09:51:18 am »
for someone who's just gotten into hockey, you're already a real ass!
Feel free to get your bubble pipe out too, hoser.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #462 on: May 22, 2009, 10:44:01 am »
Why would a player with "no class" and "no respect for the game" be voted by his colleagues as the best in the business (by a landslide) two years running? 
by scoring a whole lot of goals

malkin was awesome last night. wow
o/\o

chaz

« Reply #463 on: May 22, 2009, 10:53:13 am »
Why would a player with "no class" and "no respect for the game" be voted by his colleagues as the best in the business (by a landslide) two years running? 
by scoring a whole lot of goals

malkin was awesome last night. wow

Indeed he was.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #464 on: May 22, 2009, 02:45:56 pm »
Note to RatBastard:  Why would a player with "no class" and "no respect for the game" be voted by his colleagues as the best in the business (by a landslide) two years running?  The respect of your peers is by far the best measure of class and respect, so put that in your bubble pipe and blow on it.

the guy is a great player on the ice and other players see that. it does not mean he is a great guy. please dont get the two of them confused which you clearly have. you dont have to be the classiest guy/nicest guy for other people to notice what you bring to the game.

and for a newcomer, you certainly act like the game begins and ends with ovie which clearly it does not.

Go HAWKS!
HeyLa