Author Topic: DC Parking Shenanigans  (Read 33609 times)

Kubacheck

Re: DC Parking Shenanigans
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 08:31:04 pm »
wow, twice in 180 days constitutes a "habitual offender", or someone who possibly lives there??? not that I drive into DC daily, or possibly even monthly, sometimes I take the Metro, but I know it's more than twice every six months..... this type of "enforcement" is not specific to DC, way back in the day, I had to live in a "month to month" apartment rental community in Columbia while waiting to be able to move into my new home, and apparently the MD authorities would troll the parking lots there to see if the same "out of state" cars were parked there nightly....... the difference, of course, is that it was a RESIDENTIAL community, no reason to be there nightly unless you lived there, as opposed to parking on the street in a business area, right next to a nightclub and numerous restaurants, that'll draw MD-VA residents on a nightly basis.....

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 08:49:10 pm »
I actually got a wrongful ticket about 3 weeks ago.  But instead of bitching about it, and equating parking enforcement to Nazism, I sent a letter in, and got a card saying my case is being "adjudicated."   In a few weeks I expect to hear back that the ticket has been dropped.     On to the next white whine.

...so...are you in favor of the policy that kicked off this thread or not?

eltee

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 08:55:31 pm »
I just remembered I got a ticket for parking arse in (or was it nose in) down on the river in Georgetown. Eveidently you're only supposed to park **** in, whichever was the opposite of how I parked.

No biggie....but I was in G'town a lot so checked the signs out of interest and there was no notice to park in any particular way so so contested the ticket. I was told "you should've known" which is a typical DC government retarded attitude to take, so I told them they should know I'm not paying their fucking fine.

I never heard a peep from them over it.
I know whereabouts you refer. It's back in only (arse). There is a sign - one - a small one at that - facing out (toward opposing traffic) placed at the first parking space. Yet, there are 50 or so parking spaces down the line, so if you parked further away, there is no way you would see it. People get tickets there (or did, I don't know if some of those spaces are still there) all the time. And the sign went missing or crumpled from something, so again, know what your are talking about and it was a joke w/ meter maids running about and irate people all day. (bldg used to face there)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:57:47 pm by Nomeimporta »

eltee

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »
...... the difference, of course, is that it was a RESIDENTIAL community, no reason to be there nightly unless you lived there, as opposed to parking on the street in a business area, right next to a nightclub and numerous restaurants, that'll draw MD-VA residents on a nightly basis.....
are the tickets only placed around businesses such as the above? (offices do not apply?/certain areas of dc?)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 09:10:00 pm »
...... the difference, of course, is that it was a RESIDENTIAL community, no reason to be there nightly unless you lived there, as opposed to parking on the street in a business area, right next to a nightclub and numerous restaurants, that'll draw MD-VA residents on a nightly basis.....
are the tickets only placed around businesses such as the above? (offices do not apply?/certain areas of dc?)

Even residential communities have their visitors. In this day and age, it's not in the least uncommon for one to spend the night with one's lover who may live on the other side of the line.

Regarding DC, there's also those who work at night and can't even take the Metro home due to it not operating after certain hours. Lots and lots of different scenarios. This is definitely a very flawed policy and made worse by some over-zealous patrols and/or quotas types of bosses. Seems they would need more than 2 occasions, even 2 days apart, to rightfully nab someone for such an offense.

Kubacheck

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 09:38:52 pm »

Even residential communities have their visitors. In this day and age, it's not in the least uncommon for one to spend the night with one's lover who may live on the other side of the line.

Regarding DC, there's also those who work at night and can't even take the Metro home due to it not operating after certain hours. Lots and lots of different scenarios. This is definitely a very flawed policy and made worse by some over-zealous patrols and/or quotas types of bosses. Seems they would need more than 2 occasions, even 2 days apart, to rightfully nab someone for such an offense.

agreed..... I just can't imagine having to register my car for a 6 month exemption simply because I have a friend that lives in DC..... and then there's the fact that the 930 Club is right next to a University, which, no matter what college you're near, there are always lots of cars with out of state plates.....

eltee

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 09:44:48 pm »
yeah people who spend $ to drink and bring revenue to DC and then NOT drive home drunk and stay at a friend's...

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 09:59:09 pm »
"Gee, honey. Things seem to be getting serious between us. Maybe we should take our relationship to the next phase. Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I'm going to apply for a 6 month non-resident parking exemption! That is, if you'll have me."

The following week, all the girls coo over their work mate's lover's parking exemption.

Then some will go as far as having parking exemption parties and dinners. Of course, only the very immediate locals and those who haven't been in the area in the past 6 months will be able to attend.

The guys will be ragging on the male with 'ball and chain' jokes while secretly envying his parking exemption status.

Right out of some weird futurist science fiction novel.

Kubacheck

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 10:09:20 pm »
"Gee, honey. Things seem to be getting serious between us. Maybe we should take our relationship to the next phase. Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I'm going to apply for a 6 month non-resident parking exemption! That is, if you'll have me."

The following week, all the girls coo over their work mate's lover's parking exemption.

Then some will go as far as having parking exemption parties and dinners. Of course, only the very immediate locals and those who haven't been in the area in the past 6 months will be able to attend.

The guys will be ragging on the male with 'ball and chain' jokes while secretly envying his parking exemption status.

Right out of some weird futurist science fiction novel.

ha!!! glad I wasn't sipping my beer when I read this, it'd be all over the computer now......

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 11:07:22 pm »

brilliant.
<sig>

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 09:12:00 am »
the indignant over the top bleating about this is just amazing...   suck it up or stay away...
_\|/_

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 09:50:04 am »
the indignant over the top bleating about this is just amazing...   suck it up or stay away...

You sound like Rhett when he used to live in the district.

BTW - it's no secret that MD, VA and DC cops target cars from the other two *states for tickets. That's been going on for years.

* I consider DC a state because after all...it's in a right fucking state.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 10:01:26 am »
DC should have a sensible commuter tax that allows the city to recoup its costs for catering to suburbanites all day.  Because that will never happen, I say soak the MD/VA folks as much as possible.

Sure, that results in individual absurdities like this situation, but it's no more absurd than DC residents subsidizing suburbanites for using their city to the tune of more than $1 billion annually.
(o|o)

hutch

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 10:25:36 am »
DC should have a sensible commuter tax that allows the city to recoup its costs for catering to suburbanites all day.  Because that will never happen, I say soak the MD/VA folks as much as possible.

Sure, that results in individual absurdities like this situation, but it's no more absurd than DC residents subsidizing suburbanites for using their city to the tune of more than $1 billion annually.

bingo.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2011, 10:29:51 am »
I say MD and VA should claim the land back they donated to establish DC and fuck the lot of you townies.