Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3203685 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #11145 on: September 19, 2022, 01:44:56 pm »
I am going to Richmond for a few days, for work.  I may, if I am lucky, get to go to 1 brewery.  Which should it be?

I love sours, ipas of all kinds (still looking for another great black ipa) wilde ales and red lagers. Sometimes brown ales, but they better be excellent. 

Thanks.
Veil or Triple Crossing is good IPAs. Sours I don’t know but people say Strangeways.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #11146 on: September 19, 2022, 01:47:25 pm »
I am going to Richmond for a few days, for work.  I may, if I am lucky, get to go to 1 brewery.  Which should it be?

I love sours, ipas of all kinds (still looking for another great black ipa) wilde ales and red lagers. Sometimes brown ales, but they better be excellent. 

Thanks.

You should hit every brewery and consume 3oz at each one.

GAY,GUY

« Reply #11147 on: September 19, 2022, 01:51:12 pm »
I expected, nothing less.

Space Freely

« Reply #11148 on: September 19, 2022, 01:55:56 pm »

Thanks.
Veil or Triple Crossing is good IPAs. Sours I don’t know but people say Strangeways.

Agree on Veil and Triple Crossing for IPA's.

If you're looking for crazy fruited smoothie sours, the answer is The Answer. Vasen and Veil would be a distant second.

If you're looking for *real* sours, ala Pen Druid, Tabol might be your best best. The Veil also does some excellent wild ales, and if you're there on a Friday night, the Veil Funkhaust location is the place to go. But they're only open on Fridays, and their other locations are most limited on the sours.

I once went to Strangeways (the one on Fredericksburg) for beer. And a second time for a Cracker show. I definitely wouldn't recommend any of  their beers.

And don't sleep on Mekong, where you can get some good Vietnamese food and the best draft list in Virginia.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11149 on: September 19, 2022, 02:02:25 pm »
Beer aside, Mekong is delicious. It looks fucking disgusting location-wise but man, the Vietnamese food is so on-point.
LVMH

GAY,GUY

« Reply #11150 on: September 19, 2022, 02:06:16 pm »
Seeing how I have never had beer from Veil before, I will try to go there. Hopefully I will be able to find decent restaurants to hit as well.

« Reply #11151 on: September 19, 2022, 02:15:21 pm »
(still looking for another great black ipa)
keep me posted as I'm always on the search 
Also look for schwarzbiers...as they are the OG black ipa (yes it's a lager and not that hoppy, but is nothing like a stout or a porter)

I think The Veil is the brewery to go to.  The Answer (mekong) is likely second (if not first) choice
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 02:16:57 pm by Special-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #11152 on: September 19, 2022, 05:02:25 pm »
Yada, here is your chance to make the beer you think 3 stars should have
https://dcbeer.com/2022/09/19/want-to-buy-a-brewery-3-stars-for-sale/
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11153 on: September 19, 2022, 05:22:07 pm »
Also look for schwarzbiers...as they are the OG black ipa (yes it's a lager and not that hoppy, but is nothing like a stout or a porter)

schwarzbiers aren't hoppy at all.  yes, they have a dark color, and they're not ashy/roasty/etc. like stouts or porters, so that's two things they have in common with black IPA... but that's it.  seeing as how the #1 characteristic of IPAs is hoppiness, i just can't put schwarzbiers and ipas in the same basket.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #11154 on: September 19, 2022, 07:38:31 pm »
I'm planning on brewing a schwartzbier this Fall/Winter. The style they most remind me of is the dunkel. Except it's less malty sweet and more roasty dry.

Sometimes called black lagers, they may remind some of German-style dunkels, but schwarzbiers are drier, darker and more roast-oriented.These very dark brown to black beers have a surprisingly pale-colored foam head (not excessively brown) with good cling quality. They have a mild roasted malt character without the associated bitterness. Malt flavor and aroma is at low to medium levels of sweetness.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11155 on: September 19, 2022, 07:43:33 pm »
good cling quality

I've never understood this about OTT beer reviews. Who gives a shit?

« Reply #11156 on: September 19, 2022, 10:21:34 pm »
It’s all about that lace

Also I said they are not hoppy and not an ale,  but I personally think if you like a black ipa, you will like a Schwartzbeir
Like, if you like a pils, you will likely enjoy a kolsch
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 10:24:34 pm by Special-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11157 on: September 21, 2022, 02:21:00 pm »
i think i've found a beer that Space may be willing to drink more than 6 oz of, given the partners in this collab:

Downtown Crown Wine and Beer
Sept 18
  ·
#AllDMVEverything   
A top tier worldwide level brewery, in collaboration with two local beer beercentric destinations. DMV born and raised ownership and teams, paying homage to the beer scene right here in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. We proudly present:🔥 'All DMV Everything' Imperial IPA!!
😮 Dropping later this week 😮
🥶 Other Half Brewing Company collabo 🥶
Exclusive in MD @ Downtown Crown Wine and Beer www.downtowncrownwinestore.com
Exclusive in VA @ Dominion Wine and Beer www.dominionwineandbeerstore.com

update: some actual info about the beer.  phantasm + thiolized yeast = cutting edge of IPAs...

"'All DMV Everything' Imperial IPA (8.0% ABV) "We teamed with our long time friends at Downtown Crown and Dominion to bring back our previous collab with a new twist. Like it's "DTC" predecessor we went with a soft Double IPA base hopped with Citra, Galaxy, Motueka, and Enigma. To take those tropical flavors even further, we added Phantasm and used a thiol-enhancing yeast strain. The result is an explosion of passion fruit, pineapple, lychee, and a hint of grapefruit."⁣
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 08:20:33 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11158 on: September 21, 2022, 09:33:36 pm »
I would drink the shit outta that beer.

GAY,GUY

« Reply #11159 on: September 21, 2022, 11:07:39 pm »
If a flying ball, doesn't kill you, after drinking it = fail.