Author Topic: new Brit indie night to start this Sun, Jan.18th  (Read 20957 times)

mankie

Re: new Brit indie night to start this Sun, Jan.18th
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2004, 01:56:00 pm »
Actually psuedo scouse's comment just reminded me of something funny.....Last time we were in Ireland we went to a comedy club which after the stand up routines becomes a nightclub...anyway, there was one comedian up who was really giving us Brits a hard time. He said he'd just been to England and the new 'thing' is Carribbean nights where they decorate the room with palm trees and put sand on the dance floor, and everyone wears beach wear and they play reggae music. He said he wonders if they have an English night in the bars in the Carribbean where they paint the ceiling gray, turn on the sprinkler system and everyone dresses in black and gray and they all sit around pissing and moaning all night.

You probably had to be there to get the full humour but it was hilarious.

markie

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2004, 03:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  markie, that reminds me. . .ordered a new powerbook and ipod last week. . .so, i'll be able to get you the red house painters stuff sometime soon.

I think I got the whole red house painters back catologue from Brennser.....

I think it was something else, but cant put my finger on what.

Congratulations on the new mac and pod......Which ipod did you get? I just got a new laptop at work it was funny last night at home having both the 15 and 17 inch laptops........

Oh and I know Brit beer isnt piss, But I am sure Americans think only roads should be warm and flat.

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2004, 03:25:00 pm »
Women who are warm and flat are perfecly wonderful as well....or warm and curvy. or warm and anything in betweeen. or warm and married to me, and only those who are.

Originally posted by mark e smith:
  [

Oh and I know Brit beer isnt piss, But I am sure Americans think only roads should be warm and flat.

tiia

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2004, 04:03:00 pm »
:cool:  would be nice to have a venue for all the Morrissey music out there, its true you can't dance to all the english tunes.  

:eek:  heard that Mac and HP just signed contract to create a IBM/Windows compatable version of the I-pod.

Anyone going to the Starsailor show on the 24th?

ratioci nation

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2004, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by tiia:
    :eek:   heard that Mac and HP just signed contract to create a IBM/Windows compatable version of the I-pod.

ipods have been windows compatible for a long time

hp signed a deal with apple to sell hp branded ipods and preinstall itunes on hp computers

Bags

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2004, 04:18:00 pm »
Yes.  Where are all the brit pop DJ sets now?  Granted, I'm thinking more on the lines of Mousetrap with dancing, but mostly DJ nights are techno/electro/dance....

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Do we need another venue playing Britpop?

How about, Rhett, why dont you just Fuck off.
[/b]

tiia

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
[/qb][/QUOTE]ipods have been windows compatible for a long time

hp signed a deal with apple to sell hp branded ipods and preinstall itunes on hp computers [/QB][/QUOTE]

details....details, I can't be bothered with details.  Maybe if I made enough money to purchase this technology I'd have known that. Still I was right about them signing a contract with HP.

Bags

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2004, 04:28:00 pm »
I agree with you, FOGC -- the playlist you posted is not something you can hear just about anywhere.  There's a night at the Acme in Annapolis on Wednesdays, but I'm not going all the way out there midweek for a dj night.  And Mousetrap has just gotten out of control, both crowdwise and playlist-wise.  I'm not sure what other 80s brit pop nights you're referring to, but most of them are really just 80s nights all full of Cyndi Lauper, "Come On Eileen" and the Go-Gos.

Atmosphere seems to be pretty much its own thing.  I think Rhett's talking not just about britpop/post punk, but all alternative music but alt.country.  Which is a much wider swath.

Originally posted by friend of Guy Chadwick:

Do we need another venue playing Britpop?

I think this is a fair question.  But I think you will find that this event will have its own flavor apart from other events that are out there.  I think the idea behind it is to play a lot of stuff that doesn't get played out much if at all.  For example, I'm a big fan of early 90s Brit shoegaze, but where can I go to hear that?  Mark doesn't play a whole lot of that at Mousetrap. So if I want to hear a night that plays a healthy dose of House of Love, Catherine Wheel, Adorable, Kitchens of Distinction, My Bloody Valentine, Moose, Ride, Pale Saints, etc., I'm out of luck.  And a lot of the 80s Brit Pop nights in town focus more on the kitchy or mainstream stuff.  Try walking into one of those nights and requesting The Go-Betweens or Felt and they'll look at you like your speaking Greek... [/b]

Venerable Bede

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2004, 05:08:00 pm »

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  markie, that reminds me. . .ordered a new powerbook and ipod last week. . .so, i'll be able to get you the red house painters stuff sometime soon.

I think I got the whole red house painters back catologue from Brennser.....

I think it was something else, but cant put my finger on what.

Congratulations on the new mac and pod......Which ipod did you get? I just got a new laptop at work it was funny last night at home having both the 15 and 17 inch laptops........
  [/b]
i thought he gave you the a house catalog?  i got the large and in charge 20GB.  figure that i don't want to carry all of those cds with me on road trips anymore.
OU812

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2004, 05:16:00 pm »
Except on the ipods of about haif the people on this board.

Originally posted by Bags:
 [QB] I agree with you, FOGC -- the playlist you posted is not something you can hear just about anywhere.

tiia

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »
  Except on the ipods of about haif the people on this board.

Originally posted by Bags:
 [QB] I agree with you, FOGC -- the playlist you posted is not something you can hear just about anywhere. [/b]
never leave home without it.

brennser

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2004, 05:23:00 pm »
i thought he gave you the a house catalog?
yeah so did I....(and all I get is smartarse comments about list songs)    ;)  

red house painters was from someone else

been furiously ripping CDs the last few weeks now that I have my new computer - am very close to finally getting off my ass and getting an ipod - either 20 or 40 gig

markie

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2004, 06:06:00 pm »
Yes Bede and Brennser, I was mistaken..... I dont really know what I was thinking.....

I would like some redhouse painters...

So Brennser, did you get a mac, or something evil?

brennser

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2004, 06:09:00 pm »
something evil (hangs head in shame)

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2004, 07:12:00 pm »

Originally posted by friend of Guy Chadwick:

Oh and Guy, why did you play the Wedding Present and not Cinerama?
Because I don't really know Cinerama as well as The Wedding Present.  I've heard mixed things about them and have yet to pick up an album.   I'll definitely keep them in mind during my next cd buying binge though... [/b]
I have a feeling that I should burn you some CDs.....

Actually will Mp3s do? And can I put a whole load of them on a DVD for you? I think I have the whole Cinerama catologue. Personally I dont think David Gedge's charms have been stronger. The last couple of shows at the blackcat were pretty great. [/b]
Wow---thanks for the generous offer.  Any CD or DVD burns would be most welcome---I do have a CD player that plays MP3 compatible CDs so MP3s are great.  I'm definitely interested in hearing Cinerama more now after reading your recommendation...