Author Topic: Yet Another Just Announced Commetary Thread  (Read 83692 times)

Relaxer

Re: Yet Another Just Announced Commetary Thread
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2010, 10:13:57 am »
Pitchfork gave it an 8.7 this morning.
Album is okay, its fun at first and then about 10 minutes later I'm ready for something else.
oword

nkotb

« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2010, 10:33:09 am »
That's pretty much what I assumed.  Thanks.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2010, 08:04:01 am »
There is something almost Onionesque about this...

via BBC6Music Twitter feed

Would Led Zeppelin consider replacing U2 at Glastonbury if Bono's back doesn't recover? Jimmy Page on 6 Music: "I never rule anything out."

well now that U2 is out....
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2010, 01:25:46 pm »
Lords of Acid, with My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult (all original members!)
Bourbon Street, Baltimore, MD
Monday, August 2
http://www.sextacyball.com/
http://www.missiontix.com/events/product/9094/sextacy-ball-2010-featuring-lords-of-acid-and-thrill-kill-kult

i'm having flashbacks to a show i saw at the old hammerjacks with that same lineup (i think)

how long ago was that?  was it good?  i've been listening to both bands for a long time, but i've never seen them perform.

i find the "all original members" part strange, since other than groovie and buzz, the kult has been a revolving door of hired musicians on stage.  the only true "original members" are those two, and it isn't the kult unless they're there... so that tag-line seems like a marketing gimmick to me.  i'm assuming it means their first lineup.
<sig>

Got Haggis?

« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2010, 03:39:28 pm »
yeah those are the main two....mainly Charles Levi as well, since he was with them for a long time.  I can't remember when that show was...hammerjacks closed in '97, so maybe 93 or 94?

i feel like TKK have never been good live, always seemed to be lip syncing and not really playing.

lords of acid definitely weren't really playing their instruments, but the singer was nice to look at, heh.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2010, 06:09:59 pm »

Would Led Zeppelin consider replacing U2 at Glastonbury if Bono's back doesn't recover? Jimmy Page on 6 Music: "I never rule anything out."

newp - gorillaz.  sry :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8706700.stm
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2010, 09:12:06 am »
I think that's what makes it so awesome, especially with TMUP...the posting is so infrequent, and then BAM...awesome rant about something left field.  Don't think I don't remember that Van Halen rant from a few years back  ;)

Dude, you and Redsock have the weirdest shit that sets you off.  I generally know, if there's a Thousand Made-Up Loves post, its gonna be passionate, batshit crazy, and awesome to read.

Batshit? What!! Don't be talking shit about Bat for Lashes around here!!

But seriously, what else sets me off? I'm a pretty low-key intermittent poster around these parts.

bearman🐻

« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2010, 10:30:33 am »
As for Belle and Sebastian, a couple nights before the MPP show, they played at the Hollywood Bowl  with the LA Philharmonic and I was there. To describe it as epic doesn't even begin to do it justice. The band were in top form, the show was totally sold out, and it was a very special kind of night. It started off like Beethoven and everyone was polite, clapped and were on good behavior, but by the end people were going absolutely bonkers. At one point Stuart ran up into the crowd and then people were literally running down the aisles, dancing, climbing on the partion in front the stage, and the band was TOTALLY into it. There was a stage invasion and the Philharmonic musicians were scrambling to protect their instruments. It was hilarious. I think that following a show like that (which they stated firmly was a career highlight), the MPP show may have seemed like the inevitable comedown. How does one compare the 2 shows? They're still one of the most consistent live bands I've seen, and I've seen them probably close to a dozen times.

bearman🐻

« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2010, 10:34:08 am »
Actually the B&S MPP show was pretty Meh, even Stuart thought so, but the 9:30 shows prior that were great.  Totally dug their last album, it was nice to hear some of the bands other influences besides Felt and Nick Drake.

I can see how their amphitheater show would have a tough time living up to their 9:30 shows, but the setlist was incredible, the place was packed and we had driven in from Michigan the day before to meet up with friends in Baltimore. Aside from Stuart going Axl Rose, it would have been hard pressed for me not to enjoy the show. And being close enough to shake Stuart's hand was pretty incredible. Christ, they even played the Model.

The five songs I really, really want to hear next time around:

Seeing Other People
I Love My Car
Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner
There's Too Much Love
Rollercoaster Ride

I've seen them do SOP, LOAMDR and TTML, but to my knowledge they never play ILMC or RR. It'll be interesting to see what they dig out on the coming tour. I never, ever get tired of hearing them play "Sleep the Clock Around". I saw them at the Tower Theater in Philly and this beefy jock got up on stage, took his shirt off and began to swing it around like a Chippendale. The security wanted to kick him off but Stuart insisted that he stay and dance and the band were laughing so hard they could barely play.

hutch

« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2010, 11:05:21 am »
Glad people love B&S.

FOr me the great B&S was Tigermilk, IF You're Feeling SInister and Boy with the arab strap (and the 4 early singles).. That stuff is superb.... They were on a roll that I had not seen since The Smiths...This was some very important music to me.

AFter that their music turned to boring crap....except for "I Fought in a War"

Its just an opinion but at least to me it was heartbreaking to see the way it unraveled. Stuart Murdoch letting the other members write songs was just a terrible idea.

I pretty much stopped following them.

bearman🐻

« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2010, 11:10:42 am »
I'm adding my B&S comments over to the Just Announced Commentary FYI, in an effort to keep Kosmo and other folks happy since not everyone appreciates geeky Scottish indie rock (although I'm pretty sure Kosmo does).

Anyone else catch B&S at the OLD Black Cat?  ;)  DAR shows are for suckers!!

Yup...I saw them at the Metro in Chicago and it was a very lackluster show. It was the first after Isobel had been "sick". During Momus, the opening band, she was sitting behind me in the balcony and I asked her if I bought her a drink, would she put me on the guest list for DC? She was very sweet and said of course. So the afternoon of the Black Cat show, I was tooling around 16th Street and ran into Stuart and Isobel. They seemed to be having a very intense discussion, but I gave them some directions and sure enough that night Isobel had take care of me. It was a phenomenal show, blew away the Chicago one. Wasn't it close to Halloween and some of the band members were wearing costumey type get-ups? I seem to remember Isobel wearing tiger ears and she had her face painted with whiskers.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2010, 11:56:17 am »
TWEE AS FUCK
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2010, 04:49:06 pm »
Glad people love B&S.

FOr me the great B&S was Tigermilk, IF You're Feeling SInister and Boy with the arab strap (and the 4 early singles).. That stuff is superb.... They were on a roll that I had not seen since The Smiths...This was some very important music to me.

AFter that their music turned to boring crap....except for "I Fought in a War"

Its just an opinion but at least to me it was heartbreaking to see the way it unraveled. Stuart Murdoch letting the other members write songs was just a terrible idea.

I pretty much stopped following them.

I feel the opposite way.  I got the earlier stuff when it came out but I have liked each album better than the one before it.  I think the 3 newest ones are masterpieces.  The early ones I don't even listen to anymore.   

atomicfront

« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2010, 04:51:20 pm »

Yeah Robert Plant is the one that will be hard to convince. 

walkonby

« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2010, 04:52:07 pm »
i've never even listened to a single note of a single song by belle and sebastian . . . but just the name alone leads me to believe that they would not be enjoyed by me.  how one sided of the fence i am.