Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181112 times)

lily1

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9345 on: June 17, 2019, 05:21:10 pm »
Thanks for the tip!

Sorry. I haven't been to Milwaukee. Do they even make beer there?

When I want to figure out a couple of breweries to visit in an unfamiliar city, I google "Beer Advocate+ city name." that gives you a list of all the beer spots in the city.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/34/

The breweries are listed in order based upon how well their beers have been rated. So I'd work my way from the top down, seeing which ones are geographically feasible.

« Reply #9346 on: June 20, 2019, 09:22:52 am »
LoCo beer week
More than 30 breweries along the LoCo Ale Trail will be featuring events, beer releases and specials in their tasting room to celebrate LoCo Beer Week. 
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9347 on: June 23, 2019, 11:10:47 am »
If Jules was a beer writer: MI MI MI.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/2019/06/23/craft-beer-michigan-detroit-free-press/1502890001/

I hope his call for more breweries to clearly show the born on/bottled on date is headed. No, "best before" does NOT cut it.
<sig>

« Reply #9348 on: June 26, 2019, 03:42:33 pm »
get yer votes in
https://www.northernvirginiamag.com/beer-2019
Battle of the Brews
slack

« Reply #9349 on: June 27, 2019, 01:00:34 pm »
Sweet image for a sk8 related brew
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9350 on: July 06, 2019, 03:02:04 am »
Crashing at a certain SF-based long-time boardee's pad. Fridge stocked with:
- Lost Abbey: Red Poppy
- RR: Pliney
- RR: Blind Pig

Filed a formal compliant because the Pliney was 4 - count'em, FOUR - days old. Sheesh.
<sig>

« Reply #9351 on: July 09, 2019, 12:00:10 pm »
umm...just saw something on Aslin's Instagram....Soft Opening in Alexandria!

unrelated...but a brewery named after a label know for straight edge
Founders of New York’s Foreign Objects Beer launch Discord Beer Co., focused on sour IPAs

later they released this
statement from the Discord Beer team on the subject.

“The Discord image in question was created for Instagram as an homage to Dischord Records. It was never intended for widespread use such as a part of a press release. To cease all confusion we have removed the image.” — Discord Beer Team

this is their logo

Jez, showed up at my boat with Narragansett or Coors Light...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:00:58 pm by Schmolls-Hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9352 on: July 09, 2019, 01:24:48 pm »

buying for someone else vs. buying for himself...
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9353 on: July 09, 2019, 03:39:19 pm »
Is that handle of Belvidere still there?
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9354 on: July 09, 2019, 03:51:07 pm »
could have gone under "Belly up, fired, and retired" too:

TO: Friends of Mad Fox Brewing Company
SUBJECT:: Mad Fox Brewing Company Closure
SENT: July 9, 2019

Friends, Patrons and Supporters,

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I inform you of the closure of Mad Fox Brewing Company. Our last day of business will be Sunday, July 21st.

The decision to close has been an extremely difficult one to make. We have witnessed restaurant competition in the 2.2 square mile Falls Church City become fierce since our opening in 2010 with multiple businesses opening in the last year alone. As much as we tried to compete, there are an overwhelming number of choices for the local population. Sales have been on a slow decline over the last several years and, unfortunately, staying open is no longer sustainable.

On the brewing side of our business we continue to see more breweries opening in Virginia with two new Taprooms setting up shop within a mile of Mad Fox in the last year. When we opened in 2010, there were 40 breweries in Virginia. Now there are close to 250. The Brewpub business model is a tough one to maintain compared to a Brewery Taproom with little overhead, lower rents and outsourced food trucks. Our draw from the surrounding areas has dwindled in what has become an extremely competitive craft beer market, which has resulted in this final decision.

We attempted to work with our Bank and our Landlord for more favorable terms and while both were willing, we ultimately could not come to agreement that would allow Mad Fox to be break even or better.

We plan a closure date of Sunday, July 21st; however, we plan to continue with our 9 year Anniversary Party on Saturday, 13 July to honor you, our investors, our staff and the Falls Church Community. Words cannot express how proud I am of the Mad Fox legacy and the opportunity to be a member of such a wonderful community, if even for a short while. We opened the first brewpub in the City of Falls Church and have won numerous medals at the Great American Beer Festival as well as the Virginia Beer Cup. We have celebrated christenings, birthdays, weddings, retirements and many holiday gatherings. You, our guests, along with our spectacular Mad Fox team have enabled us to build tremendous notoriety over 9 years in business. I thank you for allowing Mad Fox to be a part of your lives. Thank you for your years of support and I hope to see you at the Pub in the coming weeks.

Sincerely,

Bill Madden
CEO and Executive Brewer, Mad Fox Brewing Company
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9355 on: July 09, 2019, 03:53:48 pm »
Aslin taproom, soft opening...7/15(?)

hutch

« Reply #9356 on: July 09, 2019, 04:14:59 pm »
That sucks...we have gone there about 20 times...

« Reply #9357 on: July 09, 2019, 04:42:23 pm »
Is that handle of Belvidere still there?
nope...took a while, but many olives later it was gone
slack

« Reply #9358 on: July 09, 2019, 04:49:57 pm »
That sucks...we have gone there about 20 times...
closure of Mad Fox Brewing Company. Our last day of business will be Sunday, July 21st.
a bummer...have been there a few times, never made their fests

beers were just OK though....as they said it's a tough craft beer market in VA and being a restaurant owner has just got to suck....possibly the hardest most volatile jobs out there

but IMO this says it all

When we opened in 2010, there were 40 breweries in Virginia. Now there are close to 250.

especially with all the craft beer sluts who will sleep with any new brewery, even if the beer and service suck, to the detriment of good operations (full disclosure ...I'm a craft beer slut)

I've always thought this was the way to go
Brewery Taproom with little overhead, lower rents and outsourced food trucks.
slack

hutch

« Reply #9359 on: July 09, 2019, 05:02:31 pm »
I like their beer and the samplers were great