Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182441 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9720 on: February 27, 2020, 03:45:41 pm »
I'm making pasta tonight and just popped a nice bottle of malbec, should be a good night in the homefront.
I hope that is American Malbec and not Argentinian. The tariff on South American wines totally throws off the Space ABV/cost ratio.

Argentinian. I think it was $12.99 at Total Wine. Solid but unspectacular. Any American malbecs in particular you recommend? Am I a beer traitor for asking that on this thread?
To be honest, Malbec is one of my least favorite reds to drink (outside of a Bordeaux or other blend). I really don't think anywhere in America has ideal climate for single-varietal Malbec although I'm sure Central Coast Californians will take umbrage to that.

Come back when you have a Pinot, Syrah, or Grenache question, but I'm not our guy on this one.

I've always considered it a good value import (from Argentina, where the dollar goes far)...but what do I know.

My preference is for cabernet sauvignon and tempranillo. I couldn't even tell you what whites I like. Something oaky I guess.

I tried getting into wines, before I was into beer. Even took classes. Not that much of it stuck.

hutch

« Reply #9721 on: February 27, 2020, 04:42:39 pm »
OMG Malbec is the best

Pair with a nice steak...

Heaven

Best value wine in US is Alamos Malbec at BJs...$6.99

Second best: Trapiche at BJs $9.19

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:46:44 pm by hutch »

« Reply #9722 on: February 28, 2020, 01:29:25 pm »
CNN International@cnni
38% of Americans wouldn't buy Corona beer "under any circumstances" because of the coronavirus, according to a recent survey.
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9723 on: February 28, 2020, 01:42:34 pm »
OMG Malbec is the best

Heaven
See, this is what everyone says, and I honestly believe the fact I don't eat meat must in someway contribute to why I don't care for it.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #9724 on: February 28, 2020, 01:50:38 pm »
CNN International@cnni
38% of Americans wouldn't buy Corona beer "under any circumstances" because of the coronavirus, according to a recent survey.

Confession: I drank approximately 300 ounces of Corona last week.

« Reply #9725 on: February 28, 2020, 02:05:27 pm »
CNN International@cnni

you will be missed ...any epitaph you would like?  a place to send donations in lieu of Phish tickets?
slack

Yada

« Reply #9726 on: February 28, 2020, 02:16:10 pm »
CNN International@cnni

you will be missed ...any epitaph you would like?  a place to send donations in lieu of Phish tickets?

Mimi Fishman foundation please

« Reply #9727 on: February 28, 2020, 02:29:58 pm »
LVMH

Bagley

« Reply #9728 on: February 28, 2020, 02:30:34 pm »
CNN International@cnni

I wonder what the numbers are like for Tsingtao?

« Reply #9729 on: February 28, 2020, 02:42:19 pm »
Mimi Fishman foundation please

Interesting...and an early clue of the Phish origin story!

For many years before the Foundation was formally organized, Mimi spent time speaking across the Nation to raise awareness about glaucoma. Diagnosed with this disease at a young age, Mimi was deeply committed to educating the public about the importance of early testing and treatment.
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9730 on: February 28, 2020, 03:05:22 pm »
OMG Malbec is the best

Heaven
See, this is what everyone says, and I honestly believe the fact I don't eat meat must in someway contribute to why I don't care for it.

Always pair steaks with a good Cab. Accept nothing else.

« Reply #9731 on: February 28, 2020, 03:27:40 pm »
I know little about wine, this is what I thought was the proper pairing...beefy red with a steak
Malbec's while I think they are tasty, are pretty much a between a pino and a merlot
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9732 on: February 28, 2020, 04:17:36 pm »
OMG Malbec is the best

Heaven

It's tough pairing red wines with food when you don't eat meat. Same with some beers. When you see the suggested pairing and it says "game," you know you're going to have to be creative.

« Reply #9733 on: February 28, 2020, 04:29:27 pm »
It's tough pairing red wines with food when you don't eat meat. Same with some beers. When you see the suggested pairing and it says "game," you know you're going to have to be creative.
Oh, it's not all that bad. I generally just. . .

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

. . . make a "game" of it.

[Alexa, play Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who.]
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #9734 on: February 28, 2020, 05:55:12 pm »
I know little about wine, this is what I thought was the proper pairing...beefy red with a steak
Malbec's while I think they are tasty, are pretty much a between a pino and a merlot

Between a pino and merlot?

I don’t think so

I can only speak based on my experience with Argentina where until recently all people ate was meat and Malbec was the preferred pairing although Cabernet is excellent too

It should be noted when I say Malbec I am not talking about California Malbec...it’s pretty different

But Malbec is a pretty intense tasting wine

Anyways your mileage may vary