Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3183685 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9915 on: July 13, 2020, 01:56:37 pm »
I remember the local Whole Foods in SF used to get Russian river stuff pretty regularly and it was fresh

last time i had pliny was in SF - got some on tap at the toronado and in bottles at the WF down the hill from smax's.  stuff was like 2 days old.

Some people call that a barleywine.

ugh, agreed, but those people don't know what they're talking about ;D

didn't have the malt to be a barleywine.  this was oxidized hops and that's pretty much it.
<sig>

challenged

• Instagram
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:08:20 am by challenged »

Space Freely

« Reply #9919 on: August 12, 2020, 03:19:13 pm »
I actually went to their upstate location in July. Great place. Everything was outdoors and distanced. They only had three taps going and were selling mostly cans for onsite consumption.

I don't think the Brooklyn taproom is open. I wonder if this one will really open in October. I'd be fine with just grabbing cans at Downtown Crown indefinitely.

Copied from Beer Advocate:

Award-Winning Brooklyn-Based Brewery Plans Taproom & Production Facility

Brooklyn, NY (August 12, 2020) – Other Half Brewing co-founders Andrew Burman, Matt Monahan and Sam Richardson are thrilled to announce the October 2020 opening of the brewery’s Ivy City taproom & production facility at 1401 Okie Street NE, Washington, DC, 20002, in the former Pappas Tomato Factory building.

Other Half Brewing will help anchor the new Ivy City retail center neighboring the Hecht Warehouse with a 22,000-square foot production facility and taproom, including a 7,500-square foot outdoor patio with covered pavilion and roof deck and 5,000-square foot indoor tasting and taproom.

Other Half is scheduled to start brewing beer on-site in late September, with initial plans to offer curbside pick-up and delivery. The taproom will offer 20 lines of Other Half beer on draft, as well as limited collaborations from brewers and vintners from around the country and world. In addition, the brewery program will focus on award-winning hazy IPAs, lagers and barrel-aged stouts, as well as special release, limited-edition collaboration beers with eye-catching label art.

“Andrew and I grew up in the D.C. area, and we are honored to open a brewery in our hometown and join the Beltway’s amazing beer scene,” says co-founder Matt Monahan. “We’ve long admired D.C.’s dynamic brewing community and look forward to sharing our beers with guests and to collaborating with some of the world’s best brewers who call D.C. home,” says co-founder Andrew Burman.

“This is the first brewery we built to meet all our specific needs from the start,” says co-founder Sam Richardson. “We’re excited to bring our IPAs – what Other Half is known for – to D.C., but with this purpose-built brewery, we will be able to develop a more robust, barrel-aged Imperial Stout and barley wine program and the larger tanks will allow us to brew more lagers.”

Space Freely

« Reply #9920 on: August 24, 2020, 10:14:37 am »
Beer highlights of our New England vacation:

1. Cantillon Classic Geuze and assorted Tree House beers at former boardies Markie and Lulu's house. In case you're lurking here...thanks so much again and great to see you, wish we could have stayed longer for more fun!

2. Trillium Canton..nice outdoor dining experience, though none of the beers truly stood out.

3. Maine Beer Company Dinner. I've had it here, but it was extra good at the source, paired with some tasty pizza for dinner.

4. Oxbow Aboreal....bottle of wild ale at the original Oxbow location in Newcastle. Definitely worth the drive over country roads to get to such a peaceful, scenic stop. Also went to their Portland location where you can get some awesome Duckfat Frites (minor cheat.)

5. Odd Aleswives...nice Belgian brewery in rural Maine with good pizza and lovely outdoor farm location...not far from Oxbow, making it a one two punch, excellent pizza.

6. Bissell Brothers Maple Barrel Aged Porter and Fox Farms Freckled Fields (saison) at Novare Res Bier Cafe (while huddled under a beer garden umbrella during a thunderstorm.

7. Not a beer highlight, but lots of lobster rolls. I return quite a bit poorer.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9921 on: August 24, 2020, 10:48:20 am »

2. Trillium Canton..nice outdoor dining experience, though none of the beers truly stood out.

3. Maine Beer Company Dinner. I've had it here, but it was extra good at the source, paired with some tasty pizza for dinner.

7. Not a beer highlight, but lots of lobster rolls. I return quite a bit poorer.

Nice write up.

Is that to say the Trillium beers were boring?  Or uniformly great?

Were the Maine beers draft or bottle?  I was recently given a kegerator and the 1/6 keg selection is lacking.  Maine is a choice, but I wonder how their beers hold up as drafts vs bottles.

God, I love lobster rolls.  I've had all of one this summer. That's pathetic.

Space Freely

« Reply #9922 on: August 24, 2020, 11:23:59 am »

Nice write up.

Is that to say the Trillium beers were boring?  Or uniformly great?

Were the Maine beers draft or bottle?  I was recently given a kegerator and the 1/6 keg selection is lacking.  Maine is a choice, but I wonder how their beers hold up as drafts vs bottles.

God, I love lobster rolls.  I've had all of one this summer. That's pathetic.

Trillium had a pretty limited draft selection. For IPAs, they only had two on draft...both were triple IPA's. One was a Monkish collaboration. We had them both and i suppose they are good for what they were, but a little harsh for my current palate..prefer the 6-8% abv range. I think we also had some sort of fruited sour, which was good, but not nearly as good as the Mortalis sours sitting in my fridge. :)

We had Maine Lunch and Dinner on draft at the source, then another Dinner on draft at Novare Res. All excellent. I haven't had any of their bottles in a long time, so can't compare. I almost got some bottles of Dinner but held back because I already had (cheaper) cans of Tree House, Trillium, and Bissell Brothers in the car.

My kid would eat lobster roll at every meal for a week straight if we let her.

Yada

« Reply #9923 on: August 24, 2020, 12:33:57 pm »
Not nearly as exciting as Space's NE journey, we went to Lone Oak Brewery yesterday.

Absolutely gorgeous and better beer than Waredaca which is right up the road from them.... I hope they can survive as they opened in June.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9924 on: August 24, 2020, 04:46:44 pm »
Lone Oak’s IPAs are ok. Didn’t enjoy their lager (Xylem) at all. A nice spot with tons of room tho.

Was back at Checkerspot this weekend. Much better than my first trip - thought the beers were consistently meh that time.

« Reply #9926 on: September 03, 2020, 07:17:05 pm »

Total wine and wegmans
slack

christwilliam

Research Essay Help
« Reply #9927 on: October 08, 2020, 01:14:07 pm »
Many times students require Research essay help in order to submit their assignments on time. Total assignment help can provide you the essay help you need so you submit your essays before deadline and get the best grades as well.

Re: Research Essay Help
« Reply #9928 on: October 08, 2020, 01:26:29 pm »
Many times students require Research essay help in order to submit their assignments on time. Total assignment help can provide you the essay help you need so you submit your essays before deadline and get the best grades as well.
That was a mean rick-roll...here I thought someone new was posting on beer...shame on me
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9929 on: October 08, 2020, 01:37:32 pm »
yeah, i got momentarily excited too.

i'm drinking probably more beer than ever, but i've retreated to my old standbys.  i'm mainlining Georgetown's Bodhizafa like it's my business.  i'm only buying from the grocery store, none of this hunting around for something special or rare.  and i'm perfectly ok with that, these days.
<sig>