Author Topic: Stanley Cup Picks  (Read 212513 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Stanley Cup Picks
« Reply #315 on: May 11, 2009, 10:27:21 am »
now why would Carolina / Pittsburgh be betting than Boston / Pittsburgh????  
If you're asking why I'd prefer Carolina over Boston in the ECF, it's simple: Chicago, Carolina, and Pittsburgh can't carry Detroit's jockstraps, much less win more than 1 game against them. Boston can. :)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #316 on: May 11, 2009, 10:30:00 am »
So then exactly what is it about Alex that makes you say he has no class or respect for the game? 

hmmmm.....

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/08/ovechkin-goes-knee-to-knee-on-gonchar

I think this hit was way overblown, worthy of the 2 minute minor he received, but barely.  I don't think he was intentionally going for the knee at all.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #317 on: May 11, 2009, 10:36:01 am »
I think this hit was way overblown, worthy of the 2 minute minor he received, but barely.  I don't think he was intentionally going for the knee at all.
I concur. It looks to me like Gonchar tried to move away from the hit, but only shifted his upper body forward. I don't believe for one second that Ovechkin was trying to clip his knee.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #318 on: May 11, 2009, 10:39:43 am »
its a moot point, he wasnt going to get suspended even if it was intentional (not that the rule allows for that) and the pens won the game anyway. useless to complain about be it today or saturday morning. still sucks for the pens that gonchar's out
o/\o

sonickteam2

« Reply #319 on: May 11, 2009, 11:42:03 am »
I concur. It looks to me like Gonchar tried to move away from the hit, but only shifted his upper body forward. I don't believe for one second that Ovechkin was trying to clip his knee.

have you ever played hockey?  its the oldest trick in the book.  kids 12 years old pull that shit. lift your leg off the ice so you can absorb the hit, the guy who still has his foot planted gets the brunt of it.

i'm not saying it doesnt happen 10 times in every game, but its still a shitty play and when someone gets hurt from it, its bring attention to it.   

wasnt as shitty as this play though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgUaKcCB14Y

vansmack

« Reply #320 on: May 11, 2009, 12:00:13 pm »
Ovechkin knew exactly what he was doing.  Sonick is right - every player on the ice knows how dangerous that play is - if they didn't there would be a lot more injuries like Gonchar's.  But Godshoeshine is right - he was never going to get suspended anyway so it's not worth arguing.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #321 on: May 11, 2009, 12:11:09 pm »
3-2 isn't a series, and both of these teams are talented enough to come back from 3-2 down, but man, I'm glad the Wings are up 3-2 instead of down 3-2!! I can sleep easy until Tuesday.

I have a tough time seeing Anaheim winning game 6, let alone game 7.  There was no sense of urgency at all and we are too young to deal with a team like Detroit.  Where Detroit has a lot of late twenty something's, Anaheim is either mid-Thirties or early 20's - there's very little in between.   Anaheim is so dependent on it's first line that any bump in that line and they're very average. 

There is a lot to take from this season though.  I saw a lot from those early 20 something's this season, and with a few cagey front office moves to replace the elder statesman, especially on defense, we'll be back.  And soon.   
27>34

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #322 on: May 11, 2009, 01:04:44 pm »
hm, i took ratbastards quote to say "now we have a (really compelling) series" rather than "now the pens have the series won" but in any event, it is certainly not over

however i like what i saw the past 3 games. other than gonchar's injury

Exactly.  As I aid before, a series doesn't start until a road team wins.  The onus is squarely on the shoulders of the guys in red.  Can they do it?  They have before and from a deeper hole.  Looks like either way we have some good hockey in our future.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #323 on: May 11, 2009, 01:05:31 pm »
hm, i took ratbastards quote to say "now we have a (really compelling) series" rather than "now the pens have the series won" but in any event, it is certainly not over

i thnk thats how he meant it.  which i find funny, that its not a series until his team is up. 

My team was out in the first round.
FUKIT

sonickteam2

« Reply #324 on: May 11, 2009, 01:26:45 pm »

i thnk thats how he meant it.  which i find funny, that its not a series until his team is up. 

My team was out in the first round.

lol. i forgot.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #325 on: May 11, 2009, 02:43:50 pm »
So then exactly what is it about Alex that makes you say he has no class or respect for the game? 

hmmmm.....

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/08/ovechkin-goes-knee-to-knee-on-gonchar

Just watched that video for the first time.  All I can say is that if that was not one of the NHLs golden kids, the player would have been suspended several games.  Anyone who has played the game knows how cheap and intentional that shot was.  Deliberate intent to injure.  All I can say is what I have said before.  Karma is a bitch.  Sooner or later someone will clock that classless bastard and he will be laying on the ice out like a light.  Maybe then he will get a little class, maybe.
FUKIT

Driveway

« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2009, 03:08:41 pm »
You are out of your mind.  Gonchar attempted to miss the hit.  In the process he stuck his knee out.  It's his own fault. 

vansmack

« Reply #327 on: May 11, 2009, 03:32:13 pm »
You are out of your mind.  Gonchar attempted to miss the hit.  In the process he stuck his knee out.  It's his own fault. 

That's a new one for me.  I have yet to hear any one argue that Ovechkin didn't deserve the 2 minute kneeing minor that he received.  Probably because it's such an absurd argument.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #328 on: May 11, 2009, 03:44:00 pm »

That's a new one for me.  I have yet to hear any one argue that Ovechkin didn't deserve the 2 minute kneeing minor that he received.  Probably because it's such an absurd argument.

gonchar should have gotten 2 minutes for diving!

godsshoeshine

« Reply #329 on: May 11, 2009, 03:46:37 pm »
the nerve gonchar has, trying to avoid a cheap shot of passion from ovie. totally deserved it
o/\o