Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182049 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9240 on: April 12, 2019, 03:26:34 pm »
The RAR sounds great. Habanero beers are yucky.

I'm allergic to mango but have had beers with mango with no issue

Generally agree with you on the habanero. I only had a sample, but it seemed like it was light on the habanero, which was a good thing.

I've never been a fan of mangoes per se, but I'm finding i like it in my beer, popsicles, and orange juice.

« Reply #9241 on: April 12, 2019, 03:30:14 pm »
I've never been a fan of mangoes per se, but I'm finding i like it in my beer, popsicles, and orange juice.
I love them in my Salsa or Mango Chutney
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9242 on: April 12, 2019, 03:37:57 pm »
the problem with 95% of hot pepper beers is that they are made as a novelty, as opposed to being a tasty beer.  habaneros are gross when eaten straight, but are delicious when used correctly as part of a recipe.  same can be said of habanero beers: make it overtly spicy and it's gross, but add just a little heat so that you're left wondering at the aftertaste "hey, is that pepper in the finish?!?" and it can be a real treat. 

it's a specific case of the general rule for adding weird stuff to beer:  it should taste like beer, first, with a little weird stuff; not weird stuff that tastes a little like beer.

a really spicy beer would do well at a hot sauce convention because people are there for the heat.  but most beer drinkers want to drink a beer.  the weird stuff shouldn't get in the way of mission #1.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9243 on: April 12, 2019, 03:38:26 pm »
I love them in my Salsa or Mango Chutney

Me too. I guess in reality the only time mango doesn't entirely work for me is the fruit alone itself. At least I'm not allergic to it.

Space Freely

« Reply #9244 on: April 13, 2019, 08:56:17 pm »
Never expected to see a collaboration between Other Half and Genesee.

https://untappd.com/b/other-half-brewing-co-genny-dream-ale/3134569

« Reply #9245 on: April 15, 2019, 09:06:02 am »
after years of studies coming up with interesting angles on how drinking is actually good for you
now this  https://www.thisisinsider.com/theres-no-safe-amount-of-alcohol-stroke-risk-2019-4

of the studies i read (or read about), it's never the alcohol that is beneficial - it's the antioxidants in the wine, the hop compounds in the beer, etc.  it's the "other things" in the beverage, not the alcohol itself.

so we need new studies: are the other benefits in alcoholic drinks greater than the detrimental effects of the associated alcohol?

gawd i hope so, 'cause damn i'm screwed otherwise.
screw science...I have evidence!

102-Year-Old Woman Says Drinking Beer Is the Secret to Long Life

on a actual beer related note
I dusted off the bike and went to the Stillwater Preternatural Cuvée Meet & Greet W/ Brian Strumke at the Soverign  (neither met nor gret as I arrived at 4)

While I liked this
Preternatural Cuvée 1 - Blended, Barrel-Aged Farmhouse Ale with Sauvignon Blanc
Aged 3 years in French & Hungarian Oak / 2 years bottle conditioning - light carbonation | 9.2%

Kinda just tasted like a light cider and wouldn't probably get again

This was very good: Searching For... (Oak BA Stout w/ Sangiovese Grapes)

This also was very interesting...super light and hop smell off the charts, but not a pallet buster
FLOORED NELSON - Pen Druid Collab w/ The Veil Brewing.
Coolshipped hoppy farmhouse N/A IBU  (is that weird? definitely had zero bitterness)

I did get this for GOT watching

Murder of Crows - Reaver Beach Brewing Company
...little boozy, but loved the taste

VA beach is having a Renaissance with beer as of late!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:34:19 am by Sïdehätch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #9246 on: April 15, 2019, 12:44:48 pm »
snobby bartenders have always been my bane...now they are on notice

bar where you serve your self by Nats Park opened this weekend...not a horrible tap list
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9247 on: April 15, 2019, 12:47:37 pm »
This also was very interesting...super light and hop smell off the charts, but not a pallet buster
FLOORED NELSON - Pen Druid Collab w/ The Veil Brewing.
Coolshipped hoppy farmhouse N/A IBU  (is that weird? definitely had zero bitterness)

nope, not weird.  zero IBUs, or single-digit IBUs, are very typical of coolship beers.  one of the reasons you normally want IBUs is that they prevent beer from going sour: lactobacillus, a souring bacteria, is inhibited by just a few IBUs. 

but in case case of a coolship beer, or any sour beer, you want lacto to provide sourness - so you cut down, or cut out, the bittering.  another approach is to use aged hops where the alpha acids (which get isomerized into bitterness) have faded.

edit: just noticed on the Wit The Funk page: IBU = 0
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:56:51 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9248 on: April 15, 2019, 12:50:50 pm »
snobby bartenders have always been my bane...now they are on notice

bar where you serve your self by Nats Park opened this weekend...not a horrible tap list

i got a 4-pack of Wit the Funk and i gotta say, it's a daaaaamn fine funky sour.  recommended.  i need to get back to that Total Wine and grab some more.

nice beer spot, excellent selection for a ballpark.  i'd be there every other inning, to the exclusion of any other beer vendor.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:53:50 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

« Reply #9249 on: April 15, 2019, 01:04:09 pm »
not actually in Nats park

Adjacent to Nationals Park at the intersection of South Capitol and N st SE
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9250 on: April 15, 2019, 01:13:48 pm »
well dammit.  i should have known it was too good to be true...

so what's the consensus on best beer inside the park these days? 
<sig>

« Reply #9251 on: April 15, 2019, 04:12:06 pm »
Merdian Pint coming out to Arlington!
https://www.arlnow.com/2018/10/18/meridian-pint-aims-to-open-first-arlington-location-in-dominion-hills-by-spring-2019/
in the Dominion Hills Centre shopping plaza.
wait...didn't realize they were closing the DC location to open this one
Just went there for the first time last month...least the new one is close to Hutch and I
https://dcist.com/story/19/04/15/like-a-friend-who-just-had-a-kid-meridian-pint-is-moving-to-arlington/
“final Easter Brunch on Sunday, April 21st, 2019 then permanently close at 4pm.”

in better news...they are rebuilding the Powhattan springs skate park across the street
The Powhatan Springs Skate Park ...hopefully opening in spring 2019
I've not actually put urethane to cement yet...but it's done
looks pretty rad to me

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9252 on: April 22, 2019, 01:54:28 pm »
Also, took a gamble on Sapwood today... I think you may have mentioned a long time ago that was your buddy, I split the sour club with a few folks.

NICE!  please please report back on their offerings.  i'd sign up for their club in a heartbeat if i could.

i know both guys behind the project - Mike, who literally wrote the book on american sours, and Scott, AKA Mr. Hop Science.  those two have forgotten more about making good beer than most folks will ever learn.  if their commercial output is anything like their homebrews, y'all in for a treat.

Sapwood is now open: Thur & Fri 4-10 PM, Sat Noon-10 PM. 

looking forward to reading a review (Space, you need to actually visit the place first).   

for the anoraks: blog post about brewing their APA

Finally made it to Sapwood on Saturday. We had to tack on 40 minutes of driving to accommodate a stop there....and damn, it was well work it. Their beers are fire. We also hit Monocacy in Frederick...quite respectable but not in the same league as Sapwood.

Space Freely

« Reply #9253 on: April 22, 2019, 01:55:29 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9254 on: April 22, 2019, 02:41:41 pm »
looking forward to reading a review (Space, you need to actually visit the place first).   

Finally made it to Sapwood on Saturday. We had to tack on 40 minutes of driving to accommodate a stop there....and damn, it was well work it. Their beers are fire.

nice!  and: jealous!  Sapwwod is rockin' a 4.28 on BA, so looks like they're doing something right :)  what did you have?

We also hit Monocacy in Frederick...quite respectable but not in the same league as Sapwood.

i had Monocacy once on tap, an IPA - it was fine.

if you're ever in Fredneck again, check out Idiom Brewing Co.  they just released a pineapple and mango sour which is getting rave reviews, and are about to package a barrel-aged old ale that i'd love to try.
<sig>