Author Topic: Stanley Cup Picks  (Read 213779 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: Stanley Cup Picks
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2009, 09:44:04 am »
when do tickets go on sale

Presale @ 11:00am today.

sonickteam2

« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2009, 10:45:58 am »
thanks Versus

No kidding.  Thank god I don't have to listen to those f'in homers on CSN-Bay Area any longer.

i actually enjoy the Boston homers. :)  i just hope i get to watch more than just the last 30 minutes of the Bruins game.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2009, 06:17:14 pm »
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2009, 08:53:55 am »
move them to toronto
o/\o

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2009, 09:19:24 am »
and a quick word from those not in the playoffs: The NHL has loaned an unknown amount of money to the Phoenix Coyotes for payroll and rent payments
The bigger issue is rumours coming from venue ownership that the NHL has day-to-day control of the franchise, and did at the trade deadline. Did they approve taking a bunch of junk salary and shopping Jokinen to Canada? Very big ramifications.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2009, 10:26:48 am »
I heard on the radio yesterday that even with selling out most home games and the tons of jerseys etc they are selling the Caps are still operating at a loss this year.  I guess without the money from a lucrative TV contract these teams will never make much.....I'm curious to know the revenue of other NHL franchises, who makes $$ and who doesn't.  Also curious to know if the Canadian teams make more than their US counterparts....I'd imagine they have a better TV contract up there?

Can anyone shed any light on this stuff?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2009, 10:51:35 am »
i doubt canadian teams are doing a whole lot better than their US counterparts.  they have better TV coverage... to a much smaller audience.  hockey on CBC is probably more of a tradition than a business decision at this point, and the CBC has a VERY limited budget.

EDIT: quick google search revealed that the CBC pays the NHL about $100 million a year. 
<sig>

« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2009, 10:55:17 am »
I believe with revenue sharing that the TV contract money (US, Canadian, local) is split evenly between all teams. At least that's what I was always told.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2009, 11:36:35 am »
the nbc/versus deal is the problem. dead horse i know, but youd think a second rate network would at least broadcast more games than they do

o/\o

sonickteam2

« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2009, 11:44:19 am »
the nbc/versus deal is the problem. dead horse i know, but youd think a second rate network would at least broadcast more games than they do

i feel the same way.  I guess they get better rating for rodeos and fishing shows...sad.

vansmack

« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2009, 12:19:09 pm »
Can anyone shed any light on this stuff?

You rang? 

Post lockout, the NHL now has a Collective Bargaining Agreement where the most profitable franchises pitch in a portion of their profits and that money is then shared with smaller, less well performing (marketwise, not on the ice) teams.  This allows them to meet payroll and compete with the new salary cap, which is usually much more than their total salary was before the cap was in place.

A few years ago, the Versus TV deal only paid each team $2 Million each, which is small potatoes compared to larger sports.  If you add NBC and their local affiliate, most American hockey team pull in $6 million per franchise($8 million for most Canadian franchises).  That's less than 10% of the salary cap, so teams have to rely on ticket sales, which in small markets have been down.  Thus the popular teams (NY Rangers, Montreal, Toronto, Philly) subsidize the less popular teams.

And yes, generally, the remaining Canadian teams are outperforming their US counterparts, save for the Rangers and Philly. 
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2009, 12:25:13 pm »
Here's a good article in Forbes to back me up.

And a list of the most valuable franchises.  But don't confuse value with revenue as it's not always 1-1, however it's a pretty good indicator.  For example, the Bruins and Flyers are listed as fairly valuable (5 & 7), but this year they are both operating at a loss (debts on facilities are included), while the Oilers are listed near the bottom but are operating at a profit.

I read Forbes for the hockey coverage.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:31:56 pm by vansmack »
27>34

« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2009, 12:36:49 pm »
Thus the popular teams (NY Rangers, Montreal, Toronto, Philly) subsidize the less popular teams...

...the remaining Canadian teams are outperforming their US counterparts, save for the Rangers and Philly... 
Is it just gearing up for tonite that's allowing you to leave Detroit out of this discussion? Even in the worst economy in North America they're still top 5 in revenues, I believe. And while there's no definitive way of measuring it, I'd say the number of Wings fans at road games helps small market economys alot more than most franchises.

« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2009, 12:47:49 pm »
83% of the population of Detroit is black. What percentage of Red Wings crowds are black?

Thus the popular teams (NY Rangers, Montreal, Toronto, Philly) subsidize the less popular teams...

...the remaining Canadian teams are outperforming their US counterparts, save for the Rangers and Philly... 
Is it just gearing up for tonite that's allowing you to leave Detroit out of this discussion? Even in the worst economy in North America they're still top 5 in revenues, I believe. And while there's no definitive way of measuring it, I'd say the number of Wings fans at road games helps small market economys alot more than most franchises.

vansmack

« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2009, 12:48:30 pm »
Is it just gearing up for tonite that's allowing you to leave Detroit out of this discussion?

I didn't even realize they had a hockey team.

(thanks for not missing that, and it was absolutely gamesmanship)
27>34