Author Topic: Wilco presale  (Read 39323 times)

hutch

Re: Wilco presale
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2009, 11:10:41 am »
NKOTB I actually am not in love with Wilco or creaming my pants..In fact I got some reservations about the band..

I mean you are complaining about the setlist when there were many new songs?? You complain about just about everything but then "Its my fault"???

Well YEAH DUH Its your fault..

If you'd spent half the time that you spent thinking over your post and typing it out (geez its like a friggin essay!) on planning your trip out to Wolftrap you might have had a good time!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:13:53 am by hutch »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2009, 11:13:56 am »
nkotb, sounds like you made a couple of rookie mistakes. i bitched about rnr hotel last month in the same fashion, so to each their own
o/\o

nkotb

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2009, 11:14:08 am »
NKOTB I actually am not in love with Wilco or creaming my pants

You do love them, you want to marry them and have like 10,000 of their babies.

YOu're just a moron plain and simple

Now that's just mean and I think my mother would respectfully disagree with you.

I mean you are complaining about the setlist when there were many new songs?? You complain about just about everything but then "Its my fault"???

Well YEAH DUH Its your fault..

Right...I know I'm being a prick because the venue rubbed me the wrong way (even though I tried to break through my funk and say it was beautiful and I loved the ability to bring in food and drink).  It's my fault that I held a grudge and ruined my night.  Also, maybe it doesn't help that the new songs aren't that great.  Just sayin'...

heather

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2009, 11:14:29 am »
ugh!  sorry to hear you had such a crappy experience, nkotb.  (and let's be honest, we all do every now & then.)  at least we have ween to look forward to!!!

i had a great time at the show-- the band IS so tight-- but i tend to agree about the setlist.  HOWEVER, i can't explain how thrilled i was to hear "how to fight lonEliness."  i even teared up.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:28:32 pm by heather »

fatskippy

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2009, 11:15:34 am »
Did anyone see the guy with the ski hat, goggles on the hat, a dozen wristbands on each arm and about 10 necklaces?  Hipsters are fucking clowns

nkotb

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2009, 11:16:35 am »
Dude, that was me!

Did anyone see the guy with the ski hat, goggles on the hat, a dozen wristbands on each arm and about 10 necklaces?  Hipsters are fucking clowns

hutch

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2009, 11:23:49 am »
NKOTB I actually am not in love with Wilco or creaming my pants

You do love them, you want to marry them and have like 10,000 of their babies.

Maybe the night of the show at 930 where old 97s opened..back in 99..touring summer teeth.. with jay bennett in the band... maybe then I would have wanted to marry them.. but we'd have divorced when YHF came out...

I've hardly listened to Wilco the past 8 years... The new album I think is good.. underwhelming initially... its an attempt to go back to Summer Teeth...

Its the bitching bout Wolftrap that I just can't take...more than anything its that... I mean there were a lot of people there last night that had never been there before and it was a sold out show (super sold out)... the place strains a bit to meet that scenario... but compared to Nissan its paradise!!!!!!! I mean come on! Lets be real here...

And maybe its because I live in DC but for me getting to Wolftrap compared to Merriweather is so much easier.. I don't have to drive and I can get there in 60 minutes at the most!

Not to mention subsidized ticket prices, getting to bring your own food and beer (its not just that its cheap its that I get to decide what I want to eat and drink!)

Really to whine about wolftrap just demonstrates a lack of appreciation for the finer things in life. I know it sounds harsh but thats the way I see it. Its the equivalent of someone who prefers to eat at McDonalds to Fogo de Chao. Sure, those people exist but come one lets call it what it is.. idiocy.

brennser

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2009, 11:34:55 am »
yes, what an asshat

brennser

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2009, 11:39:50 am »
so I think I fall somewhere in the middle of these opinions on the show - haven't seen Wilco in a loooong time, definitely 5+ years and was tempted by seeing them in a great location like Wolf Trap

the place was PACKED - we ended up on the upper lawn w/ no view of the stage but thats the beauty of Wolf Trap, when the weather is nice you just lie back with your honey and listen to the music

I thought the set list was ok, obviously bands tend to play more stuff from their new(er) albums but I'm an AM, Being There, Summerteeth kinda guy, not in an "I knew them back in the day" way, - I just prefer that sound, especially live

jesus, imagine how pissed off nkotb would have been without a beer!!  ;D

jabella

« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2009, 11:47:27 am »
This forum's got such negative posters.  Wilco is at their peak now as far as putting on a good show.  The setlist was really good IMO - it was nice hearing the new songs.  Tweedy and gang have added some rock star moves to the show, which while kind of cheesy add to the enjoyment of the show.  I have no doubt they know how cheesy it is too - but like I said it's all in fun.  Tweedy interacts pretty naturally with the crowd now.  No problems at all with the venue - parking was very easy to get into and out of, beautiful grounds.  I would've liked a little more volume, but that's just me at about 75% of the shows I go to.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2009, 11:56:09 am »
i remember seeing wilco around 6 years ago and thinking 'too many slow songs'. this time i though they could have played more via chicago types. a minor cpmplaint if even a complaint

i love wolf trap, but we go at least once a year. i've got all of the secrets down
o/\o

eltee

« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2009, 12:00:34 pm »
I know it sounds harsh but thats the way I see it.
Well, yeah, you are really starting to bust his ****s right about now...he had a rough night, he was looking forward to it and was hassled a few times but he tried to remain positive. Maybe, let it go too? I think we're all a little riled up after the "I hate VL" thread or whatever. Just let others vent  in a mature manner when they need. As someone else said, sometimes there are off nights in experience and perspective.

Sorry for your off-night nkotb. Hey, the weather was perfect though!
I have seen Wilco only once, and wasn't that into the performance. (maybe I had an off night too. ;))
Perhaps if you do choose to go to WT again, you know the "ins/outs" it may prove better?
(gods you'll have to share "secrets" with me sometime b/c I'm not one for pkg / volunteer nonsense either)

I do like what I hear from the new album. I haven't listened to much to Conor...any reviews of him?
Also, what were the set times/length?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:03:33 pm by Sugartastic Tee »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2009, 12:05:44 pm »
the first thing is get there early and park in the lot across the street. you get out really fast and yeah you have to walk back, but you can take the golf cart up

ok, thats the second thing after bring your own beer
o/\o

hemisphire

« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2009, 12:15:55 pm »
> I haven't listened to much to Conor...any reviews of him?

I liked him at first, until someone else started to sing and he still wanted to be the center of attention.  Songs sounded good, though.

> Also, what were the set times/length?

Conor on: 7:56, off 8:40
Wilco on: 9:01, off ? (left before end)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2009, 12:25:55 pm »
conor was unbearable..

wilco...well very predictable setlist. I really should have stayed home.

if I have one advice to them: Retire those Yankee songs and play songs from Summerteeth or Being There or even Mermaid Avenue collaborations...surprise me, wilco, surprise me, but you don't ever...except that last 930 club show(s)....

(_|_)