Author Topic: OFFICIAL Virgin Mobile FREEFEST 2009 Q/A - Hype Thread! REVISED  (Read 345452 times)

Re: OFFICIAL Virgin Mobile Fest 2009 Lineup Predictions!
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 02:18:13 pm »
Faith No More is right up there with My Bloody Valentine for bands whose small  but rabid cadre of remaining fans think that everyone is apeshit for their band, when in reality we're not.

They would really sell a shitload of tickets to a large festival? Really?

sonickteam2

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 02:20:33 pm »
what do you really care anyway?

eros

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2009, 02:21:25 pm »
Are we sure it's going to be Merriweather?  Doesn't Seth have arrangements/partnerships with other venues?  I'm thinking Bull Run for one.

How about Lake Fairfax?  I know they had Lollapalooza there way back when....

Nothing against MPP, it's a great venue...just doesn't lend itself well to a festival.
ʎɐʍou

imbecile

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2009, 02:37:47 pm »
Faith No More is right up there with My Bloody Valentine for bands whose small  but rabid cadre of remaining fans think that everyone is apeshit for their band, when in reality we're not.

Depends on your definition of shitload.  It is a relative term afterall.  So yeah, relative to a lot of the names that are being tossed around, factoring in they've flat-out said they aren't going to do any american festivals, I do believe that a shitload of people would by a ticket to this festival purely because Faith No More was playing it, if they were to show up.

Any other questions?

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2009, 02:46:55 pm »
That's your evidence? Ok, i'll say no more.

So yeah, relative to a lot of the names that are being tossed around, factoring in they've flat-out said they aren't going to do any american festivals,
Any other questions?

imbecile

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2009, 03:10:56 pm »
Ha, evidence?  I've got none of that, I'll give you that. 

I can see I'm going to need even more qualifiers to wiggle my way out of saying they'd sell a shload of tickets. 

First off, I wouldn't pay festival prices to see Faith No More, so I'm not sure why I'm even trying to make this argument for them.  The only band I'm that big of a homer for is Hum, who fit the exact scenario you mentioned.. fans who think they're band is big enough that everyone cares, but everyone really doesn't.  I at least realize Hum would probably only sell about 3 to 4 thousand tickets if that, to a huge festival.

Faith No More certainly wouldn't be a headliner and won't draw that level of people.  They'd draw on the same level I believe Iggy and the Stooges did last year (coincidentally, the only reason I went to V-Fest last year).  But yeah, I'm fairly certain that as a mid-level band, playing a few slots before the headliners, they'd sell a good deal more tickets than the percentages indicate a band in that slot should.

Okay, a shitload of tickets.. maybe an exaggeration when you're thinking in the context of the entire festival.  But I firmly believe they'd sell their fare share and then some.

Fair enough?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:13:28 pm by imbecile »

Davyboy

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2009, 03:13:25 pm »

There's that Dbagness we all come to know and not love from Charlie.. Your taste in music and bands is far more superior than everyone else. Congrats yet again.

They would def help sell the festival because they do have a very rabid following. How large or small I have no idea but rabid I am certain.  I also really think they would and add a really nice texture to what I hope is going to be a really well rounded mish mosh of bands.  I'm sure they would also kick much ass live. Not that is matters as stated before they have said they will not play US festivals but if anyone can convince them I'm sure Seth would be the man.

sonickteam2

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2009, 03:21:33 pm »

Okay, a shitload of tickets.. maybe an exaggeration when you're thinking in the context of the entire festival.  But I firmly believe they'd sell their fare share and then some.

Fair enough?

dude, dont cave to your original statement cause some over the hill suburban dad who likes country music said you were wrong!  he's not going, nor does he know enough people to have any idea how many people would buy a ticket cause of a certain band

(though i do agree FNM would not do much for selling tickets. either would OLP who i am sincerely hoping to see on the bill, but doubt i will)

imbecile

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2009, 03:25:53 pm »

Fair enough?

dude, dont cave to your original statement cause some over the hill suburban dad who likes country music said you were wrong!  he's not going, nor does he know enough people to have any idea how many people would buy a ticket cause of a certain band

(though i do agree FNM would not do much for selling tickets. either would OLP who i am sincerely hoping to see on the bill, but doubt i will)

Suburban?  Eww, I'm sorry.  No wonder he's so angsty.

I retract my retraction:  FNM will, regardless of your definition, sell a shitload of tickets if invited!

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2009, 03:27:11 pm »
Hey Boy,

Why does my having an opinion that differs from yours constitute me being a d-bag?

I have a friend who flew halfway across the county to see Better Than Ezra. You could make a claim that most any band has a small but rabid following.

Are they really in any positition for Seth to have to go grovelling to get them to play? They were never very popular for very long, and are irrelevant at best now. They're only a small step above playing state fairs, double billing with Smashmouth. Seth: I say skip them and get somebody either more now or more classic.  :P

There's that Dbagness we all come to know and not love from Charlie.. Your taste in music and bands is far more superior than everyone else. Congrats yet again.

They would def help sell the festival because they do have a very rabid following. How large or small I have no idea but rabid I am certain.  I also really think they would and add a really nice texture to what I hope is going to be a really well rounded mish mosh of bands.  I'm sure they would also kick much ass live. Not that is matters as stated before they have said they will not play US festivals but if anyone can convince them I'm sure Seth would be the man.

Davyboy

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2009, 03:35:32 pm »
Charlie Douchebag japanese golfer..

There is nothing wrong with an opinion, I just notice you go out of your way to express yours in as negative way as possible, HENCE you are a DOUCHEBAG.

It's cool, The world needs douchebags, Just accept what you are and own it man. That's all I'm sayin. I question why your even looking at this thread? I'm pretty sure you think your way too cool to attend one of these 'sell out fests' anyways right?

I'm done with the bashing and apologize to anyone I may have offended. Just pointing out the obvious. Back on topic now I promise.

Hey Boy,

Why does my having an opinion that differs from yours constitute me being a d-bag?

I have a friend who flew halfway across the county to see Better Than Ezra. You could make a claim that most any band has a small but rabid following.

Are they really in any positition for Seth to have to go grovelling to get them to play? They were never very popular for very long, and are irrelevant at best now. They're only a small step above playing state fairs, double billing with Smashmouth. Seth: I say skip them and get somebody either more now or more classic.  :P

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2009, 03:42:48 pm »
Davyboy, don't take it personally. You see his post count under his name, with 17,000+ posts? I know you're new, but you'll soon come to see that easily 16,900 of those are him being a douchebag. Thats what he is, the resident contrarian, douchebag. He literally once wrote a negative review of a show it was later proven he did not attend. Its just Nakatestes being Nakatestes.

That said, he's probably right that not more than 4,000-5,000 people would come for FNM. I never understood the appeal of any of Patton's bands.

sonickteam2

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 03:55:00 pm »
not only that, but the majority of people i know who are infatuated with Mike Patton (which includes 1 old hippie and 4 tattoo artists) would probably not even go to the festival even if they were playing, cause they totally arent about that scene.  and if they did go, they would go, stay for FNM and leave.

when are we getting details about this anyway? seth?

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 03:55:51 pm »
Julie,

Thank you for all of your compliments, now go home and lay your teenage girlfriend.

They'd draw 4000-5000 fans to a summer festival, fans who otherwise wouldn't go? If that's the case, i'd say go ahead and book them.

Would they even draw that many to a headlining gig at Patriot Center or DAR? And if they did, you have to figure a number of those people would drop out if it meant having to pay bigger bucks to see them at a festival.

Charlie

PS: sonic is right, i don't really care. then again, i'm sure hailf the people who have posted on this thread probably don't really care. If the festival was under $30 and featured some bands i liked, then i'd care. maybe this will be there year those things happen.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 03:59:23 pm »
They'd draw 4000-5000 fans to a summer festival, fans who otherwise wouldn't go? If that's the case, i'd say go ahead and book them.
As part of a larger tour? No. If it was their only American date? Yes.