Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3222896 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10170 on: January 25, 2021, 06:43:23 pm »
Unreleased info? That's been making the rounds for about a month.

really?  i missed that, not that i'm that well informed... where?

Breakfast Stout and beers that use breakfast stout as the base

saying that KBS and the like are "based" on breakfast stout is a stretch.  the beers are similar because they're in the same style - there are only so many ways to make a breakfast stout - but the recipes are different.  KBS, for example, uses less oats, has more malt (higher gravity), higher percentage roast grains, has more bitterness, etc.

that's like saying a brewery's IPA #1 is "based" on IPA #2.  so if you're comfortable saying that all of Stone's myriad IPAs are "based" on their original IPA, then sure - BS is the base for all of their imperial stouts.
are the only good Founder's beers. Prove me wrong.

the above-mentioned Better Half is one example that comes to mind.

I stand corrected, but I stand by their stouts are the only beers of theirs I like...

And what sweets said regarding centennial ipa, I wouldn't not drink but I wouldn't buy it and I haven't had one in years.

Session ipas are one of my least favorite beers. If I want a light watery beer, I'll just drink a light watery beer.

Space Freely

« Reply #10171 on: January 25, 2021, 07:48:50 pm »
I agree, to an extent. Breakfast Stout is still my favorite Foumders beer. Their porter may be the best budget widely available porter out there. KBS passes the Space ratio test with flying colors. Frangelic Mountain was tasty.

Had a Better Half the other day myself. Tasty even if my actual better half hated it. Will still drink a Backwoods Bastard. Thought Marvelroast was very good.

Wouldn't bother with any of their hoppy beers.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10172 on: January 25, 2021, 08:06:32 pm »
I stand corrected, but I stand by their stouts are the only beers of theirs I like...

a defensible position.  not sure i'm 100% with you, but i'm 90% there...

Session ipas are one of my least favorite beers. If I want a light watery beer, I'll just drink a light watery beer.

back in the before times, when we could gather socially, i attended a bbq with a cooler full of yellow fizzy water-beer (bud light, IIRC), hard seltzers, and all day IPA.  the gathering lasted many hours and it was hot out so i had a chance to rotate through all the offerings.  all day ipa was by far the most interesting choice - i had a few cans of that, vs. one yellow fizzy water-beer and a third of a mango seltzer.  but to your point, perhaps i wasn't in the mood for yellow fizzy water-beer.
<sig>

Yada

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10174 on: January 26, 2021, 02:35:58 am »
https://newschoolbeer.com/home/2021/1/oakshire-brewing-recalls-theme-from-the-bottom-mango-cheesecake

this is a live example of:
fruit goop: for 99% of fruited beer, the goop is added during fermentation so all sugars are consumed.  fruit doesn't affect shelf stability.  HOWEVER, some yahoos like to add fruit at packaging - notably some milkshake IPA makers.  these beers will (or certainly should) come with a warning: KEEP COLD AND DRINK ASAP.  as long as the beer is in a fridge, the yeast should stay dormant and all is well.  if you suspect that a can of warm beer has fresh fruit in it (again, a rare thing given how dangerous it is), just give it a light squeeze while ensuring that your face isn't in the way of the top/opening since that's where it will fail: if the can is rock-hard, back away quickly and call the bomb squad.

i take issue with something the article wrote:
Cans... are bulging and at risk to burst due to visible signs of refermentation in the package. Brewing with boat loads of fruit and strange ingredients that interact with brewing yeast in unexpected ways can result in similarly unpredictable side effects

brewing with fruit and weird ingredients doesn't result in unpredictable side effects. someone effed up by not waiting long enough for the fruit to referment so it was a failure of quality control.  but instead to owning up with "sorry, we goofed" they're trying to blame it on "ingredients that interact with brewing yeast in unexpected ways", AKA magical thinking.  it's insulting their customers, IMO.

Cans... are bulging and at risk to burst due to visible signs of refermentation in the package. but by quickly reacting in a responsible manner Oakshire shows that they are invested in a quality product.

aaaaand the bullshit continues.  if you're invested in a quality product, you put processes in place to ensure you don't release exploding cans.  fucking up then trying to mop up the mess by making consumers responsible for the safe disposition of bottle grenades isn't dedication to quality.  that's marketing happy-talk.

this information isn't on any of their social media sites.  from the article: "the majority of the cans sold online via pre-sale. All consumers who purchased this beer have been emailed a copy of this press release."  so for the minority who didn't buy via presale and didn't get a press release mailed to them - too bad so sad?  also, they're confident that 100% of their presale purchasers will read that email and it won't end up in their spam folder?  no need to alarm the public and take a reputational hit, nothing to see here folks!

those things can explode and hurt someone.  it's a recklessly stupid thing to do on top of a previous recklessly stupid thing to do. 
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #10175 on: January 26, 2021, 03:09:36 pm »

« Reply #10176 on: January 26, 2021, 03:11:15 pm »
slack

« Reply #10178 on: January 26, 2021, 03:20:52 pm »

Seriously?
Well I thought it was sold out and made some post that I was going to buy some, but was too late
then I saw it was not on sale until 1/28
but this 3 pack is looking to cost $190...so you did outdo yourself
although these are ~50oz each

I will say, I think purchasing one $25-35 bottle of beer for a special occasion is legit
but I personally don't have 6 special occasions that I can think of
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:32:55 pm by OfficeOfTheFormerHatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10179 on: January 26, 2021, 03:27:56 pm »
I just bought a four pack of Foam. (have never had any Foam before)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:37:04 pm by Space Freely »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10180 on: January 26, 2021, 03:29:45 pm »
Very jealous.

Space Freely

« Reply #10181 on: January 26, 2021, 03:39:41 pm »

Seriously?
Well I thought it was sold out and made some post that I was going to buy some, but was too late

I will say, I think purchasing one $25-35 bottle of beer for a special occasion is legit

That's a paycheck's worth of 529 money, right there. Though 120 euros is $146, so maybe your math is off?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10182 on: January 26, 2021, 04:34:59 pm »

Seriously?

we're all out of luck - they won't ship alcohol to the US.  check out their shipping page.  you'll need someone in euroland ta act as your proxy (i.e. they'll need to re-ship it to you).
https://shop.3fonteinen.be/pages/shipping-return-policy-en
https://shipping.3fonteinen.be/

nice idea tho... i have ordered lambic from "belgium in a box", previously.  t'was expensive, but how else are you gonna get this stuff?
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10183 on: January 26, 2021, 04:46:31 pm »
Meh. You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers.

Yada

« Reply #10184 on: January 26, 2021, 04:48:45 pm »

Seriously?

we're all out of luck - they won't ship alcohol to the US.  check out their shipping page.  you'll need someone in euroland ta act as your proxy (i.e. they'll need to re-ship it to you).
https://shop.3fonteinen.be/pages/shipping-return-policy-en
https://shipping.3fonteinen.be/

nice idea tho... i have ordered lambic from "belgium in a box", previously.  t'was expensive, but how else are you gonna get this stuff?

Oh, we're in luck. They use proxy services that you select at checkout.