Author Topic: Concert Posters  (Read 37860 times)

Bags

Re: Concert Posters
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2004, 02:45:00 pm »
You know, it never occured to me to hang them at work -- I can keep shopping!

That's funny, though.  I bought art for my office, and it was a BITCH -- so much of what I liked wasn't suitable (nipples showing through gauzy gowns, or some such thing).

grotty

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2004, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:

That's funny, though.  I bought art for my office, and it was a BITCH -- so much of what I liked wasn't suitable (nipples showing through gauzy gowns, or some such thing).
damn misbehaving nipples   :D

mankie

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2004, 03:02:00 pm »
The Smiths - 0
 Beautiful South - 0
 Waterboys - 0

What a crap selection!

mankie

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2004, 03:04:00 pm »

grotty

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2004, 03:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  http://www.gigposters.com/posters.php?poster=8630

Mind you...I like this one.
There you go...something for everybody.
 Order it - get it framed - hang it up...you'll be the envy of all.

mankie

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2004, 03:06:00 pm »
http://www.gigposters.com/posters.php?poster=6527

Just one for the Pogues, and it's shite!  :(

Bags

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2004, 03:10:00 pm »
I agree, Mank.  I'd get that in a sec, but it's SOLD OUT (like Grot's cool Datsuns poster and the Sleater-Kinney I like...)

mankie

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2004, 03:10:00 pm »
http://www.gigposters.com/posters.php?poster=3500

This is the kind of poster I was talking about that used to be all over the place in Manc....imagine how much an original would be worth these days....

Bags

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2004, 03:30:00 pm »
oy, can you even f***ing imagine that show?  That's another fun aspect to perusing the posters -- some amazing shows.  Like Bob Mould, Peter Case and American Music Club.  Or Foo Fighters opening for Mike Watt.  Or the "Foo Fighters vs Beastie Boys" show.  DAMN.

Originally posted by mankie:
  http://www.gigposters.com/posters.php?poster=3500

This is the kind of poster I was talking about that used to be all over the place in Manc....imagine how much an original would be worth these days....

grotty

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2004, 03:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  oy, can you even f***ing imagine that show?  That's another fun aspect to perusing the posters -- some amazing shows.  Like Bob Mould, Peter Case and American Music Club.  Or Foo Fighters opening for Mike Watt.  Or the "Foo Fighters vs Beastie Boys" show.  DAMN.

Someday you'll be able to say that about the shows you're seeing now. The best possible poster scenario is to have one from the incredible show  you were at .

ggw

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2004, 03:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:
 Someday you'll be able to say that about the shows you're seeing now. The best possible poster scenario is to have one from the incredible show  you were at .
I tried to get a poster from the Hives show a couple of years ago, but it is sold out.

I did get one from a D Plan show I attended.

My understanding from reading the gigposters forum is that it is the venue that commissions or authorizes the posters.  Perhaps some aspiring graphic artist who reads these boards wants to see if the 9:30 (or Black Cat) would be up for a gig poster series??

Venerable Bede

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2004, 03:50:00 pm »
i've got one poster from a show that i attended. . .it's a kuhn from a tool/flaming lips/failure show in austin in 1994.  oh, and the white stripes were selling numbered posters of the show at the smith center which i picked up.

here's a picture of the tool poster: http://wednesday13.morpheus.net/tool.jpg
OU812

grotty

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2004, 03:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

I tried to get a poster from the Hives show a couple of years ago, but it is sold out.

I did get one from a D Plan show I attended.

My understanding from reading the gigposters forum is that it is the venue that commissions or authorizes the posters.  Perhaps some aspiring graphic artist who reads these boards wants to see if the 9:30 (or Black Cat) would be up for a gig poster series?? [/b][/QUOTE]

Wow - that Hives poster would be great - I was there too.

I think you mentioned a Modest Mouse/Shins show from a few years ago. That's another good example.

An artist at Flatstock told me that they also sometimes just make posters for bands & venues they like. It's a much more risky venture as you're hoping someone pays you. The preferred approach is to do this only for a while - make a name - and then work on a commission basis. Which is then a sweet deal. They get paid to create - the reproduction is paid for - they get copies - and can then sell those.

grotty

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2004, 04:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  i've got one poster from a show that i attended. . .it's a kuhn from a tool/flaming lips/failure show in austin in 1994.  oh, and the white stripes were selling numbered posters of the show at the smith center which i picked up.

here's a picture of the tool poster:   http://wednesday13.morpheus.net/tool.jpg  
That's definitely one I would like.

I had this Black Love era Afghan Whigs T with a silhouetted klansmen hanging from a tree. Strangely, no one else liked it
    ;)

SPARX

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2004, 04:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:
 [
 I had this Black Love era Afghan Whigs T with a silhouetted klansmen hanging from a tree. Strangely, no one else liked it
     ;)  [/QB]
Cool shirt.I'd buy that in a heartbeat.Was it just the pic or was there writing as well?