Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3218322 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9930 on: October 08, 2020, 02:11:50 pm »
Still working on cleaning out the Tree House, Trillium, an Bissell Brothers IPAs from my beer fridge. And the Mortalis fruited sours I picked up in two visits to my family. And drinking the occasional stout. That's all I got.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9931 on: October 08, 2020, 02:18:21 pm »
I, too, have tired of chasing the latest (but only momentarily) greatest. Also tiring of juice bombs. Only have a few Other Half IPAs left to plow through.

Recently had a friend give me his kegerator. T think this will be the path forward this fall and winter. Sadly, many local breweries have stopped distributing kegs as they aren’t as profitable as cans and drafts.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9932 on: October 08, 2020, 06:29:39 pm »
Recently had a friend give me his kegerator. T think this will be the path forward this fall and winter. Sadly, many local breweries have stopped distributing kegs as they aren’t as profitable as cans and drafts.

if the mountain won't come to mohammed, bring mohammed to the mountain: if the breweries have stopped stoking your local keg-mart, then go straight to the brewery.  simply ask them if they'll fill a keg for you.  several breweries around here will do that, even though they don't advertise it.  typically you need to drop off the keg and then pick up a few days later as they'll get around to filling it when they have time.

breweries are having problems finding enough outlets for their beer.  i'd expect many to be very receptive to your offer of taking 5 gallons off their hands.  worth looking into. 
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9933 on: October 09, 2020, 08:50:12 am »
Fair point. I inquired about Burley Oak - figured I might as well swing for the fences.

I did talk to one of the guys at Sapwood and he said they have only twice sold kegs. Total Wine seems to have Union and Hysteria regularly so maybe they have some pull with other locals.

Space Freely

« Reply #9934 on: October 09, 2020, 09:18:37 am »
Anybody has any Elder Pine? They seem to really have stepped up their game. Making my first brewery visit there tomorrow after a morning hike.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9935 on: October 09, 2020, 09:56:39 am »
Elder Pine has been hit or miss for me - the hits are really good, though. Really nice spot, too.

The last time we went late on a Friday and they were out of IPAs. Never a good thing.

Space Freely

« Reply #9936 on: October 11, 2020, 02:14:55 pm »
Elder Pine has been hit or miss for me - the hits are really good, though. Really nice spot, too.

The last time we went late on a Friday and they were out of IPAs. Never a good thing.

Drove all the way there, wife got carsick from the country roads, and they said they were filled to capacity so better try some other place. We went to Downtown Crown and got a Cushwa DIPA and a Bourbon County.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9937 on: October 11, 2020, 03:29:30 pm »
Sorry to hear that.

Kudos to them for sticking to their limits tho.

Space Freely

« Reply #9938 on: October 11, 2020, 03:34:54 pm »
Sorry to hear that.

Kudos to them for sticking to their limits tho.

Thanks and yes, kudos to them.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9939 on: October 12, 2020, 10:38:50 pm »
AstroLab has been absolutely crushing it lately. Verrry happy to be within their delivery zone :)

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9940 on: October 13, 2020, 09:33:04 am »
What’s new there?

Best brewery in Silver Spring. Walking distance to my office but I haven’t been there in going on 7 months.

shemptiness

« Reply #9941 on: October 13, 2020, 09:58:55 am »

Drove all the way there, wife got carsick from the country roads, and they said they were filled to capacity so better try some other place. We went to Downtown Crown and got a Cushwa DIPA and a Bourbon County.

You should have checked out Lone Oak or Brookeville Beer Farm, which are close by.

K8teebug

« Reply #9942 on: October 13, 2020, 10:30:46 am »
AstroLab has been absolutely crushing it lately. Verrry happy to be within their delivery zone :)

Agree. Been drinking their Gravitas Rainbow.

Also loving Cushwa and Nepenthe.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9943 on: October 13, 2020, 12:05:19 pm »
You should have checked out Lone Oak or Brookeville Beer Farm, which are close by.

Can’t imagine Lone Oak ever meeting a capacity limit.

BBF has really fallen off lately.

I want to get back to Saints Row and True Reapite at some point.

Would like to hit up Nepenthe and that Celebrated Summer Record shop too.

Space Freely

« Reply #9944 on: October 13, 2020, 01:14:22 pm »
I wasn't a big fan of BBF beers when i went a couple of years ago. Maybe a tad better than Waredeca. I've heard of Lone Oak and Nepenthe but had to look up where they're actually located just now.